Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from US trip using "Big Gig". Disappointed with Freedom's product as:
  • Their US partner, ATT, downgrades service to 3G from 4G immediately on connection
  • Data usage frequently interrupted by request for confirmation re data usage
  • Service became sporadically unavailable more frequently in second week
  • Service was sloooow!
Did I hear that US networks don't like "hot spotting"?
Will explore other options prior to next trip - local PAYG?

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
As a previous Wind Mobile user, I switched to Public mobile (owned by Telus) as they have the most fair USA rates.
The only option is a 10 day prepaid.
These add-ons can be used even on their cheap $10/ month plan (which is really $8/ month if you setup a credit card).

Their plans are cheap because you need to bring your own device and all customer service is through their website direct messaging.
Sims are currently free at wal-mart.

For $10 you get 250MB of DATA
$15 = 500MB of Data
$20 = 1 GB of Data for 10 days.
I still get Texts, by am too cheap to sign up for a US Texting plan.

I use Fongo to receive calls using the data and Google Hangouts to make calls using my data plan.

Here are the plan add-ons in their own words:
U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.

U.S. Talk Only
Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

U.S. Data Only
250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Just returned from US trip using "Big Gig". Disappointed with Freedom's product as:
  • Their US partner, ATT, downgrades service to 3G from 4G immediately on connection
  • Data usage frequently interrupted by request for confirmation re data usage
  • Service became sporadically unavailable more frequently in second week
  • Service was sloooow!
Did I hear that US networks don't like "hot spotting"?
Will explore other options prior to next trip - local PAYG?
Don't know if this makes sense but ATT is really uptight about hotspots. Last year I purchased a "deal" from them after being assured "hotspot" was allowed. Turned out it wasn't and they would not refund so my credit card did. Their loss and a salesman and manager lying(wonder of wonders! :) ) I have an ATT free phone as a result of their dishonesty(no use for it though).
Maybe they downgraded as a result of the hotspotting.
I was still in the store parking lot when I tried HS as I had asked specifically if allowed. I received a note that it was not and a few minutes after a purchase they would not provide a refund. Will be avoiding them.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I use knowroaming. The basic paygo is expensive. $25US for 9 months. The money can be used for data, voice and text. Data is .15 per mb. So $25 is like 166 mb. But they have a unlimited day pass for $4us and a one month pass with 1 gb for $10us. These passes are reasonably priced. I used it in us but mostly for whatsapp use. Still looking for better low cost alternative that I can use in Canada as well now that Rogers no longer offer a $1 day pass.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
This year I used T-Mobile for a month in San Diego. $50 unlimited (at least 50GB data). Supposed to be for phone mainly but I used it for hotspot also. No problem 46 GB in a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts