Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm very new at this and looking for a new phone. Seems to me that Android has a lot of good things but the one thing that keeps popping up is the lack of updates for the phones.

Seems all the other phones MS/Iphone/bb all can be connected to a pc and updated via the os creator yet on all the Android phones you have to get your updates from the carrier.

As I read though the thread it seems like this is not working. When you pay $500+ for your phone do you not think you should be free to add all the updates the phone can handle?

Is this problem going to change?
If not I would think this will be a big part of why Android downfall

I did read that if you hack your phone you can perform the updates yourself but for most this really is not an option.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
There is no problem mentioning the carrier.

Unfortunately there is not a lot users can do about this other than unlocking/rooting your phone. Rogers (as an example) delayed a VERY important bug fix for the HTC Magic for many months until they could get a customized version of the OS from HTC. The bug affected 911 calls and Rogers delayed the release for over 6 months. Why? So that they could get the Rogers customizations into the OS. The kicker here is that the customizations are generally useless.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
my WM phone updates came the same way, i had to wait till htc and telus where good and ready to give the updates... My diamond wm6.1 never got any official os updates. I ended up rooting the phone to get 6.5.xxx

I know that my desire is supposed to get 2.2 from telus this month as per there website. But i would not hold my breath for any other updates from here on out.. just a hunch.. After my warranty period ill likely root/unlock the phone to stay current. but who knows maybe telus will actually keep supporting the desire for a full 3 year period?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me this is really holding back the OS with all others offering updates on a timely manner. Android users have to wait on the carriers.

I do understand the carriers why should they even want to help update your phone. The carriers already has your money and most have you under contract. They might even be betting on you rooting and breaking your phone so that they could sell you a new one. This is due to the fact that by doing any rooting or other deep OS changes you are voiding your warranty

In the end everyone is going to get sick of waiting and or hopping for updates and move to one of the other OS's that provide timely updates to bug fixes and added support

I have been tinking of getting an Android but this one problem is really holding me back.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
When you pay $500+ for your phone do you not think you should be free to add all the updates the phone can handle?
Is the Google Nexus One not on the latest version of Android?

Is Android the problem or are folks buying the wrong phone?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would say HUGH hit this one dead on. As if you buy an phone, its going to come with older software. Same as a laptop thats been discounted in a store, likely is has windows XP on it not windows 7. Some hardware simply will not run latest and greatest software smoothly or effectively. The issue with having updates released as soon as they are available is a problem with hardware and the compatibility issues with the many different brands as well. If you release software without thorough testing your going to have more complaints with things not working the same, lost information etc. Its simply not worth the headaches to do it right away for a system that functions properly from the start.

Where an Iphone has two models to contend with that are marginally different, Android has tons models and it seems each month a new faster better model is coming out. But look at what happens when they have issued major updates, they don't always go so smoothly.

I would not sit on the fence on android just because you "may" not get the latests irritation of it. 2.1 and 2.2 are phenomenal pieces of software and the functionality is astonishing for open source OS. Have a look at the HTC Desire, its a 1ghz processor 768mb of ram with 2.2 on it. Wickedly fast phone.

I have an older HTC Hero that I have rooted and put on 2.2 and it works pretty good. Not as lighting fast as a new phone that has 2.2 pre installed as well my processor is not as fast but still the OS runs slick and im the only one who notices.

Once again think of this windows xp vs windows 7 or upcoming windows 8. Would you sit on the fence and not bother buying a newer faster computer just because it MIGHT not support windows 8?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Is Android the problem or are folks buying the wrong phone?
No simple answer. The iPhone is "free" of all the carrier junk because Apple tightly controls the content on the phone.

The other phones get all the customizations as part of the experience that the carriers have decided their users want/need. Since they are subsidizing the price of the phone, you can't really blame them.

The Nexus One is free of all carrier non-sense but you have to pay full price. Any other Android phone that you buy directly from the manufacturer, or more correctly don't buy from a carrier, would be similarly free of junk.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Seems all the other phones MS/Iphone/bb all can be connected to a pc and updated via the os creator yet on all the Android phones you have to get your updates from the carrier.

I did read that if you hack your phone you can perform the updates yourself but for most this really is not an option.
Not true. When I got my Milestone, I downloaded the 2.1.1 update from the Motorola site, not the Telus site. The nexus one you updated from the htc site or ota

As for hacking your phone and installing updates, you are getting builds from hackers, not the official programmers. Many of these programs are missing features and you have to constantly flash your phones memory in order to keep installing these programs or to get updates that include new features. Some of the time it will even brick your phone. I don't think it is worth it to hack/root a phone in order to get something that is lacking features or possibly wreck it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
In principle, with Android OS 3.0, the customization of the UI is supposed to be separate from the main firmware. So the carriers would just create their UI once, and update to new firmware transparently, instead of the current mess.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The Nexus One is free of all carrier non-sense but you have to pay full price.

Yep.

The OP is arguing that Android is a problem because you can't get the latest and greatest firmware. I am simply saying that his assertion is simply not true.

The problem is consumers want the features of a full priced (i.e./ unlocked phone) but only want to pay the subsidized price. IMO, you can't have it both ways.

So the carriers would just create their UI once, and update to new firmware transparently, instead of the current mess
This is one reason that you can love or hate Apple. Some say they are too controlling but then they avoid this kind of situation.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
yet on all the Android phones you have to get your updates from the carrier.
Actually, that depends on both the brand and carrier. My Nexus One recently updated to the latest (v2.2.1). However, other phones have to wait for the manufacturer to update the software for their phone and then the carrier may have to do some more. As I understand it, Android v3 will allow the base OS to be updated independent of brand or carrier.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info
Sounds like we all hope that version 3 will fix some of the problems with being able to get updates if the carrier section and the main OS section are two different parts we could get the manufacture to provide us updates directly and the carrier can still have the phone locked and some bloatware on it as they like

Yes one phone out of the many out in the market you can get updates. But for me that one phone is not any of our main carriers
It’s really not all about subsidized phones as this really does not come into play if you ask me.
Rogers sells phone for $500 and you can get phone on contract for $200 all over the place for this yet you still can’t get updates without rooting the phone and no warranty if you do on carrier phones

It’s like buying a laptop and then not being able to download the patches from MS even if it’s to fix a flaw
The manufactures mostly don’t offer end user updates direct they go though the carrier to get them to the end users. Yes the carrier’s don’t care to check them and send them to the end user as they are already working on the next batch of phones along with the fact you already have a phone and contract the best they can hope for is for you to go out and try to do things yourself and break what you have so they can sell you another phone.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This discussion raises the obvious question... is it possible to by your own phone from a 3rd party and sign up with a carrier? Would a PDA or netbook that does VOIP over wifi make more sense (requires a "mobile internet" subscription)?

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I bought my Nexus One directly from Google. As a result, I get the updates as soon as Google releases them. My phone is also unlocked, so I can use with other carriers, including while travelling to avoid obscene roaming charges. There's not a lot a PDA can do that a smart phone can't these days. My phone also provides tethering via WiFi or USB for notebooks and I installed a VoIP softphone on it. When LTE and 4G come out, VoIP will be standard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts