Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to read this on the Future Shop website. I just bought a 120hz which arrived today...I guess obsolesence happens fast.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/research/what-s-the-difference-between-120hz-and-240hz/rc8989.aspx?path=244e4268fc4e7171cf0fd0dc94a79bfben04

What’s the difference between 120hz and 240hz? - Future Shop

--

January, 2011

120hz and 240hz refer to the refresh rates on TVs - basically, it’s the rate at which the screen images are completely reconstructed every second. Generally, the faster the refresh rate the smoother the picture with less motion blur. When choosing between 120hz and 240hz on a television, it really depends on what you’re using it for.

The increased speed and movement of 240HZ is especially important for watching sports programs, action movies, and video games. Online games like Call of Duty benefit from 240hz because there’s a lot of movement happening and the quicker response time helps you keep up with the pace of the game. If you’re a football fan 240hz is a must for an action-packed game like the Super Bowl!

If you’re mainly using your HDTV to watch TV shows and movies where motion isn’t a big factor, like dramas and comedies, then 120hz will serve you just fine.

Kyle Mulholland
Home Theatre
Victoria, B.C.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Given that the fastest you'll see frames is 60/second, this is just so much nonsense.
120 Hz has an advantage for 24 frame/sec movies, but that's about it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Imagine that - an "advisor" working for a retailer recommending the higher cost option. Funny thing is when I was looking for an lcd tv 90% of the sales reps basically said 120 was the way to go as most viewers wouldn't see any difference between 120 and 240 sets.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do 240Hz (and 120 Hz) sets add interpolated frames between the existing ones (that come it at 24 Hz or 60 Hz)? Or do they just repeat the same frame several times?

If they are just repeating the same frame, then I would think 120 Hz should be fine. Unless there is some other benefit to a higher refresh.

EDIT: It occurs to me that with 240 Hz, you are future-proofing yourself for when sources start outputting in 48 Hz. When that happens, all the 240 Hz set owners will be able to laugh at those of us with a slower refresh.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The first thing I did when I got my new set a few weeks ago is turn off the 120 Hz. I hate the "soap opera" look that this feature produces.

Having said that, I do turn it back on when I'm watching hockey. But when you're in the middle of the game and just watching instead of looking for issues with your TV set, I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmmm, I know I bought my TV before this technology came out but I have zero issues watching sports and playing GT5 on my PS3 is great...When I bought my Sony XBR3 for nearly 4000 bucks in 2006, I said this is the last TV I would buy....I am very happy with my decision....as far as FS, I bought a PSP from them around the same time, the "Advisor" seemed upset that he could not sell me any add-ons, guess they make commission.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thats true, I have a Samsung LNS 46 inch from like 2006/7 its 60 hrtz i guess
its fine with the PS3 games, although I do see a little blur on fast action sports like hockey on fast camera pans, my other tv is a LED/DLP its a bit better with the motion like on action movies and hockey and it is 120 hrtz
maybe maybe not but I do know the refresh rate is much faster than the lcd one which is 6 milsec, the led one is like 2 mil or something.
but it def performs better with real fast action stuff

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
"Future Shop Advisor"...THAT is an oxymoron if I have ever seen one.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
Yep. They're not allowed to know what they're talking about. Also, their "advice" is driven by trying to sell you something.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Question: What's the difference between a consumer electronics salesman and a used car salesman?

Answer: The used car salesman knows when he's lying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^^^^ Baaahaahaa. So true!

They had a "Futureshop adviser" on a morning show the other day, talking up TV sales for the superbowl and he was reccommending the top dollar 3D TV, because you know, all sports broadcasting is 3D these days...

Actually he was also talking up the 240Hz refresh as ideal for action, so this wasn't the same event was it? He was out of a Hamilton store I think.

Last battle I had with them was trying to buy a laptop 6 months ago, the amount of absolute garbage, falsehoods and ignorance spewing forth from them was stunning. Some of them couldn't tell you the difference between system ram and hard drive storage. Q:"How much RAM has that one got?" A:"500 Gigs" Q:"Riiiight, gigs, giga what?" A:"Gigahertz" Q:"So it's got 500 Gigahertz of RAM?" A:"Yes!" ... ... ... 2nd attempt, different salesdroid, I stated I wanted too look at systems with nvidia or ATI graphics and he told me that intel onboard graphics were far superior and seemed to be trying to avoid showing me anything else... 3rd attempt... Q:"Hi I'm looking for a dual core laptop with 4 gigabytes of RAM and non-intel graphics" A:"Non-intel, then you definitely want to be looking at a macbook... " .... yeah, the only possible way to get real technical specs out of Future shop is to get the model number off the web site and research it online, because the employees are inhabiting a different reality. I went to Best Buy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Best Buy... can't be much better.

I remember when I had to "train" 3 Best Buy employees, including some other rep on their phone system, how the new SlingCatcher was to work in conjunction with the SlingPlayer over the home network back when that was first released a few years ago. Granted, it was just released that week, but the fact that it was there sitting on their shelf ready for sale and no one knew how it worked was very embarassing. My question was about HD streaming quality over the SlingCatcher, but no one I talked to there even knew what the SlingCatcher was all about and how it was to communicate wirelessly with the router and how it was to connect to the TV to obtain full HD quality.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Q:"How much RAM has that one got?" A:"500 Gigs"
Make sure he writes that on the receipt. Then after you buy it, open it up and ensure that what you paid for is there. If it isn't, insist that they provide what is on the receipt.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Best Buy owns FS. I never talk to a sales person in those stores, other than to try and get the price down. Tech morons.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Do 240Hz (and 120 Hz) sets add interpolated frames between the existing ones (that come it at 24 Hz or 60 Hz)? Or do they just repeat the same frame several times?
Most sets interpolate it. At 120Hz they add a frame in between the two images (averaging).

As Fulvio rightly points out, it gives a sort of effect that most people don't like. Makes it look more realistic like footage shot with a hom camcorder for example. Very sharp. Sort of like a soap opera as Fulvio says.

Most people hate that surreal look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fast action sports versus a sitcom is BS. If the camera pans fast on a person in a sitcom, my Motion Pro Plus 4 on my Panny LED is likely going to have after effects.

As for turning off 120hz, that's not accurate is it? Turning off smooth motion yes. But one can't turn off 120hz.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Being a non-TV-techie, it took me three months to figure out I should turn OFF smooth motion when playing movies from my HTPC to my Samsung 650.

Smooth motion made the movie frame skip every 5 seconds or so. It was very frustrating and noticeable.

But now I know why the image looks more surreal (120hz) compared to my previous plasma display. Interesting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts