Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm at Richmond/Spadina downtown Toronto.

I've contacted Teksavvy and they got me to do a tracert thing on google.ca and haven't gotten back to me since.

Not sure what's up at all but I've gotta figure this out, I run an online business from home so this is a real pain.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
When switching over from Rogers to Teksavvy how long will you be without internet? I have a Motorola cable modem that I have purchsed (I am pretty sure that I bought it years ago from Rogers) that also works with Teksavvy. Is it just a case of the cutover being done at the Rogers office and I will be up on Teksavvy without really having to do anything at my end?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got a cancel date from Rogers and TekSavvy started the following day.

I was away when the switchover happened, but by the time I checked it on noon of the "following day" I was up & running. Rogers had advised their service wouldn't be cut until midnight of the cancel day, but I can't vouch for that.

Just as a final act of incompentance, Rogers sent out a tech to my house on "the following day" - which they told me they told me they DEFINATELY would *not* do. Being wary of the great Satan, I'd already warned the kids to tell the tech not to disconnect the cable. He didn't, and therefore my switchover was quick.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Very interesting posts. It would seem the majority of people who have been switching are in Toronto area though. Does anybody in Ottawa have comments on how the service is here? Same speeds, more than double the usage cap, $15 cheaper, all very temping. Out of curiosity, I wonder if the Retentions Center at Rogers would offer any deals to existing customers to compete with these guys?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I tried that b4 switching. Rogers retentions offered the current "new subscriber" deals (which included a contract for min 1 yr). In the long run it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Very interesting posts. It would seem the majority of people who have been switching are in Toronto area though. Does anybody in Ottawa have comments on how the service is here? Same speeds, more than double the usage cap, $15 cheaper, all very temping. Out of curiosity, I wonder if the Retentions Center at Rogers would offer any deals to existing customers to compete with these guys?
It's not available yet in Ottawa. And whenver it is, be careful. Teksavvy has been having a very hard time with Rogers and the installation. Lots of missed appointments or botched installations.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
my move order went well! although no one knocked on my door. the guy just hooked it up.

Annoying as i wanted to rewire the box so i could add hdtv to multiple rooms.

but speeds are amazing at my new house so no issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
so do i have to cancel Rogers first, then order Tek, or can i just call Tek and let them handle all the drudgery?

With the wife and kids now addicted to Netflix, even the 125 GB cap isn't going to be enough for this household, so i am being urged to switch to TS for the unlimited bandwidth..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just remember, TS's unlimited cap is only available on their Extreme Pro plan (IE: $54.95 / mnth) cable plan. All other plans are capped at 200Gb.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
MLPP is not available i think.

but honestly i have no issues with throttling. ive never been throttled downloading anything with teksavvy that i ahve noticed. i get a good solid 1000 kb's downlaod speeds

·
Registered
569 Posts
On another forum , the word is that TSI cable is not suffering the same DPI woes as Robbers.

BTW, MLPP only applies to DSL service.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
...the word is that TSI cable is not suffering the same DPI woes as
Robbers.
I would speculate that if Rogers starts suffering from attrition in subscribers to TSI in any significant amount, that will change quickly.

TSI cable was supposed to become available in Markham ~ September/October. Still not available here yet however:

We are sorry but cable internet is not currently available for the Postal Code (xxxxxx) you specfied.
Please try again later.
:(

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Does anyone know:

Does TS charge an additional fee if you don't subscribe to cable television?
Can you get the SB6120 modem if you just want the Express $36,95 a month option?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sorry I meant do they charge an extra fee for installation? (as in something on top of their $45 activation fee)

Rogers wants to charge me $50 extra (on top of all the other fees) because my cable is "cold".

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have no Cable TV and use OTA and only the standard activation fee was charged. nothing extra beyond whats listed. (never had cable at ethier places i lived)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks Redzone, that's what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
the people on there customer service group are preety good im sure they can confirm it. the start up costs are higher then most places as you cant rent a modem but it far outweighs giving rogers the money directly!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts