Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale, one 1.78:1 aspect ratio 80" diagonal Carada Criterion screen with Brilliant White screen surface, mounting hardware, and the original white gloves. $300 or best offer.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fed up! Downsizing my HT!

I've made a decision. After fifteen years of multi-channel sound and six years with a front projection system, I'm ready to ditch all of it.

I've already listed my front projection screen in the "For Sale" subforum, and will be adding a few more components in the list including the projector, the ATSC set-top box, and possibly the entire speaker set-up if I can get a decent price for it. I'll even be selling a lot of the cables I've accumulated over the years.

Just to give you an idea of what's involved, here are a couple of pictures of the set-up.

The main reason for selling so many key components and downsizing to a two channel configuration is that the multi-channel home theatre experience I've had for so many years is simply not enjoyable anymore. If anything, in recent years, it feels as if the entire entertainment industry has become more noise than substance.

Another reason for the downsize is that with the huge drop in the pricing of flat panel televisions these last couple of years, the cost benefits of front projection systems are pretty much gone. You can now find a decent 50" flat panel for just over a grand, with none of the bulb flicker, warm-up times, nighttime limitation (in my case) and screen alignment issues you often get with a projector.

The final reason for the downsize is that I'm moving into a much smaller -- and cheaper -- apartment. Not only do I not have room for all of this crap, I don't even want to try and make room for all of this crap! I just want a flat panel screen and a couple of speakers! No multi-channel surround! Just two track stereo on a pair of first generation Paradigm Cinema 70 speakers!

Fed up! Bleah! Get out of my life! No more!

Going through what I feel is a reversal of a typical mid-life crisis, has anyone else just got fed up with a hobby that they were ready to chuck most of it out the door?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I made the decision to not go front projector for a lot of the reasons you list.

Our 5.1 channels system is also relatively modest and it works quite well. If I had bigger speakers we'd need a bigger house.

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Going through what I feel is a reversal of a typical mid-life crisis, has anyone else just got fed up with a hobby that they were ready to chuck most of it out the door?
My condolences on your angst! ;)

I've spent a few years assembling and upgrading my home theater / home entertainment system, and it is now at a point where I'm very satisfied with it. It's great for movies and great for music! :cool:

Depending on where my wife and I move to upon retirement, I expect that I may downgrade to a more modest set-up, but retirement is a dozen or so years away and, meanwhile, I'm having a blast with my set-up. :D

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may have had a bit of a head start over many of you. My passion for home theater started during the golden years of the Laserdisc era, which was used as a benchmark for the upcoming DVD format. Back then, I didn't think twice about paying fifty to a hundred bucks for a single title! :)

Despite the analog video format being miles behind the DVD format, it did have a few benefits like enjoying rare titles such as "Black Like Me" (available on DVD for $399 USD), a restored roadshow version of "The Alamo" (not available on DVD because the film elements were neglected yet again), an almost-roadshow-version of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (also not available on DVD), and a +$200 deluxe edition box set of "Toy Story" which features the original version of the short film "Knick Knack" before the studio altered the huge knockers from the female figurines! :p

I even have the original Star Wars Trilogy before Lucas butchered it beyond recognition in his attempt to "revitalize" it.

(Han Solo not only shot first, Greedo never had the chance to fire back!)

But ever since the introduction of DVDs, it just hasn't been the same. The passion has been dwindling ever since. In fact, my cinematic preference is now old movies with mono soundtracks! Why the heck do I need a room full of speakers for something that's coming out of only one of them?

My hobby has recently revealed itself to be a form of madness. It's time to put a strait jacket on the lot and have it committed. :)

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
hey francois ..

been toying with this myself. i had some rega gear here recently (apollo CD player .. with Mira3 integrated) with Focal-JM labs speakers (stand mount). beautiful sounding setup - music and movies.

i watched gladiator (and other movies) several times. just ran the blu-ray direct into LCD (which was better VQ - IMO) outstanding soundtrack, vocal .. action reproduction. excellent resolution ..+ very smooth, calming .. (which i think you may need @ this time ..ha !)

take advantage of rega's "cash for clunkers" promotion (if you want) ..bring in any (yes ANY) piece of crap CD or CD/DVD player. I brought in some old DVD player my ex bought me years ago .. haha !! planked it down on a rega apollo. very satisfying + saved $ 400

1 - 7 of 7 Posts