Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am intensively looking into the world of VoIP. I do understand the fundamental principles and technology, the concepts of hosted PBX/VoIP, premises VoIP, SIP trunks. I want to test-drive VoIP at home. I'm looking for a how-to, or a guide, so that I can roll it out step-by-step: hardware and software needed; connectivity guide, and the like.

I did get an account with voip.ms which I will use when I'm ready. No doubt there is good information in the voip.ms thread here, but it contains 1500 replies...a bit too much to read through. :eek:

If someone would kindly point me in the right direction with advice and/or other links I would be grateful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just started getting into this so I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you.

First, I would recommend getting a PAP2T (~$50). Much better than any of the softphones I've tried.

Second, voip.ms is a very good start. They have directions specific to the Linksys PAP2T that you just cut from their site and paste into the PAP2T settings.

Third, look for a user named Mango here and click on the link in his signature. It makes configuring your PAP2T a REAL breeze. I mean it is brilliant. (THANK YOU Mango!!)

Forth, get yourself a router that can do QoS. In my case, this seems to have made all the difference in the world. I brought an older router out of retirement for this very purpose.

Fifth, find a willing victim/candidate that doesn't mind taking a bunch of test phone calls so you can make sure you have everything working perfectly.

Thanks it! Have fun... I have so far.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
notsure, thank you! Very helpful.

My old Linksys WRT54GX4 has QoS. I looked at Mango's excellent config doc for the PAP2T.

Guess I should dive in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
re VoIP newbies to savvie

I'm a newbie as well, but regarding hardware, the general consensus is to use an IP phone rather than a patp2T if call quality is important to you. If you can get by with a basic model, it will also be much easier to set up; many features = more complicated setup.

I have just bought an Aastra IP phone myself and the call quality is far superior to the expensive nortel phones on a bell line we are replacing :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a newbie too. :) I registered with voip.ms in this month and have been studying anything about voip in the past weeks. And I followed Mango's configuration guide too! I tried to read that 1500+ replies thread but I only finished about 20 pages. LOL I am happy to find this forum so I just registered to discuss questions related to voip here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im also a newbie trying to decide which ATA to get.

I want to use voip.ms or free-phone-line or both I dont know yet.

If I want to use both I think I read that I need to get SPA3102, but then call quality is supposed to be average with this one.

Or else should I get SPA2102, PAP2T or try to get an OBI110 on ebay.

I know that the best thing is to get IP phone, but I dont want to spend 500$ on this and I want to have Cordless phone as it is for my home.
Is it possible to have something inexpensive with cordless phone ???

·
Registered
877 Posts
The SPA-3102 has an FXO port which allows you to connect it to a POTS line. In theory this is a good thing, however as you already discovered the FXO port's audio quality is less than stellar.

The difference between the SPA-2102 and the PAP2T is that the SPA-2102 has a built-in router and supports T.38. If you already have a router that supports QoS and don't need to use a fax machine, you can save a few bucks and go for the PAP2T.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
^^^^
Why should the FXO port have worse quality than the FXS? The FXO port should be simpler, as it doesn't have to supply battery, ringing or touch tone detection, but the audio portion should be the same as the FXS.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know that the best thing is to get IP phone, but I dont want to spend 500$ on this and I want to have Cordless phone as it is for my home.
Is it possible to have something inexpensive with cordless phone ???
Pansonic KX-TGP550 is a corded/cordless SIP phone combo which can be expanded to 6 cordless handsets. It can handle 8 DIDS and is about $300ish to start.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
huge number of reports that say there's unsolvable echo
According to the article, it happens when a call is being passed between the FXS & FXO ports, but didn't mention IP to either side. I have one of those here, which I plan to set up, when I get time, so that my Android phone can be used as a wireless extension of my home phone. This will involve using the FXO port only, so I will likely not experience that problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you guys think of the CISCO Small Business Pro SRP521W ?

I know it's a bit overkill, but I only have an old apple airport extreme without any QOS on it, so buying SPA-2102 + Router with tomato or dd-wrt for QOS = same price as the SRP521W.

Will it works with voip.ms ??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts