Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of people these days either break their handset, lose it, or get new phones so frequent, then they complain and whine about losing their contacts / address book and send the dreaded tweet or post on their face book "hey everyone, got a new phone, lost everyones number, please re-send me your numbers" which is silly, cus there are people who are not on their social media and do not know they are missing their contact info such as their grandma or grandpa or their cousins or colleagues. so thy will only get a small chunk of the contacts back only from the people on social media, this is silly but its a growing trend, people are not learning how to effectively back up their contacts. my wife was one of them till i set up her phone for her and told her you should not "rush" setting up your new phone, take your time and do it right.

Here is some advice. have one main email address you use regularly, and make this your primary email. I prefer to use Hotmail/MSN/Outlook. Add this email to your phone, and set it up to sync Emails, Contacts and Calendar entries. You do NOT have to sync to the default Gmail address that you need to create to use an android phone, most people have that address because its a requirement to have one created when you get an android but people have existing email accounts before they had an android such as yahoo or hotmail and they should not be forced to change them as you can still use these with your new android.

now when you meet a friend at work and take down their number and store it in your phone, it syncs to the cloud and you have a duplicate set of contacts online. here's another tip, if you forget your phone at home and are at work and need a number from your address book, you can just go online to your webmail account, in my case its outlook.com and sign in, not only will you see your emails, but when you need to find the number of your dentist to call to change your appointment , you can just go in the "contacts" section of your webmail and find it and call them. if your dentist tells you they changed their number to a new one, you can make the change right on the web based hotmail, and it will sync the changes to your smart phone for you automatically, yes this is a real thing people don't seem to know exists, so you can't complain your missing an important number.

special tip for hotmail users, if you delete a contact and realize you need it later on, hotmail has a recover deleted contacts function which will re-add the address book entry you deleted as long as you do it within a small window of time, 14 days i think? you would be surprised to know how many people do not know their handsets can do these wonderful things.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes back it up before you perform software updates and once a year. another thing when people get a new phone they tend to want to Copy their photos and videos to the new phone. I am against that, why fill up your phone with old memories? you can take NEW memories by having an empty phone and take new photos and then occasionally back them up, theres no need to show old photos but if u really want to, its not hard to go into the cloud and show pics of your son's last year birthday without having to clog up your phones memory storage

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I agree. There are lots of ways to backup a phone in addition to the Gmail address, other email addresses and computers. Many phone makers provide a free backup utility and cloud backup service. There are third party apps that can make backups to SD cards, cloud services and network or internet connected storage devices. The Google account provides a basic backup for contacts and app settings. It's probably a good idea to use that and at least one other. It's not like Google doesn't already have that info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts