Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother was talking to some guys who were staying at the Hotel she works at and they told her that they were in town to lay Copper wiring for the new FibreOp (Bell/Aliant FTTH in the maritimes) and I'm curious why they are using copper and not Fiber? I though Fiber To The Home was supposed to be... Fiber?

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
It sounds like there was a misunderstanding somewhere. If they are installing FTTH then it would be fibre all the way. I don't know if Aliant is still installing FTTN (fibre to the node), but that still would be installing fibre to connect to the existing copper wire.

The only situations where I can see them installing copper would be to replace existing copper that has deteriorated or a new subdivision that would be FTTN.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It might be just an older term used by the crews stringing the fibre. Much the same as the 'ironworkers' erect steel, not iron.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
They could be talking about "Fibe" which has nothing to do with fibre to the home. It's just DSL2+ (copper), despite what bell says in commercials.

If they were indeed laying copper for the FibreOp venture, it wouldn't surprise me.
I mean, they're allowed to run commercials calling copper DSL "fibre optic internet", so why would this be any different?

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
@recneps77, if you read post 1, you'll see we are talking about Aliant FibreOp, which is fibre to the home.

Bell "Fibe" in Ontario and Quebec is FTTN (Fibre to the node), with the "last mile" being copper. Some areas like Quebec City are being converted to Fibre to the home.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Sorry, I missed the Aliant part

I only pop in for a minute or two here and there.
Should probably take a couple seconds to read more carefully ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts