Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from Rogers to TekSavvy, going to post my before/after speeds here.

Speed SHOULD remain the same, I have Express with Rogers (which is 10 down & 512 up) and TekSavvy offers the same speeds exactly (the cap is higher with TekSavvy though, 180Gig/month as opposed to Rogers 80Gig).

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
180?

I thought its 200 Gb a month? Ethier way I am having it set up this weekend. I can provide results as well. (currently i have primus DSL)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right - 200 Gig. And cheaper then Rogers...

Let's hope it works well. Curiously, I just repeated that ping test & got an "A" this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I switched about a month ago and the connection speed is about the same. I did have a delay of about 4 days getting it activated after my Rogers internet was disconnected. I had to keep calling everyday to get a status from TekSavvy, and all they could do was keep emailing Rogers to ask them to switch me. No Rogers tech had to come out as I was an existing cable internet customer who owned my own modem.

Here are my results from those servers:

·
Registered
409 Posts
out of curiousity, does teksavvy then use the same modem as rogers? i purchased the rogers modem a couple years ago and just curious in case i ever decide to switch. look forward to your reviews.

·
Registered
18 Posts
out of curiousity, does teksavvy then use the same modem as rogers? i purchased the rogers modem a couple years ago and just curious in case i ever decide to switch. look forward to your reviews.
Yes, but they have a list of approved modems. I purchased a Rogers modem a couple years back and it was on the list. Here is the current list I found on their website.

List of Approved Modems:

* Joohong - SL-2810 - 29.2
* Toshiba - PCX2600 - 19.0.0
* Toshiba - PCX2600 - 19.0.1
* Motorola - SB5100 - 3
* Motorola - SB5101 - 1
* Motorola - SB5101N - 1
* Motorola - SB5120 - 4
* SA - DPC2100 - 1.1
* SA - DPC2100r2 - 2.1
* SA - DPC2325 - 1
* SA - DPX2100 - 1.1
* SMC - SMC8004-BCM - 1.A
* SMC - SMC8013WG-RCR - 1C
* SMC - SMC8013WG-RMR - 1C
* SMC - SMC8014WG-RMR - 1.B
* SMC - SMC8014WG-SI - 1.A
* SMC - SMCD3GN - 1.A
* Terayon - ECM715 - 3
* Terayon - ECM715 - 7/3.2
* Terayon - ECM715 - 7/3.3
* Terayon - TJ715x - 10
* Terayon - TJ715xHP - 14
* Thomson - DCM325 - 1.7
* Thomson - DCM425 - 4

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I switched about a month ago and the connection speed is about the same. I did have a delay of about 4 days getting it activated after my Rogers internet was disconnected. I had to keep calling everyday to get a status from TekSavvy, and all they could do was keep emailing Rogers to ask them to switch me. No Rogers tech had to come out as I was an existing cable internet customer who owned my own modem.
???? The fastest cable package TekSavvy sells is 10 down & 1 up - how is it that you're getting <gasp> 33 down?? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Speedboost. It skews speed tests. Some parts of Rogers' territory has it, Toronto and the surrounding areas being one of them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skews meaning it's not REALLY faster? If you don't mind explaining I'd be curious to know how it works. I don't see how it could get around the "absolute" bottleneck imposed by the provider - but if it does I'd love to know :)

Edit: I'd thought this was something people install on their pc - but your note implies it's at the provider end - if so how would I know what speed I'm really getting?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Speedboost is a 10 seconds or so boost to the start of your transfers. It essentially makes loading web pages faster.

The best way to check your speed is to download a large file (you can cancel the download after a minute if you're tight with your cap space) from a large company like Microsoft (so that you know the server can transfer at high speeds) and see at what speed the download settles after a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Right. Every since Rogers enabled speedboost a few months back it has skewed speedtest.net results. I do see close to 10Mb/s sustained on large downloads after the speedboost ends.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Rogers puts the screws to you when you arnt even a Rogers client!(per say)

so the rogers tech came and set up my line. too bad they didn't provision my modem yet...

called techsavvy and they said this is a common issue. so i will need to wait 1-2 days for the service ticket to run its course.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the explanation. I'll download SP3 or something from Microsoft & post those results too for the right before/after picture. My Rogers > TekSavvy switch isn't for another week or so - Rogers insisted on a month's notice.

I hope speedtest.net & others adjust their tests to account for speedboost...otherwise it's not obvious if you're really getting the sustained speeds you're paying for.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm getting max 509 KB/Sec downloading SP3 from Microsoft.

I'm quite unsure of this math - but;
- 509 KB/Sec (think this is Bytes not Bits)
- multiple by 8 to get Bits/Sec gives 4,072 K Bits/Sec
- which can be expressed as 4 MegaBits/Sec

So am I only getting 4 Meg down or what?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1.13 MB/Sec with SP3 on a different computer. Obviously I'm using an ethernet cable, not wireless. 1.18 times 8 to get Megabits (if that's correct) = 9.44 down.

Snipes, you must not be on express due to the .99 upload speed, what package do you have the TekSavvy? I called them today & the guy I talked to didn't even know about speed boost.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I seem to remember a while bakc that some modems that rogers sold were locked to 5mb max and you needed to call rogers to remove the cap.

Did you buy the modem from tecksavvy or is this a pure rogers fup? Teksavy support is very good if you call. they can test your line and see if its set up right.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts