Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I Made The Switch

After 20 years with Rogers, I've had it with them. I'm so glad to see a reasonable alternative to both Rogers and Bell. When I called Rogers to cancel my internet service, a person at Customer Retention offered to lower my monthly bill by 20% for the Extreme service and to waive the $7/month modem rental fee for 12 months. Gee, thanks but no thanks. Even with the discount, Rogers would charge me more for less service (100GB cap vs 300GB cap), mess me up through traffic shaping, and keep gouging me for modem rental beyond the first year. Over the past 5 years, the $250+ that I paid for renting my crummy Docsis 2 modem could have been bought many times over. And now they want it back since it was "rented." Adios, Rogers, and good riddance. Hello, Teksavvy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Made the swap in Scarborough this week

Well made the switch this week from rogers to teksavvy after the kids kept hitting the bandwidth cap. By the second month of exceeding the cap, I was done.

Made the switch from Rogers High Speed Express to Teksavvy Express Cable, both packages are listed with the same speed specs. Down 'up to 12Mbps', and Up 'up to 512k'. The major difference being the cap, 60Gb versus 300Gb.

Speed test before

Speed test after

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently on an old plan with Bell.

I pay $65 and it's slow but I've got NO CAP and it's as reliable as the sunset. In 12+ yrs it's gone down perhaps twice.

Anyway I've read awful things about the Teksavy and Bell relationship so would it be better to switch over to Rogers first for a while? Will that make it so that when I get Teksavy, the internet I get will be indirectly from Rogers instead of Bell? I'm also in Scarborough.

Sorry, I'm new and have been trying to educate myself and I may not know even know what I'm asking.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just wondering if anyone can comment on the experience of moving from Rogers to TekSavvy. Was there a lot of down time? If you bought the modem from Rogers can you reuse it with TekSavvy? Thanks,

·
Registered
214 Posts
I currently have both TV and Internet with Rogers.

If I cancel just the Internet from Rogers and go with TekSavvy, how does that affect my cable TV with Rogers ?

Is it (or will it) be a Rogers technician that gets sent to my home if I ever need a repair or otherwise - since it is a Rogers cable that is coming in for the TV part now ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
^^^^
It doesn't affect your cable TV in any way. And Teksavvy, like other independent cable ISPs, uses Rogers' infrastructure. It's Rogers technicians (or contractors) that show up whether it's for TV or Internet (I'm almost 100% sure Teksavvy don't have their own technicians, based on what I've read in the Teksavvy forum over at Dslreports). From what I gather, that's actually a problem when there's a need for a technician to come and fix a problem, since Teksavvy have to go through Rogers, and of course Rogers are not in any rush to help the competition. Stories vary though - ranging from "it's paradise" to "it's hell".

·
Registered
214 Posts
What is Teksavvy's stance on users who run torrents - and get that "email" from the USA citing you for copywright infringement ?

With Rogers - they get that email regarding copywright infringement, then they forward it to you, adding their own text which reiterates their "acceptable use policy" - and tell you that this could be grounds for cancelling your service if you do not stop.

Have any of you experienced this situation with Teksavvy - and what happened ?

(I should point out that I have received about 3 emails over the last 2 years from Rogers about this sort of thing - and there has not been any consequence other than the threatening email).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rogers it out of touch with Modern Society

due to web tv streaming in HD (love my Roku!!) my internet usage jumped from typical 10 gig a month to 100 gig. yikes! i was way over my 60gig limit for rogers so i called them. said their competitors (teksavvy) are offering same internet speed for less $ and with 300 gig limit. roger's 60gig is not realistic for modern age. they had some song and dance where i could get a bit of an increase but only for a month, or forever but for $99/month. lol. i canceled my service on the spot. i made mention of the fact that i also recently canceled wireless, home phone, digital cable and now internet after 10 years of customer loyalty because rogers is just not interested in being competitive. their sales agent said they have the best customer service, best "canadian" customer service. .. which perhaps they do.. but i never use that service so it is not value added for me. sad really. they just refuse to compete.

went to tek savvy's website. ordered the modem, ordered 18 meg package (same as what i had with rogers). never heard from tek savvy at all. got a package in the mail one day and it was the new modem. all i know is that on my connection day, suddenly my IP address changed and never even noticed if there was any outage. it just worked. does tek savvy have good customer service? i have no idea, i never spoke to anyone. so all's well.

did a speed test with tek savvy and it reads D/L at 24 megs. huh... i purchased only 18 meg package :D

so far so good very glad to move to tek savvy,
Knucklez

61 - 69 of 69 Posts