Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been informed that George Saade has been charged under the Radio Telecommunications Act and that his first court hearing is this week in Ottawa.

I don't know any details so perhaps someone can investigate when the proceedings are to take place and find out what exactly he has been charged with.

Apparently details regarding his son are not publicly available since he is a minor.

WARNING - Read before Posting

To protect this site, I would ask that any details regarding the son not be posted. If you chose to do so, your post will be deleted and you may have your account revoked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did not read the Act to see who conducts the hearing, I assumed it was a Federal Court matter. The CRTC website doesn't appear to be as easy to search for hearings etc... but I will keep looking.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I always though, while all this was going on, that the father George Saade should be charged. The kid was and still is a minor and can not be fully held responsible for what took place. I followed this whole story from start to finish and George Saade encouraged his son to commit a crime and to continue to do so under his supervision.

The transmitter and tower was located at George Saade place of business that he owns. In the CBC interview George Saade seemed to me like a wise-ass strip club owner that thinks he can get away with anything. I hope they toss the book at the guy.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently last weeks meeting was just some lawyering up and the court date for Mr. Saade is May 5th where he will answer to charges under the Radiocommunication Act (likely Section 4.1) and enter a plea.

As noted earlier, the child is not part of this, so please keep the discussion focused on the dad so we are not forced to take down the thread by the authorities.

·
Registered
764 Posts
if it.s true that the charges goes agaisnt Mr. Saade then it will be a non guilty verdict not that i want the kid to be charged but that's true that the father did nothing against the RC act it was all the kid

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The father knowingly allowed his kid to run the station... The father is responsible for the kids actions because he's under 18 and the father did nothing to stop him, but rather encouraged him to continue to commit the crime. (This is well documented.. just watch CBC)

They we servers 3 cease & desist letters and he still let the kid run the station out of the father’s place of business. It's no different then if you sent your kid into a bank to rob it while you sat out in the car. The parent would be charged with the crime and could also face charges of child endangerment.

It'll be interesting when it hits the courts... the outcome will likely be the father will have to pay a large fine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
encourage someone of doing an action and doing an action ourselves is something totally different to me but yes it's true that the father was responsible for the kid's actions under the law and if he knewingly let him do something illegal thats another thing

so yes it will be interesting to see but i think he'll pay a fine and that's it

if i'd ne mr saade i'd be more worried about the exposure of my familly and hotel clients to radiation caused by the radio station

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When its all said and done, I imagine a fine will be paid.

My opinion is that anything less than $50,000 fine would be a huge miscarriage of justice.

This guy flaunted the law, snubbed his nose at Industry Canada and the federal government and likely cost taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars (including police, lawyers, Industry Canada time etc) so they have to make him pay dearly.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is the charge against the father personally, or also, or only, against the company that owns the building?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
hugh said:
My opinion is that anything less than $50,000 fine would be a huge miscarriage of justice.
I agree. But if I had to guess today, I would bet the fine will end up being 1/10th of that. I hope I'm wrong. However, his lawyer fees aren't going to cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I read the Act correctly, what fine he will face will depend very much if he is being charged individually, or if it is the corporation. If he is being charged individually, the maximum fine would be $5,000, and if it is the corporation the maximum fine is $25,000. I am not positive, but I also believe the charges would be heard in the Ontario Court of Justice, rather than the Federal Court.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts