1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
My only worry with this is that battery technology is not able to keep up with the processing power of modern smartphones. Given the poor battery life of devices like the Spring EVO 4G and some other high-performance Android devices, seeing a dual-core CPU worries me.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I think battery life is the new frontier for smartphones. If someone offered me the choice between a new phone with twice the screen resolution and twice the processing power of my current Nexus One, or simply a new phone with twice the battery life right now I'd take the latter. Powerful and pretty is great, but I think there is a lot of room for innovation in battery life.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
will it run android 2.2? :)

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I agree with battery life being the next big thing to tackle.

It's easy to make faster processors, but they will just consumer more power and quite honestly who really needs a 3GHz multi-core CPU in their smart phone?

A battery that lasts a week though, that I could use.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want both. Battery life and speed.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Judging by the fact that, the all the people who say they need more CPU power on a consumer desktop, are only using it to encode hi-quality hd video to torrent style formats, I'd say that for the near future more cpu is absolutely pointless on a phone (unless you are part of the vocal minority of open platform freedom fighter geeks who just feel warm and fuzzy knowing their android phone is faster than the latest iPhone). Battery life is where the research should go.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Anything as fast as 3GS and up is just perfect for browsing and multitasking. I (and obviously the vast majority of smartphone users) don't see the need for more there. Well, there will always be people who would like to have a pocket-size multi-core CPU device that can do video encoding while surfing the web, watching live TV and making phone calls at the same time, but they are an extreme minority of the potential customers, and the current state of battery science pretty much negates the portable part of such device.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and the current state of battery science pretty much negates the portable part of such device.
Quote taken from AlienBabeltech.com,

"However it should be noted that the upcoming 45 nm dual-core Snapdragon is claimed to be coming with a 30% decrease in power needs, which would allow the 1.5 GHz SoC to run at nearly the same power draw of the current 1 GHz Snapdragon. Cortex-A9 also boasts numerous improvements in efficiency, claiming power consumption numbers nearly half that of the Cortex-A8, as well as the ability to use multiple-core technology to scale processing power in accordance with energy limitations."

Full article is pretty interesting as it is a comparison of the Samsung 1ghz Hummingbird processor vs. the Qualcomm 1ghz Snapdragon.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=17125

1 - 15 of 15 Posts