Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2500 with the 5.1 a couple of weeks ago. I had to call a few times to get it working properly. After a service call all was working and I was really loving it. Even though I had no VOD for a week I was just happy it was working.

I was so happy with the quality of the picture and the 5.1 sound that when I got my tax refund, I went otu and bought a 50" Grand Vega at Best Buy. As part of the deal I get a 6412 HD box for 12 months free and 12 months free programming. A sweet deal for sure.

I was at home on Thursday and the 2500 box stopped working. I called in and they said, "I see you have the HD box?". I told them the story about the new TV and the fact that the HD box hadn't arrived yet but was expected soon. The guy told me whoever added the HD box to my account had blown out the 2500 information. So he asked me for the GI# off the bottom of the box and said he would reprogram. "Sorry but no TV for 1/2 hour". No probbelm just get it working again.

So the box starts working again but now I am missing about 12 channels that I should be getting including the movie package and a pick 5 pack of individual channels. I have to call back and and he adds those and all seems well. Just before he hangs up he says, "You've got an 1800 box right?" No, I have a 2500 with 5.1. "Oh, something is wrong here. OK I'll fix that too."

So I hang up and just before American Idol starts I get a call from a tech telling me he needs to reprovision my box and it will be down for a 1/2 hour. This is really started to get me going, but I ask my wife to watch Idol in the bedroom and tell the guy to go ahead and program the box one last time.

I come home later that night and the box is working but now I have no TMN On Demand and no VOD channels. Error connecting to the server, call in and reference error number 204, says the message on the screen. So I call in and the guy tells me the VOD should work by the morning, if not call back. Mornign comes and no VOD so I call and get a guy who takes way to long to explain to me how VOD works, (i already knew all that) then tells me I must have a loose cable on my box or something and I need a service call.

Since it is the long weekend I can't get a service call until next week. New Sony Vega arrives tomorrow, 6412 HD box is here and ready to go, BBQ planned for Saturday with a movies or two to follow. No VOD and I'm getting really friggin tired of calling Cogeco and watching the little lights on my box blink on and off.

Frustrated in Windsor.

Tony :confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
eng911 said:
Frustrated in Windsor.
Tony :confused:
Why not use HDTV OTA... you should be able to get all the Detroit channels with an aerial, you may even get away with an indoor one. That would be HDTV free!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right. You can get free hdtv in this area due to the fact that detroit is next door. I'm getting the box and programming free from cogeco too and I wouldn't get any pvr or movies over the air. I also would need to buy a tuner.

·
Registered
126 Posts
eng911 said:
Since it is the long weekend I can't get a service call until next week. New Sony Vega arrives tomorrow, 6412 HD box is here and ready to go,
Why not get them to start up the 6412?
Then you should be able to have them make sure all your services are switched on that box.

What has also worked for many people is to unplug the power to the box wait couple minutes and when you put power back it resets itself correctly.
I don't see your problems as being service visit related... I think they are just not sending the correct data to your box.
Try the 6412 route... you may well get lucky that the tech does it right for that one. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't agree more. I did in fact get my TV today and hooked up the HD box. I'm very happy with how things look and I got the 5.1 going in just enought time to catch the Star Wars movie on CBC-HD. The pod racing scenes were awesome. The 6412 works fine for VOD so I think you are bang on with your assesment that they are not sending the right data to the 2500 box to make it work properly.

I'll call them again tomorrow when I hook up the 2500 in the bedroom. I just watched CSI on CTV-HD and it looked awesome. Now I have on Stargate Atlantis on the Movie Network On Demand. I'm happy because that looks awesome too. Regular cable channels just don't seem to cut it anymore :p

Now that it's all hooked up I'm much less frustrated but still have the 2500 problem. I have lots of friends that all these issues would just be way too much for. I'm an admitted techi but it's still a lot to take in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah that is Cogeco for you. We were having issues with some channels not working on one of my HD boxes and it took 3 calls for them to fix it. Morons.

Got a month free of TMN and 3 free PPVs out of it though....still, I hate when companies cant do a simple thing like make sure their service/product works.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did you ever fix the VOD error 204 connecting to server problem? I'm getting the same problem. I didn't call, hoping it would fix itself. I don't plan on ordering anything in the near future, so its not a big deal for me. Just curious to see it working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My VOD has been out for the last couple of days with different errors as well (203, 217, lots of 215s). Cogeco says it's the box (a 3 weeks old 6412), but I see flakiness on my older 2450 as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Veedio said:
My VOD has been out for the last couple of days with different errors as well (203, 217, lots of 215s). Cogeco says it's the box (a 3 weeks old 6412), but I see flakiness on my older 2450 as well.
I have a multiswitch (combines a satellite and cable tv signal) into one cable, so I have both feeds all through the house. I'm wondering if that is the cause of the VOD not working?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does it pass return? Are you sure?

If your answer to the above is yes, how many splitters (if any) do you have upstream from that switch? Are they good splitters? (ie. you didn't buy them from radio shack, best buy et al) If the loss is too much then that could also explain it.

Otherwise, I would call in.

Flavario said:
I have a multiswitch (combines a satellite and cable tv signal)
into one cable, so I have both feeds all through the house. I'm wondering if that is the cause of the VOD not working?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curiouser and curiouser!

Cogeco sent me a new box which I've hooked up to my second TV for now (I had a standard def digital box there at one time so that connection should be good). It keeps cycling through "hunt" numbers but doesn't seem to connect. Out of curiousity I tried VOD on my original 6412 and up it came for the first time in a week. Guess I'll have to try the new box on the same connection and see what happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Veedio said:
Curiouser and curiouser!

Cogeco sent me a new box which I've hooked up to my second TV for now (I had a standard def digital box there at one time so that connection should be good). It keeps cycling through "hunt" numbers but doesn't seem to connect. Out of curiousity I tried VOD on my original 6412 and up it came for the first time in a week. Guess I'll have to try the new box on the same connection and see what happens.
I think weird things are going on in their system which they cannot put their finger on since it is often an unexpected result... so they just move on to the next problem.

I had a Tech here once and he could see no reason why I could not get VOD on my 6412 while I could get it on my regular digital box on another TV.
Tried all manner of things... sending signal from Cogeco, resetting etc: nothing made it work. Then after some time it became available.... he was puzzled.

I have no idea if it continues to be a problem as I have stopped using VOD and PPV as every time I use them I have quality problems causing me to give up... so I stick to Blockbuster DVD's with the extras, save money, along with earning freebies!

·
Registered
225 Posts
zedsdead said:
Does it pass return? Are you sure?

If your answer to the above is yes, how many splitters (if any) do you have upstream from that switch? Are they good splitters? (ie. you didn't buy them from radio shack, best buy et al) If the loss is too much then that could also explain it.

Otherwise, I would call in.
Not sure what you mean of "does it pass return" is there a test I can perform on the digital box (its a DCT1800)?

The multiswitch works like this.. It takes two inputs of satellite dish (from a dual lnb) and combines that signal into the single original cogeco installed cable. Just before I connect the cables to the DCT1800, there is a diplexer splitter which then uncombines the signal and outputs two cables. One is for cogeco and the other is for satellite.

The box does work with the switch installed, but because of VOD is "two way" I am wondering if this is a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Flavario said:
Not sure what you mean of "does it pass return" is there a test I can perform on the digital box (its a DCT1800)?

The multiswitch works like this.. It takes two inputs of satellite dish (from a dual lnb) and combines that signal into the single original cogeco installed cable. Just before I connect the cables to the DCT1800, there is a diplexer splitter which then uncombines the signal and outputs two cables. One is for cogeco and the other is for satellite.

The box does work with the switch installed, but because of VOD is "two way" I am wondering if this is a problem.
If you can get VOD by connecting the cable feed directly to your box then the multi switch is not two way.... which is what I suspect.
I don't really understand why you have the multi switch ahead of the DCT as you only want to feed Cogeco to the DCT not any satellite signals.

Is your problem that you are using one TV and so need a switch ahead to select cable or sat? Does your TV not have multiple inputs?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I tried connecting directly to the box without the switch and I get the same problem. I went to the service test screen (power on and press OK) and went to the INTERACTIVE option, it showed my IP as 0.0.0.0 which I assume is incorrect.

I know most people have one or the other, but we have both satellite and digital cable. The multiswitch allows you to wire a house with a single cable going to each TV. That way I don't need to run multiple wires to each television (one for satellite and one for cable) by combining the signal into one cable, I save a lot of installation of cable. At each tv, I have something called a Diplexer which basically unsplits the two signals so I have two cables coming out of the diplexer (one for sat and one for cable) one of them I hook up straight through to the DCT1800 Cogeco box.

The multiswitch supports 4 outputs, so I can do this for up to 4 televisions in the home. It supports one cable input (cogeco) and 2 inputs for the satellite (from a dual LNB dish antenna)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you tried connecting straight to the box and it didn't work you will need a service call, or at the very least a box reprogramming from the office. Call them and they will see if they can turn your box off from the office. If they can then they know that they are communicating with the box. They will probably reprogram at that point.

I had great signal strength from the office and they had to come out twice and reprogram the box about five times just to get VOD working. It's worth seeing to it if you sub to TMN as you get access to tons of movies for free with your TMN sub. If you don't see yourself buying VOD's and you don't sub to TMN then maybe it's not worth the hassle.

Speaking of VOD's .... I was up at my brothers house and watching Rogers. They have much better choices for VOD such as CBC on Demand and CityTV on Demand and also have about double the channels for HDTV with a west coast HD feed. I wish Rogers would buy Cogeco.

·
Registered
126 Posts
eng911 said:
Speaking of VOD's .... I was up at my brothers house and watching Rogers. They have much better choices for VOD such as CBC on Demand and CityTV on Demand and also have about double the channels for HDTV with a west coast HD feed. I wish Rogers would buy Cogeco.
Not really true for HD...
Cogeco only lacks PBS Seattle, Omni 1 & Omni 2 and Global ... hardly double.
Cogeco has 16 HD and Rogers 18 stations... plus they both have 2 HD PPV & and 1 Movie HD.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
We don't really care about Omni 1 or 2 or 3. Plus I hope Global HD never shows up. We're better off without it.

Seattle PBS is another story.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ready123 said:
Not really true for HD...
Cogeco only lacks PBS Seattle, Omni 1 & Omni 2 and Global ... hardly double.
Cogeco has 16 HD and Rogers 18 stations... plus they both have 2 HD PPV & and 1 Movie HD.
I'm in Windsor and I see 10 HD channels if I don't count M-HD.

OK maybe 11 because I have 1 french hd channel that I have never once tuned in. So I'm missing 6 channels .....where are they?

I would like Global HD .... heck I'll take the friggin' tulip network if it's in HD.

And why don't we have all these On Demand free channels that Rogers has?

·
Registered
27 Posts
eng911 said:
If you tried connecting straight to the box and it didn't work you will need a service call, or at the very least a box reprogramming from the office. Call them and they will see if they can turn your box off from the office. If they can then they know that they are communicating with the box. They will probably reprogram at that point.

I had great signal strength from the office and they had to come out twice and reprogram the box about five times just to get VOD working. It's worth seeing to it if you sub to TMN as you get access to tons of movies for free with your TMN sub. If you don't see yourself buying VOD's and you don't sub to TMN then maybe it's not worth the hassle.

Dude I feel your pain about tmnod and vod. I was connected yesterday and was told by a tech that the stb's would be working with on demand this morning. This morning rolled around and I'm still getting error 204. They reset the boxes a few times, signal is strong. I called the tech again and was told that by tomorrow morning "for sure" it will be working. He said that right now my boxes are still "one way boxes". I have my reservations about this working tomorrow morning. I'm thinking I was being sloughed off. It's frustrating to say the least.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts