Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading into the high holiday season, Wii continues to lose share and PS3 and Xbox continue to trade jabs with the release of Move and Kinect providing no clear advantage for either. Sony's 1MM YTD unit lead hasn't really gotten any bigger or smaller since early in the year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In terms of North America, Xbox 360 is starting to win out over Wii and PS3... Sony has to be worried about the recent North American sales of the PS3.

Don't know if its the Kinect-effect, but the 5 year old 360 is showing great legs...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
What parameters are you looking at?

December data shows PS3 and Xbox running close in many markets and recent time frames.

Xbox did crush all in the weeks surrounding the Kinect launch. Of course that doesn't mean actual consumers grabbing product off shelves, so it will be a matter of how fast that inventory moves and needs to replenished.

At the beginning of this generation, Xbox 360 had about a 5 MM unit headstart on PS3, then floundering by Sony allowed that lead to grow to almost 9 MM. Since then, a variety of factors have closed the gap to under 4 MM. That's a hell of a comeback. Will the gap keep shrinking or not?

Heading into the end of their fiscals, MS and Sony are cheerfully price chopping. I see a battle similar to the old days of Civic vs Taurus, where each car maker was practically giving them away at the end just to claim the 'most sold' banner for a given year.

Here in Canada, Sony slashed $50 off $300 for most of December and has been layering on top of that with heavy pack-in's. Microsoft has gleefully chopped their basic console from $199 to a $129-149 range.

I still believe a lot of Xbox Slim sales are repeat customers looking to move on from their RROD experiences. I do wonder what motion gaming will mean to each. The high price of their respective motion accessories tells me both are profitable on every sale, and both have big margin room to chop if that fight ever gets going. I can easily see Kinects and Moves well under $100 when sales need to get spurred.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Neil, although you may be right about some slim purchases being about getting over the RROD experience, but you have to also consider that a PS3 purchase could simply be for blu-ray/media purposes and not gaming related.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That may have been true in the early years, but most BD players are far cheaper than a PS3 these days.

One can pitch the numbers in a variety of ways, but I really don't think there's a clear winner when the whole picture is examined in balance. Thus, speaking as a businessman and not a gamer, I don't think the XBox program has represented a wise investment for Microsoft share owners.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
What amazes me is that after more than four years, the Wii continues to crush the other two consoles. A 40% marketshare!

I still remember in 2006 when everyone scoffed at the Wii before it came out. Then when it came out, everyone said that after a year, XBOX and PS3 would crush Wii. Now 4 years later and the Wii is still number one.

Totals Worldwide according to VGA Chartz for week end Dec 25th

• Wii - 82.9 million or 46.7% marketshare
  • Xbox 360 - 49.4 million (27.8%)
  • PS 3 - 45.1 million (25.4%)
If they stopped selling the Wii today, it wouldn't be until sometime in 2014, (At 12 or 13 million units a year) before they passed Nintendo.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That may have been true in the early years, but most BD players are far cheaper than a PS3 these days.

One can pitch the numbers in a variety of ways, but I really don't think there's a clear winner when the whole picture is examined in balance. Thus, speaking as a businessman and not a gamer, I don't think the XBox program has represented a wise investment for Microsoft share owners.
Same can be said about the PS3, they're still losing money on every console, are they not?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They certainly lost a LOT on every console in the first years, but I think they have brought that into line. (don't know for sure, though...anyone?)

On a program level, though, the Playstation franchise has earned a fortune for Sony. The XBox franchise has lost many, many billions of dollars.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
On a program level, though, the Playstation franchise has earned a fortune for Sony. The XBox franchise has lost many, many billions of dollars.
99semaj, you are such a ******. So the Playstation 1 and 2 made a fortune for Sony. What does that have to do with PS3? You are so fanatical for Sony that you distort the facts. Your hatred for MS ignores the fact that the XBOX franchise is now earning money.

Your comment " I really don't think there's a clear winner when the whole picture is examined in balance" is incredible. How can you be so blind. Look at the numbers, Nintendo is kicking ass. Nintendo's profits over the last five or six years have been huge. How you cannot call that a clear win is beyond belief!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, I apologize for ignoring Nintendo in my comment. In my mind, I was thinking MS and Sony, and ignored the obvious front runner.

Second of all, X360 positive cash flow in recent quarters comes nowhere near making money overall, and it's doubtful IMHO that it can break even before the program ends.

Third, "******" is a deeply offensive sexual insult, and has no place in civilized conversation. I'm shocked and disappointed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It definitely is a different story from 07 where exclusives were bombing (Lair, Heavenly Sword) & games were going multiplatform (Devil May Cry 4, Assassins Creed, Virtua Fighter 5). I had a hard time justifying my purchase when it first released because truth be told there was just nothing there going for it worth that launch price. Blu Ray player Lite wasn't going to be enough with one or two decent exclusives imo.

So without sounding too much like a fanboy zealot i personally have to say PS3 is the leading console for exclusives now, no doubts about it but i still love the 360 equally as much for the Gears, ME's, Halo's & online service.

2011 i feel is going to be heavily PS3 dominated with SONY focusing on the exclusives where as MS are raping everything with the sh!tty kinect gimmick which is a big turn off for me personally.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Core gamers dont really need an excuse for why they switch to a ps3, because the ps3 is the best console to have if youre a smart gamer. The thing about the ps3 is that it offers more to the core gamers in what the console was made for and that are games and a wider variety of them featuring high technological qualities that aren't possible on other consoles. The ps3 does basically everything the other consoles could do and more while having a free online. No justification needed when explaining why you get a ps3 because its like telling someone why you went from a pinto to a new Nissan gtr.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hate seeing a thread flame out, so with respect, the topic is the console war from a business POV, not a gamer POV.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
From a business point of view, here is an interesting article that points out how, ten years ago, Apple used Sony as a model of what it wanted to be as a company.

Fast forward ten years. Apple is a huge success, and Sony is having serious issues. The article suggests that Sony's position as a content owner creates internal conflicts and prevents their CE devisions from having a focused vision when creating consumer electronic devices.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Third, "******" is a deeply offensive sexual insult, and has no place in civilized conversation. I'm shocked and disappointed.
see point 3 of definition of ******:
from the urban slang dictionary.

Deliberate mispelling of the word 'fanboy' typically referring to an annoying, immature fan of a specific video game console.

fanbois typically spend most of their free time telling anyone who will listen how perfect thier console of choice is, and how inferior all other products are. fanbois will not stop annoying other people until everyone they know is converted to their way of thinking.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=******

To be honest, if it has a sexual slang, I have no idea what it means. It's a common term when discussing products of this nature and I'm sure whoever posted it had no intent of sexual insult.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Core gamers dont really need an excuse for why they switch to a ps3, because the ps3 is the best console to have if youre a smart gamer. The thing about the ps3 is that it offers more to the core gamers in what the console was made for and that are games and a wider variety of them featuring high technological qualities that aren't possible on other consoles.
Please explain what is meant by a smart gamer? How does the PS3 offer more to the "core" gamer?

I own all 3 consoles and consider myself a gamer (when i have the time). Would I consider myself a smart gamer? I have no idea what that means. If it refers to playing games both online and offline that I like including Gears, CoD, God of War, Dead Space, Uncharted etc there is no clear console winner its the one that offers the best experience to me.

I enjoy my PS3 for the exclusives like Uncharted and God of War but to put it on a pedestal without explaining exactly what you mean is nothing more than fanboyism.

Also your prior post referring to the Kinect and MS strangely omitted the part about Sony entering the motion controlled gaming arena with their Move.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought 2010 was a great year for games. I know because I bought a lot of 2010 releases. However, 2011 will be even better. The line-up of games is the deepest yet and most of them will only be on one console, the PS3. As for the move it sucks as well ,i own one hardly use it .Used it in heavy rain ,bout it,hopefully it improves next year ,peace out ,happy new year to all!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts