Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know if I can buy this device outright and NOT sign up with Rogers or Bell for a data plan? I need it for testing purposes for work, and Wi-Fi is all I would need, so no need to pay $30+/month for data.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I believe Samsung was predicting a 1 million units during the first quarter.

So much for Steve Jobs comment about 7" tablets being DOA.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm not surprised that sales are good since this is essentially the first major Android tablet and there is a lot of pent up demand. What I am curious about is, how will it fare next year when there are a slew of Android Tablet competitors?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Would be nice if they offered a WIFI only options on these tablets.

Probably off topic but it would be nice to see tablets sold as a mobile solution but also as a netbook/laptop alternative where we can use them via wifi only...

As a current Android phone user, this would be fun to have but requires more carrier charges to own one and in the end does nothing more then my phone already does. The larger screen makes it an attractive home devise or in car devise for watching movies on the go... It would just be nice to go buy one not tied to a carrier that can be used on wifi only..

Probably this will come in time

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just this morning at BestBuy US, they said that the WiFi models are coming but are currently unavailable due to delays from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My bad -- didn't see this until after I posted but Rogers and Bell have disabled the phone on the p1000 galaxy tab - I have an unlocked unit coming next week and will try my rogers sim card before I leave the store. If it's blocked at the network level I guess I send it back and wait for the E7 :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the tab and love it -- but do not buy a "branded" unit since most north american carriers have crippled the phone side of the unit - I have an unlocked unit and am able to make phone calls - sms messaging and still have my data plan all under one roof. The ability of this unit to act as a phone is what gives it the leg up on the ipad - and the size works much better for me - if you are using it as a phone the sms messaging is great and swype is the best -- a bluetooth headset is a must but most people are opting for that anyway --

It does upset me that these companies cripple units - that's why I have only ever bought and used unlocked phones - contracts are restrictive and limits you to being able to have control -- If you travel a lot it's a real pain to be locked in by a specific carrier.

There are far to many "city" based carriers appearing in Canada - anyone who travels is limited still to the "big 3" and their subsidiaries. Should not national coverage be part of their mandate as well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts