·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the chuckle Larry.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What happened to the big 4? Love, Sex, Secret & God?

I don't understand monkey as a password choice at all.

All my passwords are in piglatin. ;)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
alljakTay,

Love, sex, Secret and God? I thought I had read somewhere that after "password", and "123456" the most common passwords were "iloveyou", and kids' names. I agree with you, though, monkey is a bizarre choice. I'm stumped by that as well.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tezster, even if sites did that, the person would probably start putting their password on a sticky.

On the forum, there is an algorithm that can be run that will inspect passwords and send emails to people who have vulnerable passwords. I have never sent it out because most people would either: not care or freak out because they thought I was secretly looking at their passwords. (which I can't do because its all encrypted in the database)

Ultimately, people have to take responsibility. I have numerous passwords that I use. The more important the site, the more unique and secure the password.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from 2006 article in U.K

Monkey was #8. Interestingly in the U.K, liverpool and Arsenal were top ten as well as letmein, qwerty, charlie and thomas. Go figure.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
My Sister and a good friend of mine visited us from England this Summer, not sure how or why but we got talking about passwords and I showed them the wonderful little gadget I got from PayPal (Learned about right here at Digital Home) that generates a new number every time you log in, after using your normal Password.

Well I challenged my friend to guess the 6 digit code, telling him that I would give him my PayPal password, then he could try the next level of security.

We all burst into laughter when we realised that all 3 of us had the exact same password for PayPal...... No it is not any mentioned so far but we were all very surprised.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
123456 and password.

Really, how stupid are people?
Is it really stupid though?

Better to use a simple password on something you don't care about being hacked than something you do.

If you used the same "secure" password on that site as your email, well, you're done for. Those are the real stupid people. Never use the same password for your email as the one you log in with on any other site.

On something that's not important, e.g. a blog comment login
Who cares if it's "hacked"? No one can access your other logins (unless they know where you've signed up, the username there, and/or gain access to your email - and if you're using 12345/password for an email pass, well.. i think you'd fall in the stupid pile :p)

The worst someone can do with your 'hacked' blog account login is post spam comments. Sounds like the world is ending to me. ;)

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I found this at the start of the year.

The 32 most popular passwords (no wonder so many of us get hacked)

Most of us routinely use passwords so simple, a monkey could figure them out. In fact, “monkey” is one of our favourites.

Amichai Shulman is the chief technology officer at Imperva, which makes software for thwarting hackers. Recently, he undertook a study of 32 million passwords stolen by an unknown hacker from Rockyou!, an online service that makes widgets for social networking sites like Facebook.

The list is depressing testimony to our collective lack of creativity in the arena of personal security.

“I guess it’s just a flaw in human genetics,” Shulman told the New York Times.

Bottom line, if your password is your first name and your secret first name isn’t NEhBuT3W4l.6, better think about making a switch.

Here they are, listed 1 through 32, in order of popularity:

1. 123456

2. 12345

3. 123456789

4. password

5. iloveyou

6. princess

7. rockyou

8. 1234567

9. 12345678

10. abc123

11. nicole

12. daniel

13. babygirl

14. monkey

15. jessica

16. lovely

17. michael

18. ashley

19. 654321

20. qwerty

21. iloveu

22. michelle

23. 111111

24. 0

25. tigger

26. password1

27. sunshine

28. chocolate

29. anthony

30. angel

31. FRIENDS (yes, all caps)

32. soccer
http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencetech/article/753811--the-32-most-popular-passwords-no-wonder-so-many-of-us-get-hacked

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it really stupid though?
Yes using 123456 or password as your password really is stupid. I think if we took a vote, 99% would agree, even those people who use 123456 or password as their password.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I have a better password on my Bell 9242 satellite receiver than that list. abc123 has been around for at least 20 years. No wonder that is easy to guess. But password, qwerty, 123 and 123456? Use some imagination people?! :confused:

Another bad habit is to use the same password over several internet sites. I do it but only on sites that won't matter much if they get hacked. Financially sensitive sites get stronger, unique passwords.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Next time you are visiting a friend with an alarm system in their home, start playing with their keypad by keying four digit codes starting at 1955 and incrementing by one until you get a valid hit. High probability you will be "in" within two minutes.

Whether they use their own birth year, their kids or their grandchildren, you will get it in short order.

I actually have a algorithm in my head which produces an easy to remember but strong unique password for every website (strangely, with the exception of this one...I varied the password rule and universal screen name when i set up this account...I don't think i expected to use it as long i have have been!)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I know someone like that. For older people, just go backwards from 1955.

Exactly.. I at least use a capital P.
Good one. If you really want to fool the hackers use a capital D. ;)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Most common house alarm code, I suspect, is the house number or the house's telephone number. Just a guess but when I have visited some relatives, the code is often their street address.

·
Registered
699 Posts
it stems from the fact no one cared about their gawker accounts really... :)
these days between pins for the credit cards...bank cards...email addresses...social media accounts....just too much to keep track of. I can understand why some people just don't care about their accounts on certain sites and use the easiest thing just to get in.

basically any name or word that is in the dictionary is just as bad a password as 12345...because any decent hacker worth his salt can hack that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts