Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

A little tidbit of info I found out last night when I lost my internet connection. I turned on my FibeTV and was faced with a blank black screen on all my channels. I thought ok, TV is out, lets watch something I PVRed - when I selected the program and pressed play - I was once again presented with a blank black screen. Hmm, I decided to go online to see if I can search our a solution and low and behold, I didn't have internet. So I rebooted my Bell Router/Modem and 5 minutes later still nothing happened. I called the Fibe Tech support line and as I was talking to the guy, my TV and internet came back - apparently it can take quite a few minutes for the boxes to synchronize.

But I did find out that you can't even view your recordings if the TV/Internet is down as the PVR box requires a authentication back to the Bell mothership everytime you want to watch a recordings. Hmm, not what I wanted to hear. I guess "big brother" knows every time we turn on a TV or watch a recording - but we don't even have recordings to fall back on when the TV goes out!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yea - the way Microsoft Media Room is designed, is it needs to authorize all playback of material, whether it be live or recorded material on the internal HDD (PVR).

I find it takes a solid 5-7 minutes for the CellPipe modem to come back online, authenticate and get an IP for both the Internet VLAN and TV VLAN. Then, the box needs to get an IP from the CellPipe, which usually takes about 30 seconds, but sometimes it too needs to be rebooted after the modem has it's IP's.

·
Banned
12 Posts
well, this is stupid .. i hope they come up with a to way fix that ..

does it have to authenticate each and everytime you decide to watch a recording? or would it work, for instance, if the internet goes dead when the pvr was already turned on and "checked in" with bell ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sort of - but it's how it was designed for content protection. This isn't really something that needs to be 'fixed' - it works as it's supposed to.

From what I read before is that each time you want to play a recording, it needs to get the authorization to play from the service provider. There's a key the STB needs to get to allow the recording to play.

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
You would think that if it had the authorization to record, that would be enough to allow you to play that recording at any future time without the need for "reauthorization". However, with IPTV, that is not the case - requires authorization each time you wish to see the recording.

Our SA8300HDs from Rogers used to require connection to the cable to boot after a power failure and then play recordings. They will now boot and play recordings without being connected to cable (for a time period). I believe after about 3-4 weeks, the unit will be "deauthorized" and will not work then without being connected and reauthorized by Rogers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts