Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new LG Smart TV (UM7300) that has required me to readjust my home theater system. I currently have the following setup:

1. LG TV plugged into Yamaha v385 receiver through HDMI arc.
2. Fibe TV box plugged into LG TV through HDMI3

The problem is that I can only get stereo sound from Fibe channels or the PVR. I tried going into the Fibe audio settings and changing it from "stereo" to "surround", but when I did that I got no sound at all.

The receiver appears to be working fine, because I get 5.1 sound from all the TV apps.

I used to get 5.1 sound through Fibe in my previous setup, but that was when I had the box plugged directly into the receiver. I don't want to do that anymore, because then I can't use any of the smart TV menus while watching TV.

My TV gives me 2 audio options for HDMI3 (where the Fibe box is plugged in): PCM or Bitstream. Neither of those settings has any impact on the issue.

Is there some trick to getting Fibe to pass 5.1 audio through the TV? I don't know much about these things so I'm stumbling around in the dark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just another note--My TV digital sound settings are on "Auto", not "PCM", which I know is sometimes posted as a solution.

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
You seem to have tried most things, as discussed in the following FAQ, point 4.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/17870-faq-whats-available-dd5-1-a.html

One thing you could do is use HDMI to the AVR as you did before and run optical from the TV to the AVR for the TV apps. Disabling HDMI-CEC in the AVR and TV would eliminate ARC, but is important to preclude remote commands from fighting with the devices to turn things on/off, change inputs, etc.

The change from stereo to surround in the Fibe box is obviously necessary. Perhaps once you do that and do the appropriate TV settings, it'll work. You sometimes need to disable the TV internal speakers, which you would do if using the "external" optical port.

See also https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/71112-faq-hdmi-comments-issues.html Item 4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing that really confuses me is that when I set Fibe to "stereo", the sound passes through to the AVR without incident. But setting it to "surround" results in no sound at all. I tried playing around with all the sound settings I could find and couldn't get any sound until I set Fibe back to stereo.

I don't suppose there's a way to leave Fibe plugged into HDMI3 on the TV, but use a separate cable to send audio to the AVR? If I unplug Fibe from my TV, I assume I'll lose a lot of functionality, like the ability to include Fibe channels in search results.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Some TVs only support ARC (audio return channel) on one HDMI input. I suggest checking the manual to see which port(s) on the TV (input) and receiver (output) support ARC and using those HDMI ports for the receiver to TV connection. Then enable ARC on both. Note that ARC can be finicky and sometimes does not work correctly.

This should allow two configurations:
1. Connect the Fibe TV box to the receiver. That should allow surround sound to work with Fibe TV. It should also allow audio from the TV apps to be heard through the receiver using ARC.
2. Connect the Fibe TV box to the TV. That should also allow audio from the TV to be heard through the receiver using ARC for both Fibe and the TV apps. Be aware that some TVs do not support surround sound output so it may be in stereo. (Most newer TVs support surround sound output.)

But setting it to "surround" results in no sound at all.
This is probably an indication that the TV does not support the surround sound format being output by the Fibe box.

... but use a separate cable to send audio to the AVR?
ARC will allow this using HDMI. If the TV has an optical audio output it should be possible to connect that to the AV receiver and use it for listening to TV audio. I use this method between a TV and sound bar.

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
I looked up the user guide for your TV and found this link:
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/support-product/lg-55UM7300AUE#manuals

Under the sound settings, there is a very detailed explanation for "Sound out" which probably indicates it should be set to "Pass Through." Sometimes they make manuals that cover a range of TVs and not all TVs have all features. If yours has the Pass Through setting, then it should support surround sound from the Fibe TV box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is probably an indication that the TV does not support the surround sound format being output by the Fibe box.
Given that it's a brand new 2019 model TV, that would be disappointing. Is there any way to find out what surround sound format is being output by the Fibe Box?

Under the sound settings, there is a very detailed explanation for "Sound out" which probably indicates it should be set to "Pass Through." Sometimes they make manuals that cover a range of TVs and not all TVs have all features. If yours has the Pass Through setting, then it should support surround sound from the Fibe TV box.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try setting it to Pass Through, but that didn't appear to have any impact.

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try setting it to Pass Through, but that didn't appear to have any impact.
From the looks of the manual, the TV is doing some audio processing and conversion in pass through mode. Things you can try:

1. Make sure your TV firmware is up to date. I didn't see any recent changes about audio, but you never know.

2. Connect your TV to a Fibe 4K PVR. Arris designs and builds the hardware for Bell and many other telcos using the same system. The 4K PVR is a complete redesign of the hardware, firmware and operating system (Linix) so it may output surround sound slightly differently and your TV won't choke on it. If you replace your existing PVR, you will lose any recorded programs.

3. Use optical-out from your Fibe box to the Yamaha receiver for audio and HDMI to the TV for video. I haven't looked at the Yamaha manual to see what's involved, but you would probably have to tell the Yamaha receiver you want to watch Fibe TV so it uses the optical connection. A Harmony remote could simplify the process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I found out slightly more information. Using the AVR to check the audio format being received, I confirmed that Netflix is sending DD+, but Bell Fibe is sending PCM through the TV, even though the Fibe Digital Audio settings are set to “Surround” and the TV Digital Audio settings are set to Auto (and tried Pass Through with no difference).

"3. Use optical-out from your Fibe box to the Yamaha receiver for audio and HDMI to the TV for video. I haven't looked at the Yamaha manual to see what's involved, but you would probably have to tell the Yamaha receiver you want to watch Fibe TV so it uses the optical connection."

Yes, thanks for the idea. I think that's what I'm going to try for now. At least that way hopefully I can keep the functionality I have now but switch to 5.1 sound with a few clicks.

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
If you want to use optical for audio, you usually have to go into the user settings for input and "assign" the AVR to use the optical input for a certain input instead of say HDMI (which would be the default for an HDMI input if going through the AVR and not directly to the TV with HDMI). Your choice, but it should be very easy to hook the HDMI or optical directly to the AVR instead of the TV to see what format you get there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The on-line manual states:
AUDIO1 (optical) is set as TV audio input at the factory.

So pushing the TV button on the remote will use optical by default (if connected).

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
That will work if using optical from the Bell Fibe Receiver with HDMI connected to the TV directly. If you go "through" the AVR with HDMI (like you were before), then that audio input will likely need to be "assigned". If you're using HDMI directly to the TV, then simply using the "TV" input on the AVR for optical (directly from the Bell box) should be easy, but will require a couple of button presses of the remote(s) to change the TV input and AVR input when using other devices, unless you have a Harmony remote which can be programmed to handle all IR devices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AUDIO1 (optical) is set as TV audio input at the factory.
Yes, I hooked up the optical cable from the Fibe box to the AVR, and I now get sound when on AUDIO1. HOWEVER...

I have exactly the same problem as before. When I use the Fibe menu to set Digital Sound to "Stereo", I get stereo sound through the AVR, and format is listed as PCM.
When I use the Fibe menu to set Digital Sound to "Surround", I get no sound from the AVR, and no format at all is detected (it shows up as "---").

So apparently this problem has nothing to do with the TV.

Are there any other audio controls on a Fibe receiver beyond "Stereo/Surround"?

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
hmm, that is strange. Have you tried connecting the HDMI directly to the AVR and then HDMI from the AVR to the TV? It's possible that the Fibe box is "seeing" the TV, shaking hands with it and overriding the settings or getting confused.

Remove all other connections from the equation for this test.

I believe this is how you stated you had it before in post 1 when you had DD5.1...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts