Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
As the original poster, I don't think this discussion if off topic at all. The heart of the topic is the destruction of artistry (albeit in the form of pop-entertainment) due to computerization.

Actors who use plastic surgery is not cheating because it doesn't affect his/her acting.
A photomodel using plastic surgery IS cheating because he/she is supposed to be selling the appearance.

The use of Photoshop is not cheating as long as it's not proclaimed to be photographic art. It's photoshop art and it is valid.

The same reason makes me accepts Melodyne but not Autotune because Melodyne can only be used to fix vocal anomalies (and needs to be hand-drawn, no preset) whereas Autotune, unless it's used purely for effect, it's plain cheating since, as per my mention, one can just read a text while the engineer/musician controls the Autotune by playing a MIDI keyboard and the end result will be he/she sound like he/she can sing perfectly (albeit very robotic if you know what to listen to)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
BGY11,

just FYI that vibrato is also part of the Autotune preset (plugin version only). However, I concur with you that Mercedes is NOT Autotuned to the max. If you listen to her singing using a pair of headphones and turn it up really loud, you can actually hear somekind of a voice cross-fades where her voice is Autotuned, then crossfades to original voice, and back again etc.

The very sad thing about Glee (TV version), I've listened to them singing live without microphone or any studio gear for that matter. At least some of them can really sing (as a "singer" Finn just can't sing). I heard their live performance at HMV in the US when they were signing their CDs and Mercedes started singing Happy Birthday to one of the fan, followed by the the rest of the crew (don't remember the names, but there were 5 or 6 of them) follow singing in unison. They really are not bad at all.

Like I said before, all they need is Melodyne and not out-and-out Autotune.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Actors who use plastic surgery is not cheating because it doesn't affect his/her acting
You sure about that? ;) How is Meg Ryan's career doing lately?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
LOL, I meant it because usually after plastic surgery the actors' career go down hill. So it's not so much of an enhancement :D

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
LOL, I meant it because usually after plastic surgery the actors' career go down hill. So it's not so much of an enhancement :D
You got that right! Poor, poor Jennifer Grey.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
there was this episode people were hyping a few months ago about britney spears, but when i tuned in, there was a britney look alike re-inacting one of her music videos, she sorta looked like brittney, but you could clearly tell it wasn't her. I quickly tuned away. iunno what the big hype was, they said brittneys gonna be on, they shoulda said instead some look alike girl is gonna re-inact brittneys first music video. that would not be lying

other than that, its a nice show

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Britney Spears was one for a glimpse here and there. The "lookalike" is not a lookalike, is one of Glee's character, Brittany.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts