Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just realized/noticed that the headphone jack on the Galaxy Nexus is on the bottom of the phone.

Can anyone comment on the annoyance factor of that?
It's the same for the Nexus S. I never considered it an annoyance. In fact, when I'm wearing headphones, the phone sits in my pocket nicely. When I have to take it out of my pocket, it's a simple process of grabbing it by the sides and then the phone is right-side up in my hands, with the connector facing me, protected from any obstacles, like other people in a packed Skytrain (subway) car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What version of ICS do you have on your Galaxy Nexus?

Does anyone have a newer version of ICS than 4.0.1? I have an unlocked Galaxy Nexus from Bell and I'm still on 4.0.1 (build number ITL41F.I9250UGKL1). Settings > About phone > System Updates indicates my phone is up to date.

I've noticed a couple problems: auto rebooted (once) and the screen has locked after a just few seconds of inactivity (a few times, fixed by manually turning the phone off and on).

Also, does anyone know who is responsible for OTA updates for Bell's Galaxy Nexus phones (i.e, Samsung, Bell, ...)? I plan on switching from my Bell SIM to a Rogers SIM - if Bell is responsible for OTA updates, would I still get it?

I installed the GN Official Update Checker app https://market.android.com/details?id=de.cbruegg.officialupdate&hl=en
It indicates the the product name of my device is "yakjuux" and is not updated by Google.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
TorontoColin is correct. Carriers don't decide when Nexus phones get updated - it's up to Google. I'm guessing that they will still do a gradual rollout to make sure that no major bugs are found when they update.

Mine was stuck on 4.0.1 as well, but I ended up flashing a custom rom instead. There hasn't been many updates for the phone yet (4.0.2 rolled out to some devices though).

edit: If you are concerned however, you could always flash one of the stock builds from Google directly.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Actually, only the yakju firmware versions are updated directly by Google. The yakjuux firmware is region/carrier specific, and will be sent out from either Samsung or your carrier.

Personally, one of the reasons I purchased an original Nexus One was for quick updates, so when I get a Galaxy Nexus, I will be flashing it to the Google yakju version.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, after using this phone for about 3 months, I really wish I bought something else.

Problems:

1. Glass is really soft. I had my Nexus One for 2 years, and never had so much as a mark on the screen. In three months with this piece of crap, and there are a bajillion tiny micro scratches all over the screen. Right now you can only see them when the screen is black and from certain angles, but they are getting worse and worse. I have always hated screen protectors (and never needed one before), but I may have to break down and get one. The curved screen is just a useless gimmick that prevents Samsung from using the much more scratch resistent Gorilla Glass. Terrible quality.

2. About 3 times per week, when I get up in the morning the phone has lost connection to the network, and I have to either boot in recovery mode, or sometimes just pull the battery and sim card, reboot and pray that it can connect again. It is not a network or sim card problem, because when it happens, I can still connect with my N!. This is a huge problem for me.

3. It is possible that some connection problems are associated with this version of the firmware, according to a few reports on the net. Unfortunately, Samsung is still holding the Canadian versions of the Galaxy Nexus at 4.0.1. Some people are reporting that connection problems have been fixed with the newer versions. Now I have to scour the net to figure out how to install the yakju firmware so I get updates. The reason I wanted the Nexus line in the first place is so I didn't have to waste my time with this stuff. Grrrr.

HTC for the win next phone.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've had mine since February and I don't have those issues. I keep the phone in a pouch when I'm not using it and the glass is still like new. I don't have any connectivity problems either since it was updated to 4.02.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
just flash yajkuu it will solve your problems other then the screen.

i have a scratch too after 2 months of ownership.

still think its the best phone out next to the one X

need to get a screen protector i guess. was hopeing to avoid it. luckly the scratch for me is not on the lit portion of the front glass.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the screen, but I'm extremely careful. I don't use a screen protector, but I always keep it in a pocket by itself.

My Galaxy Nexus is running yakjuu, and I did have that connection issue until the second 4.0.4 update. I'd recommend flashing the yakjuu build to get the updates promptly.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts