Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Cogeco website it talks about different pricing packages etc. with information effective August 1. It also mentions that each package includes *free HD channels. Does anyone have information on what these free channels are, and how do you go about getting them once you have an HD stb?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a letter telling me the HD channels will be free
as long as you have subscribed to their SD channels

ie: tsn2 SD = free tsn2 HD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does that mean that the networks HD feed is free, since technically we all subscribe to them as well. Also your example of TSN would also include anyone who orders any digital package since it is included along with the most basic package. As are a few others that are also available in HD.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Free HD Channels (effective August 1st) are:

- PBS
- CBS
- ABC
- Viewers Choice PPV
- Omni 1
- Omni 2
- CityTV
- CBC
- CTV
- SRC
- SunTV
- NBC
- Global
- CHCH
- FOX

TSN, Showcase, A&E, etc. still require a subscription to the HD Channels package.

This is according to the newest programming brochure I picked up in the Cogeco store a few days ago.

·
Registered
205 Posts
But they aren't free at all. You have to pay $6 HD access fee every month!

·
Registered
438 Posts
What? No, I think you misunderstood.

The channels I listed above, as of August 1st, will be completely free and are included as part of the "Digital Basic Channels".

All channels not listed above will still require a subscription to the $6 HD Access package.

Edit: Here, I've scanned the newest brochure and uploaded it...

(Click to view full size, excuse the markings I made on it :p)

The bottom half is essentially identical to the current brochure. What I don't understand is why channels that are part of the "Free HD Channels" are also listed under the $6 "HD Channels" package.

(On an unrelated note, I guess they didn't notice they have A Channel and BNN listed twice under Digital Basic Channels lol)

·
Registered
20 Posts
(On an unrelated note, I guess they didn't notice they have A Channel and BNN listed twice under Digital Basic Channels lol)
and the old-school red-blue Citytv logo. :) Brings back memories of better days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has this, but I now have Discovery HD.. And I don't subscribe to the HD premium package, just HD access. I'm not getting HDNet though

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the upshot is if you have digital select 1 and the HD access package (not premium) the bill is going up $1.01.

Currently I pay $51.99 plus $5.99 HD access for a total of $57.98 and the new cost is $58.99.

On the other hand if your not partial to some of the non basic channels you could drop the $5.99 and still have quite a few HD Channels and pay $53.99, saving close to four bucks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The prices haven't changed at all. I'm not sure how you're still paying 51.99 and 5.99 for Digital Select 1 and HD, those prices were increased a few months ago (a letter went out).

Digital Select 1 has been $52.99 and HD has been $6.00 since May I believe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
HD Underserved Area

I called cogeco today in regards to the free hd versus the hd access package. She told me that I was in an "hd under served" area and that my hd access fee should only be 2.99/month as opposed to the 6.00. I was also able to get credit for the last couple of months. So i saved a few dollars there. The rep was telling me that they are working on upgrades in the area. I am in North Bay.

So if you don't receive all of the channels in the new hd access package and still pay six dollars, you might want to call them

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am not sure what the qualification is to be in a HD under service area, although i do not get near the HD other areas of Ontario get. Chatham area with just over 15 HD channels.

Anyone, I also called yesterday to cancel my HD Access. In the Chatham area I still end up getting most of my HD for free. Only HD I end up losing are TSN, SportsNet, Score and A&EHD. I see no need in paying 6 bucks for those channels.

Also since I am on the TMN package I still get 3 movies stations in HD.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I re-scanned my channels last night and the only hd channel to show up thru the QAM tuner was DiscHD. Any one else find the freebies thru their QAM tuner?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
DiscHD is currently on Free Preview on several providers. You can probably expect encryption on it when the preview is over.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My neighbour (who is a cranky old man in his 70s) called me over yesterday because something was 'wrong' with his HD cable box (turns out he had just accidentally hit the Record button, so nothing was really wrong). While I was there I saw that he received a postcard from Cogeco saying that he would get 6 FREE HD channels starting from now on.

Of course, being smarter than most media outlets I was skeptical, and then I looked at the offerings. Yep I was right. TLC, History, MovieTime, KTLA, WPIX and WGN. Only the first two of those are really free (and have been for a while), the rest require you to be subscribed to their respective packages. In the case of the last 3 channels, 'free' costs you the entire TMN package, which is a good $20 for three supposedly 'free' channels.

While they were at it, why didn't they advertise the rest of those 'free' channels, like LeafsTV, RaptorsTV, CBS College Sports, National Geographic HD, and Bold HD? Those are all in the same boat as MovieTime, so why does MovieTime get the extra attention?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts