Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my some of my recordings are being deleted all by themselves

the pvr says i've used up 90% of my space

the shaw rep says that once it's says 90% that it may start deleting recordings on it's own if have have lot of future recordings in the next 2 weeks

all my recordings are set to 'delete when space needed' I'm aware that i could change recording functions to 'delete when i want to'

anyone else out here with similar experiences?

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
It seems to be functioning as it should. Just as an FYI, you should never allow a PVR to become that full. Usually anything beyond 80% is not good and can cause issues that you many not like. It's the same with computers and hard drives. One should never let a drive get that full, preferably staying under 50% for optimum performance.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Correct. Most PVRs start deleting recordings once the drive exceeds 90% capacity. The rule of thumb for hard drives is to never exceed 90% capacity. Beyond that performance drops precipitously. Some devices and operating systems enforce this rule by hiding the extra 10% and reporting 90% capacity as 100% to avoid confusion and maintain performance.

To avoid losing recordings, it's a good idea to keep disk capacity well under 90%. Some people recommend keeping the drive under 75% full at all times in order to maintain the best performance.

It's sometimes possible to protect recordings so that they don't get deleted. In that case, the PVR will skip deleting a protected file and delete another instead. On some PVRs, the program must be protected in the timer, before it is recorded. On other PVRs, the recording's protected status can be changed at any time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts