Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the full cable package with Shaw, including a DVR, but switched last month with their new promotion. I was told, I would keep all of the channels I had, but would save $, so I made the switch to their new 3 year plan.

We ended up losing most of our channels, and upon calling Shaw, they said I shouldn't have been told I would keep all the channels, but instead, they told me I had to buy all their add-on packs to get the channels I had lost.

Last night, I watched tv downstairs for the first time in months, and discovered that I have the full channel lineup on that tv! I am afraid to call Shaw, in case they delete my extra channels on the 2nd tv.

So basically...am I missing channels on the main tv because it is hooked up to the DVR? The tv downstairs is just hooked up to a basic cable line...no DVR.

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The digital channels received by your DVR are encoded so that you receive what you're (supposedly) paying for. The encoding is handled at the head end and is therefore done in minutes or seconds. The analogue channels can only be filtered out by a filter/block on the line, which needs to be added by a technician at your home. Sometimes they don't get around to that for a while hoping you'll miss the channels and go back to subscribing to the additional channels. Any NTSC tuner will pick them up until the filter/block is in place (probably including your main TV if it has an NTSC tuner)

Your OP is not very clear as to what package you're actually paying for.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Since there are several customers signing up to the Shaw Plan Personalizer we are a little behind in getting out to customers to trap the channels out. You will be on a list to have these removed when the techs have time to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts