Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure why I was always told that a tech needed to come out to switch boxes. I found it quite strange since the wiring has been done.

On my second call to Telus it was confirmed that boxes can be swapped out by the customer as long as they get a NEW registration code from Telus.

I will be swapping tomorrow and hope all goes well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you kept the card of your original installer, just give them a call if you have issues. As long as you have the code, all should be well.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep Telus gave me a new code for the new box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just done the swap out over the phone myself. I recall asking a tech a while back if I could swap out myself and he said a phone call should do it. I first called the Billing and Customer support at Telus and the fellow said he was almost a 100% sure it couldn't be done over the phone. After convincing him I could swap out my XBOX for a Telus HD box he said he would try but something may get messed up and they may have to send a tech out.

So he's starts the process and during this time I realize he is swapping out my XBOX with a reg code for another XBOX. Once he realizes what he did he says he cannot reverse this and I would have to call back in 24 - 48 hours. At this point I am pretty steamed because it seemed like he didn't want to deal with me from the get go.

So I call back the next morning and another fellow who seemed a little more pleasant said he couldn't swap the boxes out and would have to send a tech out in early january. I explain to him another Telus agent was starting the process out yesterday and he says to try "Tech Support" as they may be able to do the swap over the phone.

I then get transferred over to Tech Support where a very helpful lady gets my HD box running in 5 minutes or so by giving me a new Registarion code to enter in the HD box menu. So after several calls I can say to anybody trying this to call telus Tech Support to get the fastest results.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Unregistered boxes will prompt for a reg code when they boot up. Boxes that have a code will boot straight to TV. There is no way for a customer to view or change the reg code on his box without a phone call to TS.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also recently swapped boxes from a rental to one i've purchased recently.

Pretty easy process. Just called in to get a new code and shipped the rental box back to Telus (Telus paid for shipping)

The only downside is that their system takes 24 hours to update.
So even though i got the new code, i couldn't enter it within the 24 hours.
(Don't know why their system does that, shaw is right away. Same for requesting new channels, you get to watch it in 24 hours.... )

·
Registered
129 Posts
The system is hit or miss, but you can generally enter the reg codes within minutes (same goes for channel changes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts