Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed today that the Global HD logo was only half visible during a couple of my favorite shows... the picture seemed zoomed-in.

Aren't we paying for HD? Is Telus at fault or Global?

Thanks for any help / thoughts on this!

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You may have inadvertently invoked a stretch mode on your TV or STB (on the STB with Bell it's the * button on the remote that you press repeatedly to cycle through the stretch modes - I'm not sure if it's the same with Telus). If the only channel that's "incorrect" is Global, it may have been a glitch with them. Were all the other channels OK? If other channels were affected, check the stretch modes on the TV and STB.

Here's the FAQ on Stretch Modes.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

That's what I thought at first as well, but CTV HD (one channel over) no problem.

If I compare global bc SD with the HD channel, you can clearly see that the image (viewable screen) is the same, but stretched.

It wasn't like this before... So I guess they might be doing some maintenance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm watching today's survivor... same thing as last night. Th global logo is half visible.

I'm gonna compare the SD survivor (8pm pacific) with the hd (5pm pacific) that I recorded.

Will post back later tonight.

It's really annoying...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When comparing the SD & HD images of Survivor, there is not much difference in the viewable image... the SD version actually showed MORE than the HD version, even though it had the black bars on either side!

Granted the difference was not much (depending on the actual scene)... hard to explain.

It seems to me that:

- they are showing an HD show on an SD channel (narrowed everyone looks skinny)
- they are showing an HD show "SD cropped" in an HD channel

Even some of the commercials in the HD channel are zoomed-in to the point where text is off screen.

I'm gonna give it a few more days and then call telus to see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
On some TVs, if the programme is a 4:3 upconvert (ie with black bars) and not true HD, there is an option to stretch that image. This option to stretch can be found in the user menu for the TV and is usually described in the operating manual.

However, this would happen on all 4:3 upconverts on HD channels. Not all programming on HD channels is true HD. I therefore have the following questions.

1. Is the survivor programme (and other Global programming) you're watching true HD or an upconvert?

2. Do you see black bars on commercials or other upconverted programming or does your TV stretch this sort of material? For example, on CTV if there is a 4:3 upconvert on, do you see 4:3 with black bars - many commercials are 4:3.

3. Since it often takes a second for this auto-stretch to take effect, often the image will be 4:3 for a short while and then "snap" stretch to fill the 16:9 screen.

If this is happening, then you need to turn that option off. Here's the Black Bar FAQ, also referenced in the stretch mode FAQ provided earlier.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089

If this "auto stretch" is not the problem and you're properly seeing black bars on the sides of 4:3 upconverts and most commercials, then I suggest you contact your service provider and copy the broadcaster.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Still sounds like pressing the * button on the Remote will fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help... It was the TV.

My nephews were here for a visit last weekend and they used the TV remote that I usually don't use (i use my telus remote to turn the TV on/off).

I'll be hiding that remote from now on! :)

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
So, it was as I stated in post 2, however, if it was the TV, how could CTV have been fine and Global not? From post 3...

That's what I thought at first as well, but CTV HD (one channel over) no problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tv format setting not functioning

Hi, while setting up a fav's menu for Telus sat tv the picture on every channel has gone to a small picture with black on all sides. We can't get the format setting to get any channel back to full screen. I'm sure it's something simple but we can't seem to get anything to work. thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Make sure you're sending 720P under the Telus settings menu and then press the * button repeatedly on the Telus remote to get to "normal". I assume you're using an HD connection like HDMI or component video. If you have any other connection between the STB and the TV, remove it and make sure the TV is set to the proper HD input. If that doesn't do it, check the various stretch modes on the TV itself. Read post 2 and the links there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts