Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find Plans for a G-H for Deep Fringe

I have read a lot here, but cannot find an actual plan or diagram for a G-H antenna.

I am in the deep fringe, have two channels on VHF Hi and the rest on UHF.

Here is my TV FOOL:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=3cf43a2b29226a

Basically I don't need a rotor as I am only shooting for the channels at 135 degrees down to WJZ at -2.1 dB. Beyond that I don't care. For the channels above that at other azimuths, I don't care. So basically I am looking at all the channels in pink at 135 (and also PBS at 133) degrees.

I have already built a ch 13 Yagi per the K7MEM calculator. I have also built a Kosmic Super Quad knockoff. I rather enjoy building and testing. For some reason, I can get WBAL (ch 11) with NO trouble and NO preamp. 13 is a little more troublesome- I am told due to their more North-South broadcast pattern.

As this will be mounted on my roof, I (and SWMBO!!) would prefer a 1 antenna solution if it will work. Others have recommended an XG91 and YA 1713- I may end up there, but am having fun toying with building these antennas. Based on what I am reading here, the G-H with the deep fringe and VHF -Hi improvements may work. But I need to find a place with dimensions, screen size, where to make the bends, etc.

I can find much discussion, but no actual plans.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Post by wmshay6
Help designing G-H Antenna
I see you are in DE- I'm next door in MD with a lot of family in Slower Lower DE. Anyway- to my point. I have submitted a post for approval regarding building a G-H Antenna for the Baltimore Stations. I need 2,45,54,67 on UHF and 11, 13 on VHF-Hi. Since you are close to MD, I thought you might be more familiar with the station setup In Balmer.

My antenna fool lists my worst station as WJZ at -2.1dB. I am west of the city. Do you think a carefully constructed G-H could give me enough gain on VHF-Hi to be a one antenna solution for me? All I want is Baltimore, I am not worried about any other stations.

I currently have a Ch 13 Yagi in the garage as 13 is my toughest channel to get. That and ABC 2 (ch 38).

Can you point me to some plans or give me some guidance on design? I have read through the threads, but haven't seen any diagrams or anything with dimensions, etc.

Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Post your TVFool Image. And in our discussions, we like to reference the Real channel numbers not the Virtual ones.

To get the Baltimore/DC stations in lower Delaware and MD, youll need a GH with NARODs that favors the high UHF channels and VHF-Hi 11 and 13. I would suggest one of Nikimls newer optimized models here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121956
Which one would depend on your TVFool data.

Before I discovered the NAROD for the GH, I built and optimized a closed end curved mesh bowtie model for the Baltimore/DC stations. It worked well, but its a lot more involved build than a GH with NARODs.

I currently have a Ch 13 Yagi in the garage as 13 is my toughest channel to get. That and ABC 2 (ch 38).
How many elements does that Yagi have ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry 300, my original post to the board and my PM to you are mixed up in the same post now.

My TV Fool is posted above. The Yagi has 8 directors, 1 reflector, and 1 driven. Overall Length about 9'. (the dimensions are all in MM for precision in the build, so I honestly don't know how long in ft).

Based on your experience here, can a GH equal or out perform my Yagi and generic Kosmic combination? I plan to add a CM 7777 preamp if necessary (I figure it will be needed)

And I have been referencing real numbers (I think). I need VHF-Hi 11 and 13. I need ABC-2 (channel 38) Fox 45 (ch 46), Channel 40, channel 29 (PBS)

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Based on your experience here, can a GH equal or out perform my Yagi and generic Kosmic combination?
That yagi for channel 13 has more than 13 dbi gain, and the max NAROD model has about 11 dbi for vhf-hi. So, if the yagi is pointed right, and it looks like it is, its better for channel 13. In which case, I would build a DoubleBayGH (no NARODs but with a mesh reflector) for the UHF channels and use a UVSJ (uhf/vhf signal joiner) to combine the two for the Baltimore direction.
Since your Lancaster channels are about 90 degrees from your Baltimore channels, but strong, I would build a simpler SBGH with NARODs for those. Then use an A-B switch at the TV to change antennas instead of using a rotor.
I plan to add a CM 7777 preamp if necessary (I figure it will be needed)
Yeah, use that after the UVSJ for the Baltimore direction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts