Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
What a mess!

This is all very weird.
I'm surprised that Shaw and by extension Starchoice supported it given their Sunday Dinner Table attachment to Corus and the fact that Shaw owned DMX Canada and held a portion of DMX U.S., the precursor's to the current MaxTrax.

Now I've totally lost any and all respect for Rogers in lieu that they were negotiating in bad faith to white label MaxTrax and then decided they would build their own and now this.

As for the CRTC, unless I'm mistaken, did I not read just a few week prior to the decision that re-broadcast of satellite radio woule NOT be allowd in Canada as XM/DirecTV and Sirius/Dish do in the U.S.

Given some of the lame arguments about CDN Subs going external for services, one could/should use that same argument with the CRTC to either permit wholesale rebroadcasting of HBO, Showtime and the lot and who cares about Corus and Astral, or just licensee Murdock and Ergen to operate their services in Canada.
After all, millions of us already have DirecTV and Echostar receivers and dishes pointed their way.

It also creates a have & havenot digital audio consumer.
Those that would get the free MaxTrax/Galaxie with the cost of owning/renting the box and the premium subs would could have XM/Sirius.

Ron, this just might get you the narrow content you're looking for, albiet at a possibel premium and it looks like ShawChoice is at least interested.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is Max Trax "The Spa" (Rogers 738) off the air?

It shows on the TV screen, but there hasn't been any audio for a few days now.

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Then it's a Rogers Specific problem

I'm the guy who designed and maintains MaxTrax, and it's been playing just fine on Shaw & Starchoice.

I'm listening to it right now at home.

I've had calls from Corus Master Control that Rogers said such and such was off and I was standing right next to the playback machine and the satellite uplink and it was 100%, so they are having some localized issues.

Contact Rogers on that one I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Called Rogers to cancel the ticket regarding the Global Maritimes issue and open a ticket on The Spa problem.

CSR asked me to go to the channel 738 and it was working again. Doh! :D

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Just read this whole thread, and just wanted to say my opinions on the issue.

in my opinion, the Maxtrax/Galaxie 20/20 offering could be so much better, I am younger than most of the people commenting in this thread, so my music tastes are different, but what is stopping any cable co / satellite company from offering the other MaxTrax or 25 Galaxie channels as a premium tier on their offering so you get the 40 free, and if you want the other 25-30 - you could pay an additional $2?

As with the offering of Sirus or XM on Digital cable, I would just like to see my Cable Co - add the AM and FM local stations - to digital cable, and then worry about XM and sirus... lol - but I would love to see 100+ audio services on cable, but I believe they do that just because Video services make them more money than audio - so they don't see it as viable, but as the customer experience I would like to see lots of audio also.

My favourite galaxie channel, which I have only seen on Bell is Galaxie's The Hit List, yes Max Trax has Hit List but Galaxies was so much better in terms of song selection and enjoyment in my opinion.

I think we would all agree though that more selection is the key - let us choose and give us options to do it!

Shawguy

·
Registered
806 Posts
Is Age Important

I started buying records (now cd) back in 1964, so that makes me an old guy. I prefer hard rock and blues now, just like I did in the sixties. My pet peeve is that old people don't like loud music. I don't think our personal taste in music changes much as we age, it just gets refined a bit. This holds true for people that really enjoy music and amass record collections. Casual listeners didn't care all that much when they were young, and care even less as they age.

ron v likes easy listening music, but perhaps he always did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You are probably right about Tastes not necessarily being a function of age. In the 1960's I was listening to CHUM FM when it was still a classical-only FM music station. That was before CHUM imported "Murray The K" from California to Toronto to introduce the now-ubiquitous format I think they call adult contemporary pop. I have never been much of a fan of that FM format, and still prefer the kinds of music relegated to the AM radio dial (at least in Toronto).

I would have thought that a format that covers Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Nana Mouskouri, Henry Mancini would surely be available somewhere on one of the 40 digital channels offered on Digital TV services.

Turns out, the format IS available, but it happens to be one of the 25 Galaxie channels NOT offered on Star Choice.

I contend that Canadians would be better served by Digital TV music channels if Max Trax were just placed out of the way to make room for the broader range of choices from Galaxie, the superior service. If you don't believe me, just look over the Galaxie website to see what we are missing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do listen to a few of the digital music channels. I have my digital box connected through my sound system. Then I turn the tv off and just listen through my stereo speakers.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
On my Harmony, I select "Listen to Music" and that

- powers up my a/v to Neo6: Music (uses all speakers but maintains the stereo associated with the broadcast)

- powers up my SA8300HD, changes the channel to # 512 which is Galaxie "Easy Listening"

and enjoy great music and great sound from my system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mfaben, Thank you for your comment.
You are one of several listeners who have pointed out Galaxie's "Easy Listening" channel.
I envy you. Most cable and satellite channels in Canada do not carry it.
I have contacted the Max Trax service that usually shares the music channels with Galaxie refuses. MaxTrax refuses to provide anything that matches Galaxie's "Easy Listening". All they suggest is to try the Max Trax "Memories" channel. Memories is a sappy, instrumental format that is what we used to call "elevator music".

·
Registered
108 Posts
galaxy

The 45 Galaxy channels (501-545) are in MPEG 2 and all are coming in at 192 Kbps on QAM 05 in Videotron's Illico digital service.

I find this to be a wonderful service. (mfabien said)

Now downgrade to 128 kbps

illico2.tripod.com/NumMtl200703Expl.html#04

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
That's the same data rate that MaxTrax is encoded at.
The difference being that Galaxie outputs their sound in Analog and then re-encodes it, while MaxTrax has gone the extra mile and used a 100% complete digital transmission path.

Now if only they could add/adjust some of the formats to keep Ron V happy.

I guess in music, technical superiority means nothing if you don't like the selections.

·
Registered
23 Posts
portable galaxy radio

why can't we have Galaxie radio portable like Sirrus or XM? I must admit, being a huge fan of Canadian bands I really enjoy their selection, and I find that the Galaxie stations do a far better job of mixing artists and music than the popular mobile Satellite radio. Have you ever listened to a XM station for longer than 8 hours? I find the same bands and tunes over and over, it's almost as bad as FM radio (thankfully without the commercials).
I think Bell Sat/Starchoice should go mobile, they utilize it within West Jet flights, why not someones vehicle? Normal FM radio has become very bland with the same music/commercials and DJ's, I can't remember the last time I had a radio station on!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any idea as to why Shaw doesn't have "Nothin' but 90's" available on their Galaxie music channels? My girlfriend keeps lamenting the fact there is a 70's and 80's channel but no 90's!?

Would it help to beg Shaw to add it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
As I expected! I emailed Shaw asking them if they could add the 90's music channel. Shaw replies telling me it's not their call, to contact Galaxie. I send the same email to Galaxie, and........... yup, they tell me to talk to Shaw!!:mad:

In a huff, I forward everyones passing of the buck to both parties, of which no reply from Shaw but another reply from Galaxie explaining the obvious - Shaw makes the decision to add channels to their lineup.

I guess we will see that channel in the year 2020............:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts