Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no experience with FTA but I have been reading around forums and websites to try to learn. Here is my situation:

- Idea is to install FTA Satellite at the cottage to be used primarily between May and October. I would bring home the receiver in the off-season to hook up to another dish in Toronto that I could install.
- Ku band desired (not willing to install a six foot dish for C band)
- I could install up to a 120cm dish
- Motorized

Desired receiver characteristics
- ATSC (OTA HDTV antenna) capable
- Cottage is SD (CRT TV), Home is LCD HDTV so should be both HD & SD capable
- A plug for attaching a hard disk drive would be good. Built-in PVR not needed.
- Don't want to overpay but I don't want a clone.

LNB
- I don't even really understand what it is but I know I don't want a cloned one.
- I want it to be capable of vertical and circular formats so all formats can work

I want to be able to get all the FTA English channels I'm entitled to get legally.

I already get 30+ channels with my OTA antenna in Toronto and I am satisfied with my channel selection. The cottage is a different story. OTA is a work in progress there. Likely the only good channels at the cottage will be CBC, CTV, TVOntario, and maybe Global if I can pull in channel RF6.

The FTA project at the cottage would be a success if I could add PBS to the lineup at the cottage. Any other English channels would be a bonus. Searching for other stuff would be a fun hobby activity.

If the above specs for the FTA receiver are too costly, then I would be interested in a lower-end SD model as long as it could downconvert HD FTA content.

Any recommendations?
LNB
Receiver
Motor

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
this one is easy!

lnb- qph-031 (2 circular outputs 2 linear outputs) go with the cheita heavy duty.
switch- diseqc (to allow both c/l....$5)
motor-sg2100
receiver- i'd say the nfusion hd, ota compatible as well as 8psk and sd....and should be plenty of them cheap on ebay... and they are a good stb...i had 2 at 1 time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks for the quick service!!!

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
this one is easy!

lnb- qph-031 (2 circular outputs 2 linear outputs) go with the cheita heavy duty.
switch- diseqc (to allow both c/l....$5)
motor-sg2100
receiver- i'd say the nfusion hd, ota compatible as well as 8psk and sd....and should be plenty of them cheap on ebay... and they are a good stb...i had 2 at 1 time.
nfusion hd is a HORRIBLE receiver as the entire nfusion brand was only created for satellite piracy. As nfusion is now out of business after being raided by the authorities, you will only find used units or leftover dealer stock in the marketplace with NO manufacturers warranty. It is nothing more than an obsolete hacker box with no blind scan. The 8psk you mentioned is useless to receive FTA channels as it is not the DVB-S2 variant.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
I have no experience with FTA but I have been reading around forums and websites to try to learn. Here is my situation:

- Idea is to install FTA Satellite at the cottage to be used primarily between May and October. I would bring home the receiver in the off-season to hook up to another dish in Toronto that I could install.
- Ku band desired (not willing to install a six foot dish for C band)
- I could install up to a 120cm dish
- Motorized

Desired receiver characteristics
- ATSC (OTA HDTV antenna) capable
- Cottage is SD (CRT TV), Home is LCD HDTV so should be both HD & SD capable
- A plug for attaching a hard disk drive would be good. Built-in PVR not needed.
- Don't want to overpay but I don't want a clone.

LNB
- I don't even really understand what it is but I know I don't want a cloned one.
- I want it to be capable of vertical and circular formats so all formats can work

I want to be able to get all the FTA English channels I'm entitled to get legally.

I already get 30+ channels with my OTA antenna in Toronto and I am satisfied with my channel selection. The cottage is a different story. OTA is a work in progress there. Likely the only good channels at the cottage will be CBC, CTV, TVOntario, and maybe Global if I can pull in channel RF6.

The FTA project at the cottage would be a success if I could add PBS to the lineup at the cottage. Any other English channels would be a bonus. Searching for other stuff would be a fun hobby activity.

If the above specs for the FTA receiver are too costly, then I would be interested in a lower-end SD model as long as it could downconvert HD FTA content.

Any recommendations?
LNB
Receiver
Motor

Thanks!
Since half of the PBS FTA channels are either broadcast in HD and/or DVB-S2, you really need an HD receiver that supports DVB-S2 8PSK. In the current North American market, this includes the following receivers:

AzBox Elite HD
AzBox Ultra
AzBox Premium
AzBox Premium +
Openbox S9
Pansat TC-1000HD (with DVB-S2 addon module)
Pansat 9200HD (with DVB-S2 addon module)
Diamond 9000HD (discontinued)
Coolsat 8000HD (discontinued, company out of business)
Coolsat 8100HD (discontinued, company out of business)

All of these except the AzBox Ultra, AzBox Premium+ and Openbox S9 have an ATSC tuner built-in. The AzBox Elite and Premium support ATSC with a $40 add-on tuner module.

As for an LNBF, you don't really need to spend more money on an Invacom QPH-031 to get circular polarisation as there are no full time FTA channels on circular Ku-Band. You are better off spending that money on a better receiver. Remember that no SD FTA receiver is able to tune down-converted HD FTA broadcasts so you need to make sure you don't go cheap on the receiver. HD FTA receivers can down-convert HD channels to SD however so you would still be able to receive down-converted HD channels on your cottage receiver.

To sum it up, the following meets your requirements:

Receiver (one of the following):
AzBox Elite HD (with ATSC module)
AzBox Premium HD (with ATSC module)
Pansat TC-1000HD (with DVB-S2 addon module)
Pansat 9200HD (with DVB-S2 addon module)
Diamond 9000HD (discontinued)
Coolsat 8000HD (discontinued, company out of business)
Coolsat 8100HD (discontinued, company out of business)

LNBF: Any linear Ku Band LNBF
Switch: No switch required as we are only receiving linear Ku Band
Dish: 90 cm (36 inch) or larger recommended to get good DVB-S2 reception
Motor: SG2100 or SG6000 if you are in a windy area.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dr. Sat,

It's great to have you as a resource in this thread!

It seems that things change so qickly in the FTA world that you never know how current the information is that you are reading.

Part of the fun of having FTA at the cottage would be having the ability to search around for things (I also enjoy playing with a short-wave radio at the cottage even though I rarely find compelling content to listen to -- it's the thrill of the search).

When I said the FTA experiment would be a success if we could secure PBS, I should have also added that I would enjoy searching for all kinds of random interesting content. So, when you mention that I don't need to spend the extra money on getting circular polarization because there are few full-time stations on circular, I wonder what content can be found on the circular polarization area? Sports events? News events? Those might be fun to search for on a cold or rainy day. So given that I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, might you recommend going for the circular polarization after all?

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
The only Ku band satellites using circular polarization are the ones used by Dish Network (i.e. Echostar) and Bell TV (i.e. Nimiq) which currently contain no FTA channels. There used to be a few full time unencrypted channels on one of the Echostar satellites (i.e. NASA, ION and some religious channel). However, these have been encrypted for over a year now so the only thing left that is unencrypted on these satellites are promotional channels for these two providers.

From time to time on the Echostar satellites, some channels do get unencrypted temporarily. However, this only lasts for a few days so it's generally not worth the effort for most people. There are no "wild feeds" on circular (i.e. sports & news backhauls), only channels that temporarily get unencrypted for one reason or another by Dish Network. I have never heard anything being unencrypted on Bell TV other than their demo channels.

With this being said, the Invacom QPH-031 LNBF is certainly a very good unit. Even with a 0.3 dB NF, it outperforms some lower noise LNBF's due to higher LO stability and a more efficient LNBF design.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That clarifies things.

So for a cottage install, for beginner pure FTA ku-band, all I need is a linear polarization and an hd-capable receiver, and the motor, and the dish, and probably a satellite finder tool.

Question -- Are these receivers you recommended also able to receive C band in case I ever got a bigger dish?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Many folks dont like the work involved in fta. Before you spend a bundle on new equipment, you might wan't to buy a used, "cheap" receiver. I bought a sonicview 360 elite for next to nothing on craigslist. No it doesn't have HD or mpeg4, but it was a good learning tool. I do have an openbox now, HD mpeg4, etc etc.

Just saying, if you're not used to the work associated with fta, you might not like it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
sorry for reffering him to nfusion, i didn't realize this forum was sponcered by a dealer. i'll try to throw you a bone with any future references.
but the plain and simple truth is all those brands of fta stb's HAVE been used for piracy.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
simple truth is all those fta stb's HAVE been used for piracy
I really object to sweeping statements like this.

I have a Sonicview 8000, it has NEVER been used for Piracy, it was bout for FTA and is used for FTA, period.

·
Registered
292 Posts
pinza my statement wasn't geared toward every single stb just like dr.sat i was addressing brands in general. sorry for the confusion...i have a few in the closet i've never loaded 3rd party software into as well.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a Sonicview 8000, it has NEVER been used for Piracy, it was bout for FTA and is used for FTA, period.
Considering how very few decent English channels are available via FTA and almost all the FTA hardware retailers (and there were plenty) here in the GTA dried up once it became unhackable I'd say "simple truth is the minority of those FTA stb's HAVE been used for non hacked viewing"

If it was me I'd build an OTA DVR for home, record everything to keep me entertained at the cottage (aren't cottages for card playing and fishing?)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I am not interested in watching recordings at a Cottage that I do not have, I got the Sonicview for FTA and that is what it is used for.

I think it is a great little box, as I can also feed it with OTA and PVR everything on an EHD.

·
Banned
166 Posts
I like the C band over the Ku band because of all the stations. To bad C band dishes are so hard to find and Ku band dishes are so easy to find.

Also what can I do with an old Bell dish? I think it's 18 inch. That would be for the Ku band right?

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Considering how very few decent English channels are available via FTA and almost all the FTA hardware retailers (and there were plenty) here in the GTA dried up once it became unhackable I'd say "simple truth is the minority of those FTA stb's HAVE been used for non hacked viewing"
There are over 200 English channels available with a C/Ku band 1.8 meter or larger dish and over 80 English channels available on a 33 inch or larger Ku band dish system. Out of these, between 25 to 50% could be considered decent depending on your viewing preferences. Available channels are mainly US specialty and internationals.

By itself, a FTA system is not a complete television source for most people as it offers very little Canadian channels. This is why we always recommend people to complement their FTA system with an OTA antenna to receive their local channels. Both systems complement themselves rather nicely in order to receive a good selection of channels with no monthly fees.

As far as for the satellite piracy dealers closing shop, we are glad this is happening as they have significantly harmed the reputation of FTA as many people were led to believe that FTA is satellite piracy. The Bell TV signal security department along with their team of lawyers are actively pursuing and taking legal action against any storefront who was/is engaged in selling satellite piracy devices. Many piracy dealers were closed because of these efforts.

Dr. Sat

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
I like the C band over the Ku band because of all the stations. To bad C band dishes are so hard to find and Ku band dishes are so easy to find.

Also what can I do with an old Bell dish? I think it's 18 inch. That would be for the Ku band right?
An 18 inch dish is too small to receive any FTA channels as they use satellites which are not as powerful as the ones used by the Canadian based satellite subscription providers. You will need at least a 30 inch dish or larger in order to receive Ku band channels an at least a 48 inch or larger (preferably at least 59 inches) in order to receive C band channels as well

Any good FTA dealer who is not involved in satellite piracy will have C-band dishes in stock.

Dr. Sat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts