Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I believe Arthur was talking about the U.S. version on Galaxy 19.
Yes. Although it wasn't labelled "U.S." or otherwise. Not going through a US or Canadian DBS provider. I am not even sure it is scrambled now, only wasn't available last time I checked (might have been only parameter change, but I don't have the equipment to check anymore).
BTW, the satellite at 97 degrees West went through many name changes, and is currently called Galaxy 19 (although FashionTV's web site lists it as Galaxy 25).

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Galaxy 25 was the old Telstar-5 that was replaced with a new satellite Galaxy 19... they only called it Galaxy 25 to keep things simple being the old bird was T-5

As for that Fashion TV channel from France its HD and MPEG-4 however it’s encrypted now... so no way to watch it anymore. There is a new channel just like it on the same bird trying to pick up the same viewers that got shut out when the original decided to go pay tv.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Free HD Canada Launch Delayed

Read attached story here dated Nov 18, 2010 that states the launch date has been pushed back to Q1 2012. This is significant because now they won't be starting up at the same time as the analog-to-digital OTA TV transition in Q3 2011.

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000393078

It states the delay has been caused by an inability to secure satellite space.

·
Banned
844 Posts
This will likely kill some of their business.
Not necessarily, it actually might help them by having more time to prepare so they can come out of the gate strong. Bell & Shaw are languishing and are not really doing much, MPEG-4 is still a long time away for them. FreeHD will have MPEG-4 capable receivers from the start so even though they are delaying their launch slightly, they will still have an edge when they do actually launch. If they offer a good service at a reasonable price then I think the two incumbents are in trouble since they will still be offering over compressed channels using old MPEG-2 signals while FreeHD will have a state of the art system with clear picture and more capacity available to them by using newer technology (MPEG-4).

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
A great service with no satellite from which to broadcast! Satellite capacity is in high demand by not only Canadian companies but also the much bigger US services who, frankly, offer better long term viability for those wishing to lease out their satellites. FreeHD is an upstart that will have NO customers initially and if they ever do get off the ground they'll have to abide by the same CRTC rules that are killing the Canadian Satellite broadcasting industry. What chance do they have?

Also, you can over compress MPEG4 just as easily as MPEG2. No one ever said MPEG4 gave a better picture, it just gives the same picture quality at a lower bandwidth than MPEG2.

-Mike

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
My point about killing business, is that they were going to launch around the time analog is being shut off and if their service was available they would likely grab some of those ota viewers and now that's not going to be possible and those ota viewers will either have to upgrade their antenna or if they have no digital tv in their area upgrade to cable or satellite. By the time FreeHD gets going those people will be customers of another company.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One possibility for the slow introduction of MPEG4 is the licensing fees. MPEG2 is still affordable while MPEG4 can become extremely costly if you're charged a yearly per-subscriber fee.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first read about FreeHD Canada, I got excited. Now that I've read this thread, not so much. Since I live in Toronto and have set-up OTA, they'll only be offering the stuff I am already getting. It will be good for people who are farther out. As for the subscription, I guess we'll see how things look via selection and price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe FreeHD's plan is to distribute all the HD specialty channels as a chargeable service.
It would be awesome if there were different options for choices, but I get the feeling that it will all be lumped together. I'd be in the market for a sports package, as I'm sure many others would.

What I'm not clear on is - Will you have to obtain custom dishes and receivers for this service? I'm assuming the answer is "yes"?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Will you have to obtain custom dishes and receivers for this service? I'm assuming the answer is "yes"?
Yes - Where you live, it will be cheaper to put up an antenna + you will get more free tv from Buffalo than FreeHD will offer.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I don't know what you would call a custom dish, but what you need ultimately will depend on what satellite or satellites they can lease space from, which to this date is undetermined. It seems likely, they will get a regular linear Ku satellite, meaning a regular Ku dish.

As for a receiver, it has been my understanding all along they would use their proprietary receiver, because they need to encrypt the service, to protect the interests of domestic and foreign rightsholders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FreeHD/Blusky

Check out their website. It has a recent update/makeover with some newer info. Lookin good. Oh so can't wait to say bye , bye to Rogers and the '80s GUI and last generation STB. Also glad I didn't bother to go with the Shaw OVP. Flakey hardware and would have had to rip down ther dish after one year anyways. Check out their site guys, I think you will like what you see.
At least we have hope. Bring on the HD.

·
Premium Member
4,114 Posts
I saw the web site.

So its now BluSky HDTV? :rolleyes: Big deal a name change.

1)What I want to know is when are you going to launch?

2)You state on your web site that you have the leading HD PVR in the industry with the most recording capability, yet you fail to name it? Ah hello? :rolleyes: If you have the leading PVR in the industry , then you should know it's name? Mind sharing it with your potential customers?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That's Canada for you. We have two brand new satellites in orbit but our services cannot get any transponder space. The full capacity of both satellites was leased to US companies with the full approval of Canadian regulators.

181 - 200 of 323 Posts