1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Couldn't they have extracted the costs by using in-app advertising, and offering the service for free? I've read the in-app advertising sticks with users more than mobile web ads. I don't see this ever competing with satellite radio, which IMHO is where this is possibly heading.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess is there's no way they could pay for this through in-app ads. Just like Spotify or Rdio, you need subscription revenue to make it work.

I prefer Rdio as you can download your favourite tunes to your iOS or Android device so you can listen to songs even when you don't have 3G or Wifi access.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They claim BB will be supported "soon"

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I pay approximately twice as much for Live365.com ($41.70 semi-annually = $83.40 / year), so the price isn't that bad. Sirius.ca is twice as much as live365, at $164.89 per year plus fees & taxes. The Galaxie selection does seem rather limited with only 45 stations. But if you only want music, it's comparable to Sirius, which has a bunch of sports/news/talk channels to boost its channel count.

The real killer will be data usage. That might get expensive.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Interesting. I already stream Galaxy's Adult Alternative in the car over the iphone's SlingPlayer set to audio only. The sound is way better than Sirius' sound will ever be over current technology (for which I also pay). Besides that channel however, Galaxy has extremely narrow playlists and is not worth the extra investment, especially if you already have it available at home to sample.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts