Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
FYI, just got back from Futureshop, they are only taking pre-orders in-store and only for phones locked to a carrier. They don't have a SKU for the unlocked version.
I thought they were all unlocked? I thought Google simply would not allow the phone to be locked.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
That was the American version. These ones will be subsidized and sold by the carriers, in this case through Futureshop mobile, but still via the carriers, where as in the US they were sold directly through BestBuy just like MP3 players or laptops.

In the US it also wasn't as big of a deal to sell it unlocked because nobody else offers T-Mobile's 3G bands. In Canada, selling it unlocked by default would allow users to easily jump from carrier to carrier at will, an idea the carriers hate.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That was the American version. These ones will be subsidized and sold by the carriers, in this case through Futureshop mobile, but still via the carriers, where as in the US they were sold directly through BestBuy just like MP3 players or laptops.

In the US it also wasn't as big of a deal to sell it unlocked because nobody else offers T-Mobile's 3G bands. In Canada, selling it unlocked by default would allow users to easily jump from carrier to carrier at will, an idea the carriers hate.
You sure about that? That's not the consensus information reported elsewhere. ie. the phone will be sold unlocked everywhere.

·
Registered
326 Posts
FYI, just got back from Futureshop, they are only taking pre-orders in-store and only for phones locked to a carrier. They don't have a SKU for the unlocked version.
Another good reason to buy it from Best Buy in the states (T-Mobile, who also sell a version without a contract), which will work with Wind and Mobilicity.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Future shop (And all 'value add') retailers earn more money for selling you a carrier phone with a contract than they do from selling you the phone directly. I'm surprised they sell any unlocked phones at all (Do they?)

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
BestBuy in the US sold the Nexus S unlocked at full price, as well as unlocked on a 2-year T-Mobile contract. Google's idea, after their web sales were generally considered a failure, was to turn try to cell phones into a gadget just like any other you'd buy at BestBuy.

Unfortunately in the US being unlocked doesn't mean much as there are only two major GSM carriers and, unless you live in Cincinnati Bell's limited coverage, your only choice for 3G is T-Mobile.

·
Registered
322 Posts
April 7-8 release date?

Rogers pricing:
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/04/06/here-are-the-upcoming-rogers-nexus-s-price-plans/

... will be releasing the Android 2.3-powered “Pure Google” device $499.99 outright and ranges all the way down to the 3-year promo price of $99.99
Telus pricing
http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/04/06/telus-releasing-nexus-s-for-549-99-on-april-7th/

... a release date of April 7th on the following price plans: MTM is $549.99; 1-year contract for $499.99; 2-year contract for $449.99 and a promo 3-year contract for $179.99.

The Nexus S comes carrier unlocked and with OS 2.3 but one of the major features is that it’ll always be one of the first Android devices to get OS updates.

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
I'm still hearing conflicting information about whether they will be locked. I'm hopeful that the confusion is just because if Futureshop receives a shipment from Rogers they are obliged to sell them with Rogers service (rather than a three year contract from Bell, for example).

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Mobilicity should also start stocking an AWS variant tomorrow for $499.99

·
Registered
322 Posts
Actually, it works - I forgot how to activate a PayAsYouGo phone, LOL! I would take it back, but I need it for an Android app I'm building under contract. I need to test the app on a real phone before I deliver it next week! Really nice phone!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Locked?

I just phoned a couple Best Buy stores in my area to see if they were carrying the Nexus S yet. They are carrying the Telus Nexus S....and according to the guys on the phone, it's locked to Telus.

They also mentioned that they are getting the Nexus S for the other carriers (Rogers, Bell), but that they will be locked to their carriers too. If so, that's disappointing.

I just want to buy the phone outright, and select my own carrier.

UPDATE - Actually phoned another Best Buy, and the guy told me that it's sold unlocked. So who knows...I hope it's unlocked. They were supposed to be receiving their Rogers/Fido phones today.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I believe the phone I got is unlocked. The BestBuy mobile employee that got mine said it was unlocked - he didn't ask me what carrier I was going to use. I don't know how to tell if it's locked (I'm using it with a Rogers SIM).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm assuming if you buy, say, the Roger's version, and you use another carrier's sim, you would need to manually configure the APN...the phone won't auto-config itself?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts