Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Samsung Canada confirmed today that the Galaxy Tab, Samsung's first mobile powered tablet, is scheduled for Canadian release in the coming months.

The Android OS 2.2 powered device will feature a 7-inch enhanced TFT display screen with 1024 x 600 resolution, accelerometer, a 1GHz Hummingbird Application processor. Bluetooth connectivity, and support for Adobe Flash player.

Also is a built-in rear-facing 3.2 megapixel camera for taking pictures and a front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera and camcorder, enabling video chat with other people who have video conferencing capabilities.

The Tab will come in 16/32GB 3G versions with a 32GB external memory slot and will be available through Rogers Wireless and Bell Mobility. No word on whether a Wifi only version will be sold in Canada.

Pricing was not announced.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes, yes. Very nice.

Is multi-tasking possible on the Tab? Also, I wish the screen was bigger.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
As a story this morning in the NYtimes stated, the problem with the current iterations of Android (including FroYo 2.2) is that it and its App store just weren't designed for the tablet form factor, and as such, many apps simply won't display properly, if at all.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/20/everything-you-need-to-know-about-tablets-right-now/

The iPud may not be perfect, but when you control OS and hardware for all releases, the end product is going to be a lot more stable and predictable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The iPad has the exact same problem, all the apps in the market were designed for the iPhone. It has only been recently that apps have been made specifically for the table screen size.

Android tablets will have them too.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I thought CHROME OS was supposed to be used for tablets?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The difference is that every app in the Apple App Store (phone apps exempted, of course) WOULD work on the iPad, but it would just appear as iPhone-sized. The Google exec. quoted in that article was saying that some apps won't display properly (totally distorted), or not at all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
To put things in perspective, the Android OS started to support resolution like 480x800 only with 1.6. So if you have an application built for 1.5, the hardware will lie and report itself as 320x556 or such, then scale to fit the screen. So that's likely to be the issue with tablets having an unsupported native resolution under the Android OS < 3.0. While it's not optimal, it might not necessarily be that distorted.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For sale beginning tomorrow.

$540 at Rogers with 3 year data plan.

It had previously leaked that Bell would sell for $649 but that may come down now that Rogers has announced its pricing.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Comparison: iPad 3G is $679 without any contract.

with a 36 month contract, I think the Tab needs to be about $249 or $299 to have a chance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Both are expensive when you look at the other Android players out there heck the Huawei Ideos S7 is going for about $300 WITSTECH A81E go for about $200 MANY options in the $200-$350 range.

I was curious what the Galaxy Tab was going to come in at, but at that price Ill grab something else as even HTC has an Android Tablet coming :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
763 Posts
I can't believe Rogers with the pricing.. save you a whopping $135 by signing a 3 year contract? And the monthly options, $30/500MB, $35/1GB, up to $65/5GB.. why does it get treated different than iPad plans?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can't believe Rogers with the pricing.. save you a whopping $135 by signing a 3 year contract? And the monthly options, $30/500MB, $35/1GB, up to $65/5GB.. why does it get treated different than iPad plans?
A little under-the-table payment, or some arm-twisting, from Mr. Job, perhaps? ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts