Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My Videotron currently has a 3-way splitter (1 in, 3 out):
1-Videotron phone
2-Videotron internet
3-Videotron illico

I want to get a second illico terminal for the basement. Do I just replace the 1 in / 3 out by a 1/4 splitter?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
That's not the way it's usually done if you have phone and internet. The internet should usually be the first split (own splitter) and the phone/cable signals on the next splitter.

Videotron will probably do this properly and also test signal strength since once you've got this many splits you could end up with issues on one or more of your connections.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

That's odd, it's Videotron that did this install a year ago (all working fine).

I checked again... yes, one coax from outside, into a 1-3 splitter.

I guess I'll have them come over for the 2nd terminal then.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
the 1-3 splitter you see is probably an unbalanced splitter, one leg has a stronger signal, for your modem, while the others are lesser signal, its exactly the same as putting a 2-way splitter at the main line, and splitting one leg with another 2-way splitter, just less wires.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Paola is correct about the -3.5 leg on the 3-way splitter. The exact configuration is not set in stone though and it depends on your incoming signal strength. I was having signal level issues and the tech decided to shuffle things around. They also put locks on the splitter so unless you have the keyed wrench you cannot remove them yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's not the way it's usually done if you have phone and internet. The internet should usually be the first split (own splitter) and the phone/cable signals on the next splitter.
When the tech did the install for me, first splitter was for my tv and the internet and phone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I suggest you call the tech and they'll install a better splitter and make sure, as it's been said, that the signal is strong enough.

At first, I only had TV (2 digital + 3 analog) and the tech installed a regular splitter (1 in, 4 out) plus another splitter (1 from the first splitter became 1 digital + 1 analog only).

When I also switched for phone + internet, he installed a powered splitter and since then the signal is incredible even with analog. They did not charge me anything to do that, and their work is guaranteed. Those splitters costs more than $50 so why pay for this yourself?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts