Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having trouble with 91 W ? Other transponders are working great, but the one with fx only has quality for a few seconds. Goes up to 45 - 50% then goes off. any ideas?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hey there BigRed,
3800 H 30000, where FX east & west are seems ok here

·
Registered
928 Posts
The transponder is very strong, it sounds like you are having receive site issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The quality goes to 65%. But it momentarily flickers and loses the quality, just for a second. but it is enough to have freezing screen and not be able to watch it. Didn't have any problems for a long time. ? Other channels on dif tps same bird comin in ok.

Good to communicate with you guys (y'all as we say down here) , i have been out of the loop for a while.

One more thing, whats a good receiver to buy. Im wanting HD and mpeg4 now. Im using sonicview which has served well but is not hd or mpeg 4. Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
What's your budget?

The AZBox ultra runs for $295 USD plus free shipping from Missouri.
It does Mpeg 2/4, 4:2:2, and S2 (Blindscan!)
It also has network connectivity to stream files from your LAN (Divx, MKV, ect) and a browser for web surfing.
There is also a premium and premium ultra model if you wanted to sacrifice S2 blind scanning to have wifi LAN connectivity.

http://www.azbox-digital.com/index.php?id=16&tbl=registos&id2=14

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
budget is tight at our house. everybody around here is suffering from the economy collapse. Factories have closed, banks won't lend money , .....I'll just have to suffer thru for now.

The transponder quality signal that has FX and several other channels on it will not stay up. It goes up to 50 or 60%, but falls right back down, then up again. Sometimes a picture will appear but freezes since it has no continuing quality signal. Other transponders on the same sat do just fine. Where should i start to look for the problem? I do not have this problem on other sats.
I dont see anything wrong that i can tell. Could the feed horn be off or twisted a little bit? we did have a freak snow storm down here, 10". A skew problem?

Any help is appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you mean the dish, I get several satellites but not all that i should. I've been doing this for about a year and a half, but i still don't know what i'm doing.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
A while ago on mine, I was just missing at the top of the arc (sats near my longitude). Could easily get most everything, but certain transponders near the top of the arc would do what ur describing, jump up, disappear, lock back up, disappear... I wound up going thru the documentation at that link again, and decided to check the Declination setting of my mount relative to my location. Guess I just assumed whoever I got the dish from had it set correctly, so I never bothered with it. Sure enough, it was off by a couple degrees! Getting that right makes a huge difference when it comes to tracking the arc correctly, because everything else depends on it. If it's wrong, all bets are off tracking wise.

Not sayin that's ur problem, but it's worth the effort to check it out. All ya need is an inclinometer to measure it, and some decent sized wrenches to set it, should it need adjustment. It can be somewhat confusing on where exactly to measure it depending on the specific polar mount being used, but I think if ya follow the instructions there, you'll be fine. If ya did find it off, then once set correctly, u'd wanna go back thru the other alignments, like ur due south elevation, and the mount on the pole adjustment at the lowest satellite, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes perfect sense to me. The dish and mount, etc... Is one I literally dug up at someone's house. I bought the feedhorn that you told me about and there you go, I'm in the C-band world. It could be off in several places, lol
As soon as this freak snow storm is over and the snow melts, I'll get out there and check it out. Gonna be 10 degrees tonight and 67 degrees Sunday, go figure?

while we're on this subject, I use a smaller dish for ku-band, usually set at 101w. The BUD won't pick up the ku band transponders and the bird dog unit says I'm at 101w on the bud. I'm using a sonicview 360 and the ku band and c band are listed as separate sats. The feed horn is supposed to be c/ku band. You think maybe if my arc is off a little then ku band wouldn't come in ? The new feedhorn wasnt supposed to need a signal from the receiver to change over to ku band was it?

We have dropped our sub to DISH, since we've got so many sat channles on fta and i built a bow tie type hd antenna (with help from guys on this forum),for ota, i convinced my wife to save that $100/month. My wife is still having issues with the remote control but she's gettin there.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
The new feedhorn wasnt supposed to need a signal from the receiver to change over to ku band was it?
I'm not sure what ur feedhorn is, nor how ya got it hooked up.
What feedhorn do you have on ur Bud now?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DMX741 C/KU Band LNBF
The above is the lnbf or feedhorn i have. I got it from Sadoun for around $45. usd.
There are several transponders on different satellites that I can't get. I never did understand why, just worked with what i could get. You, (Majortom), sent me a link last year to a setup guide for big dishes. I think I printed it out and put it in my notebook. I will review it while i'm working out of town next week and maybe retain it a little better.
I dont know how other people do it, but ive got a big notebook of how to do instructions, picutres of different equipment, questions and answers on this and other forums, etc, etc. If the computer crashes, all of my notes and information won't go with it.
Nine degrees last night, supposed to be near sixty degrees tomorrow, the snow will be gone soon, and I can get the bud checked out.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
gotcha. let us know if ya have any more questions when checking things.
Should be around...

couple notes about ur lnbf. Looks like it uses a 22 KHZ tone to switch between C and Ku, so ur question about switching is yes, a signal from the receiver is used in order to switch between bands. U have to configure that in the receiver's setup. refer to the installation instructions that came with it.

Did you install the di-electric block to allow some circular polarization?
I'm pretty sure if you did, that may degrade your Linear Polarization somewhat. i.e. - There is no free lunch.
If you have it installed now, I'd try testing without it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took my birdog meter and hooked up to the feed at the dish. I slowly adjusted the elevation, the signal quality went to 70 on horizontal and 98+ on the vertical . I went inside and i still get freezing on fx, and all other channels on that transponder. What i dont understand is that it came in fine a few weeks ago and now it doesn't. I removed the discq switch and connected directly.

Still no fx. ?

Gonna read the owners manual again on the sv-360, see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
For FX East and West, you are looking at Galaxy 17, 91 W
3800 MHz, Horiz, SR=30000 right?
Are u getting decent quality on ur sig str meter? And is it stable?
Try deleting the channels, and the transponder
then manually program the transponder back in, and re-scan it?
Do ya know someone with another receiver you could borrow for a few days, just to see if it
may be the receiver. Still rock solid here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got another receiver, I thought about trying that too. Before i do do, I'll delete that tp and re-scan. Signal on all other transponders is strong and solid. The one with fx is unstable, but bounces to 80, 90 percent on quality.Gotta go for now, but i will retry later. Yes 91w, like i said, I had it before but not now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MAJORTOM; I've looked at my dish and I see some problems. First of all, remember, that my big dish was in someone else's yard until they gave it to me and I had to dig it up ...... It has some wear probably from years of getting beat by the wind. There is some play in the pivot point, and at other connections I plan to take it down, put washers in place to take up the slack. I will also start over and point the dish , check elevation etc... This week if the, weather holds. i'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Sweet...Sounds like fun. While it's down, try and get an idea if the reflector is warped. If so, that can cause all kinds of wierd illumination problems at the feed, making it difficult to focus. Like a dish with cataracts, hehe.

You can check for warped, by stretching a measuring tape across the face of the dish at multiple points around the dish, and check the diameter. Better be the same diameter no matter where ur measuring from. If not, it's warped out of shape.

Might be able to reduce some warp if there's any loose or missing hardware connecting the ribs together, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never thought of that. The dish does have a few minor holes in it, but didn't look bad. I'll check it. I also have a one piece pre formed metal dish approx 6' in diameter.I'm thinking about setting it up as a stationary dish in addition to the others. Like you talked about, I get off on alignment as i get further from the center of the arc. Just gonna start over. I have learned a few things since i set that dish up.

I have the mesh dish about 10' dia, a ku dish about 33" dia, a six foot mesh dish(not set up), and a 10'+ fiberglass dish ( not set up).
I bought the ku dish, all the others I have dug up from people's yards that no longer used them. Will the fiberglass dish work, or is it out dated?

I also just bought a 42' antenna tower for 10 bucks from a guy who was moving and didn't have a way to haul it ( he had welded the sections together). Pretty soon my place will look like a cable tv office with dishes and antennas everywhere, lol. ( got forty acres in the woods, so who cares?).

Thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 24 Posts