Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up one of those Rogers modem kits in a FutureShop a couple years ago. Was using it with Rogers Extreme package and getting 10Mb before I switched to Teksavvy.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
TekSavvy on cable a disaster

I am sorry to report that, so far, TekSavvy on cable is a disaster. Sure you save some cash but performance is terrible, 9.9 Mbps down happens ONLY in the morning, for the rest of the day the speed is horrible!! Here is a sampling of the speeds, spread out over two posts due to forum limits;

My Rogers express was never like this.

10:08PM

12:39AM

8:59AM

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
1:21PM

3:18PM

4:15PM

So far I've called TekSavvy teck support once & they told me 10 down was a MAX, that if my neighbours were on the net it would affect my speed, and that I should keep trying to get a better picture of what my speed is. I will contact them again & post results here - thinking I'll use the web-based support so I can portray the interaction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please keep posting - I ordered the same from Teksavvy just yesterday and am now having second thoughts. I need a reliable service for work. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
So far I've called TekSavvy teck support once & they told me 10 down was a MAX, that if my neighbours were on the net it would affect my speed, and that I should keep trying to get a better picture of what my speed is.
But this is true for Rogers internet as well, since it's a cable service. However, they have constant speed during the day.

I was thinking about moving to Teksavvy, but now I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
bybye_cable,

Are you using a wireless connection in your home? Just wondering if the lag might be elsewhere in the link.

I'm dumbfounded by the apparent significant drop in your speed. However to be certain, you would have to check, and have a neighbour who is on Rogers check their speed at the exact same time as you - just to make sure it isn't a neighbourhood issue.

What I find ironic is that the faster speeds seem to come when you are connected to a Toronto server. I'm in Markham, and Teksavvy does not yet offer service to my postal code, yet you seem to be connected to a Teksavvy server in Markham half the time.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Are torrents throttled with Teksavvy via cable? I know that Teksavvy has a DSL service where you bind two DSL lines that doubles your speed which also thwarts throttling (edit - this is MLPPP) - do you get any similar advantages with cable?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Two techs responded, one wanted to ensure I wasn't wireless, the other said this;

Hi,

We're definitely aware of the issue and are installing more capacity. The last estimate when I spoke to our network guys was about a week or less, so it should be installed very shortly.

Regards,

Jason
--
TSI Jason - TekSavvy Solutions, Inc.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
bybye_cable,

Are you using a wireless connection in your home? Just wondering if the lag might be elsewhere in the link.

What I find ironic is that the faster speeds seem to come when you are connected to a Toronto server. I'm in Markham, and Teksavvy does not yet offer service to my postal code, yet you seem to be connected to a Teksavvy server in Markham half the time.
That Marham server has an occasional glitch messes up the upload speed, when that happens I go to the Toronto server. There's no difference in the download speeds (for me) between those two when run in succession.

I do have wireless, but when testing I am cabled to the router, and, I ensure there are no other wireless connections to the router. I'm certain this is a TekSavvy issue - the difference was just so pronounced.

However, they say they'll fix it - let's see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wrote to Teksavvy on Wednesday to ask them about this before I confirmed my order, and wow what a mess. I keep getting emails from them, none of them answering the question and all of them indicative of mass confusion on their end. I've cancelled the order. I'm sure there are many happy customers but I just can't afford to take the risk.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wrote to Teksavvy on Wednesday to ask them about this before I confirmed my order, and wow what a mess. I keep getting emails from them, none of them answering the question and all of them indicative of mass confusion on their end. I've cancelled the order. I'm sure there are many happy customers but I just can't afford to take the risk.
A poster on another forum reports noted that he had 9.8 down SOLID up until the beginning of Aug.

So, I suspect this is just a temporary situation & TSI (TekSavvy) will resolve it. The TSI users tend to be pretty well-informed and I don't think this would be tolerated for long. Basically they HAVE to fix it. I think they will (will advise here).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Are torrents throttled with Teksavvy via cable? I know that Teksavvy has a DSL service where you bind two DSL lines that doubles your speed which also thwarts throttling (edit - this is MLPPP) - do you get any similar advantages with cable?
I will let u know once Formula One starts back up in Sept, nothing I want to download at the moment :)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I did some investigation on TSI over the weekend. From what I read, it appears that a lot of the issues are from Rogers end: rogers technicians not realizing that they even sell 3rd party etc. It also seems a lot of the issues revolves around TSI cable users in Scarborough. It appears that TSI is not capable of delivering to the number of new subs wanting this service. Growing pains perhaps.

I think I will wait a while for TSI and rogers to get their acts together. Might take a while. But rogers has screwed with me too many times for me to tolerate them much longer.

cheers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, part of the deal with going with TekSavvy is that they manage the relationship with Rogers.

For example, I have no wish go back to explaining to a moron at Rogers that failed DNS lookups for perfectly valid sites are to redirecting me to their stinking search portal. "Duh, are you sure www.oracle.com is a valid website?" :confused:

Working with Rogers is a tough job but TekSavvy took it on so they need to do it - and it appears they are *not* doing a good job of it right now. No official communication about the problem, just a rumor of "should be fixed this week" at the moment.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's fixed - been fast all week. It's now Saturday night (prime time) and speeds remain strong;

A couple of people I work with are switching now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently noticed my Teksavvy speeds being terribly slow and did the Speedtest.net test and came up with 2 mb/s down, 0.23 mb/s up!

I'm downtown Toronto (Richmond/Spadina area).

It was OK up until a week and a half ago or so and has been horrendous ever since.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I quite sure they're not. I'm torentting @ about 980 kB/s down at the moment and I'll bet it would be faster if I weren't connected wirelessly. The TekSavvy user base is quite technical and the word is that cable torrents are not throttled.

I recently noticed my Teksavvy speeds being terribly slow and did the Speedtest.net test and came up with 2 mb/s down, 0.23 mb/s up!

I'm downtown Toronto (Richmond/Spadina area).

It was OK up until a week and a half ago or so and has been horrendous ever since.
You don't mention if your cable or dsl. In any event - I don't want people to take the wrong impression away from this thread. My problems are resolved, I get 9.98 down ALL THE TIME (at least in the past couple of weeks) and my bill including tax is 41.75/month. I think this is the best deal out there for the Toronto area and I suppose I won't keep it a secret :)

As I (loosely) understand it, the CRTC has mandated that Rogers can't "own" the cable that enters your home. This makes sense to me, you can't have 10 different cables coming into your house, so, for any sort of competition (beyond Rogers vs Bell) those cables need to be shared between multiple providers.

TekSavvy has jumped on this and now offers both cable internet (over the "Rogers" coax) and DSL (over Bell lines). I used to think that Rogers wanted "less hassle" and that's why they were letting TSI in - now I realize they have no choice :)

Anyhoo, Rogers, with their incredibly frustrating redirects and unsympathetic and unknowing staff is a distant memory for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm using TekSavvy's cable internet the same version you have, 10mbps down, 512K up...

Just did the test now and got:

18.48 mb/s down (speedburst skews this #)
0.17 mb/s up (slow!!)
805 ms ping

Not good!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
indigo81 welcome to DHC.

Where approx. are you located? It might help others determine what they might expect. Have you contacted the reseller yet?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts