Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in it appears they are now enabling the annoying ads in Canada if you have a Garmin that comes with lifetime traffic. Previously I have only heard about these if you were travelling in the U.S.

Here is a screenshot I took on Dec. 30th near the GTA. For privacy reasons I switched views so my actual location/speed/etc. were not displayed prior to capturing a screenshot, but the ads (2) first appeared in the main map view.

Touching the ad on the screen, generated a list of local restaurants, that I assume it pulled from the POI database. Since this is the first and only time I have seen this in Canada, it could be that on the day this ad popped up, my Garmin 265WT was receiving the traffic data from a Buffalo/Rochester radio station since I was close to Lake Ontario.

Free is never free. When I bought this unit, I didn't know anything about the possibility of ads showing up, until I got it home and read the manual.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Can't this crap be avoided if you use a normal power plug and not the one with the traffic receiver built in?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes but then you won't get the traffic reports

In order to get the traffic unfortunately the ads (not obtrusive) come with the package. I got ads on mine (rare though), since last summer.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

If you use the normal power plug you avoid the ads ... but avoid the traffic information too.

regards

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Fortunately I live in a rural area, so ads won't be an issue
Unfortunately, I live in a rural area, so traffic reports won't be an issue...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't think they had Olive gardens in Canada any longer... I have never seen an ad on my GPS in Canada and it's been on for last few days.

Maybe it was a left over from your last USA trip? Interesting however that it just showed up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In order to get the traffic unfortunately the ads (not obtrusive) come with the package. I got ads on mine (rare though), since last summer.
Ads in Canada? I have had my unit for a very long time now and I have never seen one pop up. It has been on several trips to USA where I use it in my rentals and they just disappear when I get back home.

They are annoying I must agree.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Being in Windsor, I get the bleed over from Detroit on mine since the day I turned it on. The worst is that there's no traffic info for the Windsor area anyway, so I get the worst of both worlds.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I have had my Garmin 1350 LMT for almost 6 months and have not seen an ad so far in Canada. I'll be in the US soon and will report back how annoying/intrusive these are when I get back.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i dotn see the issue its a tiny add that gives you free traffic info. if it wasnt there youd be paying for it!!

think about OTA - it wouldnt be there without the ads. so embrace them as what they are. (to me a form of entertainment lol)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts