Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Of course we do. Why would they want to have shows on one channel when they can charge you for two instead and offer double the old reruns and cheap reality shows?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
There is hardly enough content for one FX channel now. This is either a cash grab or a necessity due to ridiculous Cancon regulations. Do we really need another channel with endless reruns of Son's of Anarchy, The Americans, 3D Rock and Murdock Mysteries?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Let's look at it in a different way:

It seems as if they're trying to make something like Spike. You know what else turned into a network like Spike? G4.

I'm not sure if G4 Canada is going to be re-branding as the Esquire Network too due to its differing scope; but, if they can leave EP Daily/Reviews on the Run in off-peak hours to cater to the technology mandate, Rogers could theoretically make it an FXX. Though personally, I'd rather see them stick to technology and maybe make their own brand?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, Rogers own G4 Canada. But it would be tough for Rogers to replace G4 to FXX or Esquire, the channel had made a foul called by CRTC that it doesn't air enough program that is related to technology (as G4 Canada is under the license of TechTV) and CRTC is keeping an eye on G4.(The same issue applies on OWN Canada as it was licensed as an adult educational channel)

And for Esquire Channel, the license which is closest to it in Canada is H2 (operating on the Men TV license, which was later renamed the Cave before it was purchased by Shaw and re-branded again as H2). So if Rogers is trying change it to Esquire, I wonder if Shaw will say something on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Swan-ch said it. You might be aware of the incident with the CRTC and OWN recently, where the CRTC issues a mandatory order requiring OWN to focus on its nature of service as a educational channel. And if OWN doesn't comply, it could mean they will lose their licence. Apparently it's a serious matter, and the federal court could be involved if OWN doesn't comply. Although, given the history of the CRTC, who knows really how serious it really is, but I have to say under the leadership of the new CRTC-chair, they seem to be more strict than in the past, which IMO is a good thing.

But anyways, with all that said, G4 was actually suppose to go to a hearing similar to OWN because the CRTC called them out on them not following their nature of service with as a tech channel, but just months I believe before the hearing was to take place, Rogers made some sudden changes to the schedule and the CRTC cancelled the hearing.

So, with that, I would find it very unlikely Rogers would rebrand G4 as FXX or Esquire Channel and further irking and testing the patience of the CRTC at this point, since they were just inches away from essentially getting slapped with a mandatory order of their own. Now, things could always change down the road, like the CRTC may get a new chair at some point and the new guy might be very lax like the previous chair, or the CRTC could change it's rules too at some point. But as things stand now, I doubt Rogers will be trying anything like rebranding G4 Esquire or FXX.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I see the article mentioned about the possibility of Rogers also launching FXM for Canada, which kind of would compete with TCM. I wonder if it will happen? Rebranding G4 or maybe BIO might happen since that would maximize their carriage, if they go with a new license then viewership would be low. FXX will just be another channel Bell won't pick it up.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
The license for G4 doesn't meet what FXX has to offer and OLN the same. And with the clamp down the CRTC has gone after Shaw/Corus with the Oprah Network I doubt Rogers will try and rebrand G4 or OLN. I do see them going after a new license but that may take some time and there's no guarantees the CRTC will grant them one? I'd laugh if the CRTC said NO

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I think it will be a rebrand. It seems to be the MO of Rogers,Bell and Shaw.

Whether a rebrand or new channel. Rogers will split up the programming on FX.:mad:

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is what their Facebook moderator said when I inquired about FXX:

"FXX is coming to Canada soon, not the same time as the US, but details will be shared shortly! Cheers"

So it is coming, whether or not it will be a new channel or a rebrand of an existing channel is still up in the air. I replied asking what are their plans with regards to the channel being a rebrand or a new channel. I will update when i hear back.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts