Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the past couple of weeks my PVR would frequently reboot itself. it seems to be random, sometimes when I'm watching something, recording and watching or just recording. Sometimes it reboots 3-4 times in a row. I've got an external HD connected which has been running fine for over two years without any issue including the recent firmware upgrade.

I've now disconnected the external HD to see if the issue is with the PVR/internal HD or the external HD. And as I was just about to post this message, the PVR rebooted again. It's definitely an issue with the PVR or internal HD.

Has anyone experienced this before?

The unit is a rental so I can get it replaced if need be. (I wonder though if it's noticeable if I open the PVR to clone the internal HD so I can restore it to the replacement so I don't lose any shows?)

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I wonder though if it's noticeable if I open the PVR to clone the internal HD so I can restore it to the replacement so I don't lose any shows?
There's a sticker between the drive and chassis that's supposed to reveal if the PVR has been tampered with. I was able to remove that sticker without disturbing it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a sticker between the drive and chassis that's supposed to reveal if the PVR has been tampered with. I was able to remove that sticker without disturbing it.
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 8642 160GB, buying a 1TB HD for the 8642, opening up the 8300HD and cloning it to the 1TB, attaching the 750GB ext HD and returning the rental 8300HD to Rogers.

Has anyone cloned a 8300HD to 8642?

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
^^^^
Cloning won't work if you're changing PVRs. The drive (and clone) is only readable on the PVR that wrote it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, too good to be true. Forgot about the encryption.

I've got a spare 320GB IDE HD so I'll clone to that and replace the current HD. If the PVR still has rebooting spells, it'll go back to Rogers.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
364 Posts
During the past couple of weeks my PVR would frequently reboot itself...
I have been having the same problem. It seems to happen in the morning btwn 10 am to 1pm. I thought that it coincided with recording times but I have had it happen when no recordings are being made.
It has not happened at night when I am usually recording 2 programs at the same time and watching a recorded show

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I thought a weak signal could result in broken-up recordings, but not reboots? I'd still just as soon replace it. Watch everything you have on the drive (check out what you can catch up with using ROD or ROD-online to reduce your backlog) and bring it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exact Same Issue

I've had the exact same issue, starting around January 24/25: repeated reboots in a half-hour to an hour period, sometimes when I'm watching TV, sometimes when it's recording one or two shows, sometimes when it's just on. Since that date, it occurs usually once a day, at random times. Up until last Thursday it was a minor inconvenience, but it happened between 8 and 9pm eating into prime TV schedule. And it was after that time that we started losing recorded shows, initially from that day only (similar symptoms to issues discussed in the new firmware thread: a recorded show will appear in the index, but when selected, will give the generic screen from that channel in the 900s).

Sunday, after a random rebooting period, we lost all recorded shows (same symptoms mentioned above -- shows in the index, but can't find them).

Figuring it might be the eHDD (its a NexStar CX-NST-300SU with blue WD 1TB, purchased Sept. 2009; yup, I've seen the thread on that one too), I unplugged it from the SA8300HD on Monday. However, last night (Tuesday) at 8pm, the random rebooting occurred again, without the eHDD.

I would have thought it had to do with the firmware updates, as I've never had any issues with the SA8300HD + eHDD combo up until two weeks ago (yet resisted posting to the new firmware thread). At least I've safely ruled out the eHDD (I suppose for the most part).

I'm grateful to reddwarf for his initial post as I thought my issues were unique.

However I own my PVR, and it's over two years since it was purchased, so the warranty is certainly up.

I haven't phoned Rogers yet, but have purchased a WD 500G to possibly replace the iHDD, but I have no idea if that's the issue yet. I haven't checked my signal strength, etc., yet 57, and might consider that, but as another poster said, how would that cause repeated random reboots.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think that the constant cycling on and off of the internal disk is causing stress on the drive and is causing these reboots. I recently have seen reboots when I'm simply deleting a recording. I deleted 4 in a row, and got a reboot. After the reboot, I deleted two more and got a reboot. If Rogers doesn't do something soon, they are going to have 1000's of failed boxes coming back.

Does the disk cycling occur on the 8642's as well or only the 8300?

·
Registered
364 Posts
PVR reboot at 4:31 a.m. today. PVR was off. No recordings occuring at that time. As of 10:25 a.m. S/N 36 Signal Strength +7. I have had no issues with the eHDD or with losing recorded programs
Andrew

SA8300HD PVR
EXTERNAL CAVALRY 1TB DRIVE
WDC WD10EACS-00C7B0

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Just as an FYI, +7 is a bit high, if you have an amp, you may wish to consider removing it temporarily and measuring again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Larry, the disk cycling occurs on the 8642 as well.

Here is a sample I took this morning:

10:22 drive started up
10:24 drive shut down
10:25 drive started up
10:27 drive shut down
10:31 drive started up
10:33 drive shut down

So for me this morning my rental 8642 is cycling between 3 and 6 minutes.
It's only a matter of time before the drive is trashed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that the constant cycling on and off of the internal disk is causing stress on the drive and is causing these reboots. I recently have seen reboots when I'm simply deleting a recording. I deleted 4 in a row, and got a reboot. After the reboot, I deleted two more and got a reboot. If Rogers doesn't do something soon, they are going to have 1000's of failed boxes coming back.
That's been my thinking too about the cycling of the HD. Prior to the firmware upgrade I've had very few random reboots though with the firmware upgrade I've had no issues up until a week or two ago with these reboots.

The thing is we have some recordings that we'd like to preserve. I could technically use the Copy to VCR function and vidcap the SD stuff. *sigh* That's a lot of work. Such simple devices yet the programming sucks.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Solid State Drive (or disk). They use some type of memory instead of a spinning platter. These days it's usually flash memory. About 30 years ago, I saw one system that used battery backed up RAM.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts