Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Rona and found some left over 10-3 copper wire at 50% discount. The lenght is enough to build GH10n3 whole antenna and reflectors with same #10 AWG copper. Is that a good Idea? or I should buy some aluminium bars for the reflectors? My TV Fool :

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17adc86443c6

My 12th floor balcony faces exactly towards southeast. With a phillips rabbit ear I got CBC, CITY, SUN, OMNI-1, and OMNI-2 quite clear. I made the zigzag element with #10 AWG wire and just for fun, I taped the two elements to my glass door to balcony that faces exactly southeast. And I received exactl same channels as the rabbit ears. Should I get more channels just placing those zigzag elements outside? Since, Camp Fortune is almost in the opposite direction, should the reflectors prevent the signals from Camp Fortune? Should I use Reflectors or Just main elements and Narods?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Did you build a reflector less GH10 or a GH0 ? A reflector less GH10 does not work well. Build a GH0.

·
Registered
551 Posts
heemu: Your NM (looking at tvfool) are all above 30. You will not get that mush improvement over rabbit ears. Save you monney Channel Master 4221 will not help.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
heemu,

You seem to be limited to one specific line of sight aim toward the SouthEast. As Xauto suggested, your SouthEast line of sight signals are strong, but it may be all the channels that are available to you, given your limited SouthEast exposure.

In your situation, there may be some advantage to replace that adjustable rabbit ear setup with a small antenna such as a #289 Stealth Hawk. Very simple to build and you could just hang it in the window or mount it on the balcony. I don't think a bigger antenna will find more signals, but I'm sure a Stealth Hawk would give your current signals a boost. Better than messing with rabbit ear adjustments.

Being on the 12th floor, and using a Stealth Hawk antenna, it could be possible to recieve some additional bounced signals from other building structures etc that surround your location within your line of sight view.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CM4221 evaluation

I Just got a CM4221 and CM7777 for checking, and do not help me more than the rabbit ears. I'm going to return those. Probably will try the stealth hawk as I already have lots of #10 AWG copper wire in hand.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I Just got a CM4221 and CM7777 for checking, and do not help me more than the rabbit ears.
Thats way overkill for your situation, and would hurt you much more than help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about US channels?

I understand that the 4221 is overkill for my Canadian channels. But what about US channels? Should I assume that, I have no way to get those channels?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The closest ones to you are negative NM, 2 edge channels. It would take extraordinary efforts to get those and even then they might not be consistant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts