Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I just ordered my first smartphone, a Nokia N97 mini. I've never had a smartphone before so I'm feeling a bit stupid. As well, I'm traveling in a few months and have some questions.

First of all, and this is stupid, but I have a plan that doesn't include call display. Will the number show up at all because I'm thinking call display means name display.

Does anyone know if there's an app to do voicemail? That's an add-on cost as well that I'd like to avoid and I would think a "smartphone" would be smart enough to answer and record it's own calls ;)

Lastly, and this is the big one: I'm traveling to Europe in a few months and I've read horror stories about $700 bills when people return. I'd like to take my phone so people can reach me in emergencies, and use the gps. How bad are the roaming data rates for Europe? Any tips? I think I'll have a very hard time not checking my email unless I know it's going to cost a ton.

Is unlocking my phone difficult and does it (I assume) void my warranty with Rogers? If I understand correctly, it has to be unlocked to use a prepaid sim in Europe. If I do go that route, can I get 1 sim that covers England, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and Austria?

Thanks for all of your help

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Here goes:

- Without Call Display, all you will see is that someone is calling you. With cell phones, "Call Display" is just the phone number. I believe Rogers has a separate service that's for Name Display, but that also costs extra.

- I'd recommend against using the phone for GPS and such. E-mail would be one thing, but unless your phone has preloaded maps in its GPS application, you'll rack up the roaming charges very quick. Perhaps unlocking the phone and getting a local SIM card would be your best bet (as you are thinking).

- I don't think there's a Voicemail-type app, so you'd probably need to pay for that with Rogers.

- Unlocking phones does not void the warranty.

I'm not too familiar with prepaid options in Europe, so perhaps one of the other members here can shed some insight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You should consider getting a Value Pack which includes caller id (with Name Display), voice mail, and texting. If you've been with Rogers for a few years and your contract is up for renewal, you can probably negotiate to have a Value Pack included for free, as well as some other goodies such as bonus minutes, early evenings and weekends, etc. in exchange for signing a renewal.

Regarding GPS, if you preload the maps of countries you'll be visiting, you can use the GPS in off-line mode to avoid data charges. Just make sure you know how to set it in off-line mode. OVI Maps 3.04 is the app that gives you free voice guidance. If it is not preloaded on your phone, you can download it via Application Update or SW Update. Your phone should already have the maps of Canada and US. But to load the maps of Europe, you would need to install OVI Suite on your PC to download the maps. Be forewarned though, OVI Suite is known to be somewhat quirky and some would say, buggy, and it runs slow even on a fast PC.

I don't know what the roaming data rates are, but they are likely expensive. But you can always check email using the wi-fi at a hotspot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you don't end up unlocking your phone and using a local SIM, I recommend calling Rogers and purchasing a Voice & Data roaming package before you leave, and monitor your useage while you're there. Better to pay a "little" up front than get home to a multi thousand dollar bill as some people have.

Personally, I'd go with unlocking your phone and using a VOIP app on your phone. Not sure what's available in that way for your N97 mini though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts