Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so when they deliver it, it should be standing properly right? Also I am gonna use THX with everything at 30 and zoomed for break in for a 150 hours and just watch dvd's in full screen without zooming to break in. After that I usually set most settings for gaming and HD in the 80's range, is that O.K? I know Torch mode would be 95-100.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

THX mode with contrast at 100 is also usually fine. The TV can handle that.

Just be responsible with the TV viewing ... and rotate the material. Is that really so hard to do?

regards

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For break in, I just got it and set the contrast at 32. i am going to leave it at that for a 150 hours then I will set contrast at 60 for another 40 hours and I will go 90 max. 100 is torch mode and will not be too good for the TV, especially for gaming I will do 80 max for contrast.
This TV is great, they only had a couple left in the warehouse.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Or...you could just enjoy your TV and do what Michael suggested - rotate the viewing material.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often would I have to rotate it, it seems these plasma's would be very hard to get burn in, but if I wanna plat for 4 hours the same game or watch a 3 hour movie with bars with the contrast on full blast, isn't that torch mode.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Stuff with static images ... and then stuff without static images. W/S movie with black bars = static image. Games with life meters ...OSD ... = static images ...

4 hours with this material ... then try an hour of stuff that does not have this.

regards

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have any of you noticed a slight soap opera affect on this plasma? It's no where near as bad as the 120hz LCD's soap opera garbage, but I do notice some slight soap opera affect with this great plasma like sometimes weird smooth camera motions on and off. I just find this un natural and I am breaking in the plasma and looks awesome, What would I do to remove this affect. I am breaking in with standard mode and everything under 40, and I have color temperature on cool 1, it looks more natural than warm. Thanks.

Also I notice on some fast action scenes their is some blurring, less than LCD but still when the camera moves
really fast their is some motion blur on 1080i football, is their a way to reduce this or is this a result of my HD
source, compression? I am also using a HDMI cable. The picture is amazing, sound is good, I just gotta figure
out the best settings after break in and if it's possible to reduce phosphor blur ( or maybe it's the sources fault).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the G25 and didn't do any break ins, at least not consciously. Mine is very pleasing and can highly recommend it. It's a 50" and the biggest TV I have ever had. Love the image quality on both Bell HD channels and Blu Ray as well as PS3 games.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G25 final calibration.

OK I did the break in and have calibrated, for movies with bars I will use THX with the
default settings, also for sports and video games I am using the Game mode with contrasts
a bit lower. For everything else like Blu rays and HD viewing I am using custom mode ( I was told to stay away from Vivid). Here is my custom mode settings to my liking and tell me if this is ok.

Custom

contrast 87
brightness 34
color 68
Tint +3
sharpness 30
Cool 2
color mgmt on
XV off
CATS off
Video NR weak
Blur reduction off

Also what do you think about the game mode, I played 360 for an hour and saw a small
ghost image of a ticker from call of duty and after 5 mins off watching regular HD on custom it went away. Maybe it's still to soon to game or should I still break in more? I only did a 105 hour break in for a week.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Each TV is unique and no two TVs will have the same settings, as has been discussed many timea and also as discussed in the optimization FAQ. Here are my comments nevertheless:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161 Optimization FAQ

Contrast - looks a touch high.
Brightness - looks quite low
Colour - looks quite high
Colour temperature should be warm1 or warm2
colour management should be off

Many people may "like" these sorts of settings because it's what they're used to from previous TVs and Vivid setups. Is it accurate or lifelike - definitely not.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 57, I found some of these settings on another forum where somebody posted
The contrast at 87 on custom, and I also did the pro settings where I did

WB High R+17
WB High B+16
WB Low R+7
WB Low B+4

I also made the gamma up from 2.2 to 2.4 and left the rest alone and yes this user
also recommends warm2 settings, for some reason I find Cool1 or Cool 2 more natural,
would that be a bad thing to chose cool over warm? I can maybe even set it to normal.

Also I agree the contrast at 87 is kinda high but I will not have it at 100 on any mode so I made it 87. Also I lowered brightness significantly and sharpness because it seems to make the colors pop more and I increased the color a bit. But after this I see the TV's
performance to be really great with amazing blacks and colors. So I just gave you my pro settings here and I am using the other settings from my previous comment. I will switch to THX for movies with bars and use game mode for video games regardless and make sure to stretch as much as possible. Only thing is some stations still don't use see through logo's but commercials should help that. If I do see any retention with these settings I will watch more 16X9 content before I resort to the scroll bar. I am on around a 120 hours, I heard that by now my plasma should be getting stronger and at 500 - 1000 hours it should be very difficult to get retention since the phosphors are strong, is that true? But at the same time I heard blacks will lower a bit but still at the lowest it will be blacker than samsungs best plasma's. Thanks 57 and others for heads up to stay away from Vivid mode and for answering any questions I had.

Also I did call panasonic and asked them about the Vivid modes and how the contrasts on default are way to high at 100 and they said as long as you
stretch, break in 100 hours (which I did), and rotate material it should not be a problem. Only thing is games have static images and the contrast is also
at 100 on game mode So I told them I game 2 hours a day, and they said that's fine. But anyways I think I did the smart thing by lowering Sharpness,
contrasts, brightness and increased the color a bit on game mode.

I will turn off color management and make color from 68 to 60. Thanks I am just learning as I read and watch my movies to how they look. With these
settings though My standard DVD's honestly look better than 1080p Blu ray movies on a LG LCD, I will read some more. The plasma is still very young.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody experience motion Blur on plasma's especially G25?

On custom mode with my settings I am getting similar motion blur to at least
a good 120hz LCD, pretty much always on very fast scenes, with 1080i HD content from rogers HD movies, it's not as big a deal on 480p, 720p or 1080p things from OTA 720p, 480p movies and 1080p blu rays. I have set up a custom mode on the G25 plasma and it's very similar to the way I set up my game mode, both are the same. Vivid which I never use has it the worst when I watched it, but the screen was so bright and colorful it was kinda jaw dropping watching nature on it. On THX mode this blur does not happen but I prefer sports on game or my custom mode.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Please don't assume that all readers to these sites know what a G25 is. LG; Samsung; Panasonic???? Lots of readers are interested in plasma and yes I can do a google search etc but why not just say my Samsung or whatever G25? Not a rant, just a reader who would like to know more of this plasma problem which is not supposed to occur. sailmaker :confused:

·
Registered
144 Posts
ontherooftop - Many places on the internet will give you strange advice. I would not listen to all of it. Short of hiring someone to calibrate your television correctly and using the appropriate equipment to do it, my best advice to you is to purchase a set-up DVD/BD and find the correct basic picture controls with your hardware on your TV. Listen to the professionals on here: we've said many many times - one TV is different than the other, one person's room environment is different than yours, and the equipment one uses in the system will be different than yours, all potentially changing the picture to a large degree. To input settings found online is neither a calibration or correct and I know your will be far more satisfied using a set-up disc and learn a bit about what you are doing in the process.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The panasonic G25 plasma blur problem..

I switched from LCD and was making a choice between a 120hz LED LCD tv or a plasma, well after reading the high reviews from this particular model and also hearing how plasma has no motion blur at all, I decided to pull the trigger and buy this TV. The THX mode is a little dull but ok as for sports and video games , I use the default game mode setting with contrast reduced a bit and brightness reduced and this plasma blurs worse than my previous LCD. Now I am mad that I wasted 1400 bucks , I did the proper break in and when I play my video games, watch some movies ( not on THX but custom) and watch sports on game mode, the TV smears all over the place. I thought with 0.001ms response times and 600hz Plasma should smoke LCD? Is this a defective plasma? or should I just get my money back. I saw LED LCD's that didn't blur as bad as this, game mode blurs , Vivid blurs, my custom setting blurs only THX mode doesn't blur much.

Also this is not my first bad experience with a panasonic plasma, I had one that during break in 3 years ago, the TV
Just died and made weird noises.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Take it back.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cooper have you experienced blur like this on plasma , like on game mode for instance, this is a second bad experience with blur and other issues from a panny plasma. Great colors and contrast, blurring as bad as a old 60 hz LCD, and also can get very hot. I have 4 years warranty, should I just get my money back, call panasonic first, I am thinking maybe a Sony LED LCD XBR series with dimming has similar features to panny's colors and might even have less blur. Maybe it's the settings but I use game mode for sports with tickers and games, all I did was turn down default contrast, brightness, and sharpness and turned up color by 10.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah because I need some settings for sports and video games, I turned down the default game mode's many setting's but I am suffering from bad motion blur from all sources, including a Blu ray disk player. Custom mode seems very close to how I set game mode, so I seem to use game mode for lots of content, even movies. THX is sometimes.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.