Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neighbour tells me that he cancelled his cable years ago, but still has Cogeco internet, and he gets all the basic TV channels still. He just plugs coax cable directly into TV, doesn't use a box.

Is he just lucky somehow? He says this is standard practice, that Cogeco can't lock off basic channels if you have internet service.

I only want basic service as well, and am happy to stay with Cogeco for internet, but don't want to kill the cable and then lose all TV service. Anyone have info on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have cogeco internet in Burlington, and I only subscribe to Cogeco Internet and Telephone, but I don't get any cable tv. Your friend must be lucky, because it doesn't work for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Yes they can block all TV and leave the internet intact. I recently cancelled my cable TV account (leaving internet and cable telephony). Cable TV worked for a month until a big cherry picker arrived and installed a filter on the pole (the van could not reach it). Normally the tech just walks to the cable box on the lawn and the switch is immediate.

I suspect you friend is lucky in that they forgot to add the filter. Someday when a tech is up on the pole working on another line they may notice the filter missing and add it. They may also do routine audits to check for cable theft.

I do get about 6 channels plus the Weather Network and a few QAM music channels.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Out of interest, which 6 channels do you get still?

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
It will depend on your cable provider but I get with NTSC,

CBOT CBC, CBOFT Radio Canada, ASSEMB Canal de l'Assemblée nationale, CFGS V, CHRO A, HISTCF Historia, CANZ ZTele, MPIX Movie Pix, WPBS, CWEA TWN, CPACF, APTNE APTN East.

Plus 4 QAM radio stations.

So 7 English, 6 French.

I had to double check MPIX. But yes that is what it is.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
there will be some channels which are in the same or similar spectrum band that the modems work with, so if cogeco blocked them, your internet would not work. they are there because it might be physically impossible to block them untill analogue television is completely decommissioned and switched over to digital.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. The friend is a neighbour, few houses away, so maybe that missing filter will help me get free basic cable as well. I'll find out soon, cable goes out May 13th.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Decided to cancel cable in stages, put it down to basic cable ($29.99) a few weeks ago instead of outright cancelling, for now. But I'm still getting all of the Value Pack channels like Teletoon, HGTV, etc!

Is this because they just haven't come put a filter-thingy on yet??

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yes. Untill things are Digital Only, Truck Rolls are still required for changing tiers. It doesnt mean your getting it for free, it just means the delay from when you cancel or downgrade and the time the technician comes to your house will have a bit of a delay, where if analog was gone and you were on digital only, the change will be instantaneous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts