Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this make sense from a technical perspective?

What I'm wondering is, if I keep Shaw internet, does that bump my available bandwidth for Optik or do they only give you enough for each product you have?

Example, 15 megabit service for Optik & Internet, 10 for just Optik?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMO, it doesn't make sense from any perspective. From personal experience, I've found Telus internet to be far superior over Shaw and much less expensive. That's the reason I switched the Telus.

Regardless of whether or not there's a world where you can get Optik w/o Telus Internet, you will always get 2HD/1SD feeds (or 3HD/1SD if you get on the new profile). If you're running all feeds at the same time, you'll notice a hit to your Internet speed (not the other way around).

·
Registered
783 Posts
You can't get Telus TV without Telus internet.
Yes you can. You need to have EITHER Telus ADSL OR Telus Home Phone to get Telus Optik TV. True that Optik TV is delivered over ADSL but presumably they shut it down so you can't use the ADSL if you don't subscribe to it.

·
Super Moderator
17,186 Posts
Since there is some conflicting info, here are the facts.

You can get Optik TV if you have Telus home phone OR internet.

If you have TV and internet, the bandwidth is dynamically managed so that TV gets all the bandwidth it needs and the internet gets whatever is left over. So not having internet won't give you more TV streams.

If you are on the 15 Mbps profile, the usable speed is 13 Mbps which supports 1 HD and 2 SD streams.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think the bandwidth left over for Internet never goes below 3 or 4 meg with both the 15 and 19 meg profiles. Not sure if there is more bandwidth left for internet on the 26 meg profile after allowing for 3HD/1SD streams.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
You can get Optik TV without any additional Telus services.
Not true according to Telus' own web site.

Optik™ TV Requirements

To watch Optik TV, you need one of the following, which can be installed along with your TV connection.

* TELUS Home Phone

* TELUS High Speed Internet service

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what Telus whats you to think to gain more business.
But I work for Telus as a sales rep and have signed up at least 15 Optik tv customer's without any additional services.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yup i agree with jcheema, i have optik tv without any other services... just recently added internet to it.. didnt want to pay shaw $55 a month as i have no other services with them..

·
Registered
42 Posts
anybody know of any telus reps in Victoria that would be willing to sign me up for just Telus TV - I really want to keep my shaw internet as I have extreme for only $10 per month until next Feb!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
My guess is that if you have someone else's Internet, Telus can't guarantee a quality of service for the IPTV. The bandwidth to your house is out of their control and Shaw could decide to throttle you anytime.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My guess is that if you have someone else's Internet, Telus can't guarantee a quality of service for the IPTV. The bandwidth to your house is out of their control and Shaw could decide to throttle you anytime.
Telus won't use the Shaw High speed to deliver Optik TV. Telus will install ADSL for Optik TV but will prevent you from using it to access the internet. Your only problem is getting around the published requirement to have either ADSL or Home Phone service. Call a service rep and tell them what you want and see what happens. You might be able to tell them that if you are happy with Optik TV you will switch to ADSL as well once your $10 a month Shaw high speed service ends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@marcp When Telus Optik TV is installed it uses Telus's internet not shaw's if someone is getting a Optik TV on its own. You dont have access to the internet however Optik TV will use Telus's internet. fyi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question

I am interested in Telus TV, my only concern is the lowered bandwidth for my internet. There are 4 people in my family plus my parents in the basement who would be using it too. We could get around only having three feeds but I don't want my bandwidth drastically lowered. Does anyone have complaints about their internet being really slow when all three feeds are in use? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
17,186 Posts
Hi Joanne,

Your internet speed will depend on the profile you qualify for at your location and whether you watch HD or SD channels. If you qualify for 3HD/1SD streams, you will still have close to 15 Mbps download speed with all streams active. With a 2HD/1SD profile, your speed will vary from about 15 Mbps with no TV streams active to under 2 Mbps with 2 HD and 1 SD stream. Watching a recorded program doesn't count as a stream.

You can check the Telus web site or call them to find out what you qualify for.

·
Registered
106 Posts
To qualify for optik, you need at least a 15 Mbps profile. Even with my PVR streaming/recording, i havent noticed a significant drop in my internet speeds. Although I admit, I usually watch and record SD channels.

You're internet experience will be impacted more by the activities of others in your household, imo. Especially if they are hogging all the left over bandwidth with filesharing. You should be fine for general internet browsing. I've heard of people having a dedicated router just for internet if they are concerned with the dlink handling too much at once.

The fastest I've seen my download speed go was last night @ 17.5Mbps while downloading LOTR online and I was watching one sd tv show. typically hung around 800kbps-14Mbps for the majority of the download.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts