Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9242 and a basic Analogue Cable subscription. Is there such thing as something like an "analogue to digital" converter box that will enable my 9242 to recognize the cable channels through its OTA module in digital format? I refuse to order digital cable as I don't want to order multiple cable boxes for the 5 rooms currently sharing analogue cable.

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
56,560 Posts
Cable and Sat are totally different and the 9242 cannot tune cable - digital or analogue. Cable uses NTSC/QAM, OTA uses ATSC.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The only non-satellite signals the 9242 will pick up and record are ATSC (OTA) digital signals. Anything else requires a separate PVR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. So under what circumstances does that separate "attenuator" piece come into use?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
An attenuator is essentially used to reduce the signal passing through it, so it can be used on the Output of TV2, if the Signal level is too high for a TV, located adjacent to the Receiver, for example.

I have also used it on the Remote Antenna, again, to reduce Signals. This was done, when a close neighbour, had the same Remote Address, only the much stronger Signals from the Remote in the same room, would then get through to the receiver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm..interesting, I'm wondering if the attenuator will help me in my situation.

So if when I try to combine the tv2 output and analogue cable with a diplexer, I get a lot of static interference only specifically on the tv2 output channel. Where should I attach an attenuator to reduce the static? I have already ensured the tv2 output channel is not overlapping an existing cable channel.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The TV2 output is RF, so a Diplxer is not the correct thing, you just need a basic 1Ghz Cable Splitter.

As for static, try changing to another output channel, I believe the default is Ch60, I use Ch69.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will take up your advice on the 1Ghz splitter. Tried all different available channels with no luck. Where should the attenuator be attached, if recommended at all, to remove static? I'm assuming directly at the tv2 output port of the 9242.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The attenuator is supplied for use with the UHF remote antenna input and only if other remotes interfere. It is not needed for the RF output. To find the channel, make sure that both the 9242 and the TV are set to the same band, UHF or Cable. A scan with the TV might also work. I use UHF channels in the 30s. YMMV.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I agree Scary, that is why Bell supply it but it is also very useful if connecting TV2 to a home distribution system and its' signal is to high, for TV's that are adjacent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts