Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I called a CSR at Shaw to see if FSWC will be shutting down or if Shaw will remove it, but the guy couldn't really tell me at this point. He said it could be just Bell, but to call back at a later date, and they might have more info about it then.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FSWC

Well there seems no doubt that BellTV is ditching it as of Oct 7th. I received a message in my "view/update programming" section confirming that it will not be available on BellTV as of that date.

The logo still shows on the Canwest "specialty Channel" webpage, but there's no promotional material being presented from what i could see. Maybe there's some re-branding/re-birth in the offing. Or then again, maybe it's done for.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Most likely, its done for. (I don't understand the Oct. 7 date, what is it going to air for the entire month of September?!)

On the Canwest website, they have posted a fall schedule for all their specialties except for FSWC. That is a good sign that its days are numbered and I think it should shut down since Canwest has pretty much given up on this channel, its a shadow of its former self- too bad it was a good channel when it first launched.

It looks like they were not successful in getting any Serie A matches from The Score, which is the only significant live soccer programming they have had the past few years.

If it does shut down, then that is good news for EuroWorld Sport which hopefully will get the channel spot now occupied by FSWC- pending an agreement being reached beween TLN & the BDU of course.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think it will shut down on Friday August 27, that is probably the last day they will be able to air Serie A programming from last year before The Score takes over broadcast rights.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
At the very least they should have tried to become Canada's MLS channel, but they couldn't even do that. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
"I called Shaw...but the guy couldn't really tell me...He said to call back at a later date, and they might have more info about it then."

That might as well be the standard answer every time you call Shaw to pose any programming question. "Don't ask us, we're in the dark too".

·
Banned
844 Posts
At the very least they should have tried to become Canada's MLS channel, but they couldn't even do that.
Uh, in case you didn't notice GolTV Canada is unofficially 'Canada's MLS channel'. They have exclusive coverage of Toronto FC, live matches, pre-games, highlights shows, etc. They also air the MLS 'game of the week' that airs on ESPN in the US on Saturdays and from what I understand they will have coverage of Vancouver's MLS team when it launches. I think more and more MLS content will be added over time, so if you want MLS then this is your channel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We'll see about whether the Whitecaps and Impact have a huge presence on GolTV. GolTV is owned and operated by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which also of course owns and operates TFC. Not that I'm meaning to seem conspiratorial, I just would assume that their focus would naturally be on their own team.

·
Registered
275 Posts
MLSE will do whatever it takes to increase revenue and profit. Since the teams will not compete at the gate or for merchandise sales, I would think it would be in their best interest to spread at least some coverage to Vancouver and Montreal and increase the value of MLS in Canada.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Score has announced its schedule for Serie A games this year, and interestingly this media release mentions that FSW will continue to air live Serie A games each week: http://www.scoremedia.com/2010/08/score-media-announces-2010-11-serie-a-schedule/.

Well, technically it says that TLN and FSW will, between them, show 3 live matches per week, so I guess that leaves the door open to FSW shutting down and TLN picking up all three matches. Still, it sounds like FSW maybe has some life left.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hmmm. Well now that is interesting. If FSWC is staying on the air the why would BellTV stop carrying it on Oct 7th of all dates? Isn't that the date the new NHL season starts? Sportsnet One maybe?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Makes sense to me Boca Junior. MLB playoffs and NHL season start around there which equals conflicts for Sportsnet and probably some MLB playoff and NHL games on One.

Remember that FSWC is locked into the Saturday 2:45 and Sunday 2:45 matches because they pick up their coverage from FSC in the US. The broadcast windows for Serie A are, with my guesses in brackets

Saturday 12:00pm (The Score)
Saturday 2:45pm (FSWC)
Sunday 6:30am (TLN)
Sunday 9:00am (TLN and The Score)
Sunday 2:45pm (The Score)

The good news is that this means every "national TV" game in Italy will be on TV this year, the Saturday 12:00 game wasn't last year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Score's opening weekend schedule indicates that they will retain the Saturday doubleheader (and perhaps put "The Footy Show" in between?).

The Inter/Bologna match got pushed back to Monday in the opening weekend due to Inter's participation in the UEFA Super Cup so its difficult to predict which match is The Score's 3rd time slot. With many "big names" anticipated to be involved in the new early Sunday kickoff and the zero chance of conflict for The Score in regards to other sporting events, it makes sense that this will be their 3rd time slot.

FSWC also has the Sunday 9am match to use for a feed from FSC in the US.

Based on these facts, my guess is the following:

Saturday 12:00pm (The Score)
Saturday 2:45pm (The Score)
Sunday 6:30am (The Score)
Sunday 9:00am (TLN and FSWC)
Sunday 2:45pm (TLN)

Now the question is: how are EWS and TLN en Espanyol involved - as mentioned in the press release???

hawk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The Score will have afternoon CIS football games all fall. James Sharman has said these two things via Twitter

-"the first weekend is a bit tricky to schedule because the games are on at odd times"
-"we will have 3 games per week, 2 on Sunday and 1 on Saturday. The Saturday game will be tape delayed in the fall because of other commitments"

Those aren't exact quotes, but its basically what he said. The Score already has games scheduled for Sunday at 9 all September, so that slot and Saturday 12:00 or 2:45 are already confirmed. They also have 11:00 games scheduled in September, which will probably change to 2:45 once Woodbine horse racing season ends. Since The Score will want first pick of Saturday morning, that probably means TLN will get 2nd and FSWC will be left out.

So I think TLN will have a Sunday doubleheader because they have never really liked airing Saturday games.

EuroWorld Sports will have encores of games and probably highlight shows (like Serie A weekly) and TLN en Espanyol will have games in Spanish, probably the same ones as TLN has in English.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wonder if the license will be resurrected as something else? Perhaps CanWest is planning a network to go head to head with TSN/Sportsnet?

I don't profess to understand CRTC rules, but did their laxing of rules (which allowed TSN to show movies and TSN2 to drop their replay status) allow for CanWest to relaunch this as a Fox Sports Net station? What I mean is perhaps they will simulcast programming that is shown on the various FSN stations across the US.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Canwest (or Shaw once they take it over) almost certainly won't turn it into a general interest sports channel. They simply don't have the resources to do so, nor have they applied to the CRTC to do so.

As for airing FSN content, right now FSWC doesn't even have rights to very many FSC (Fox Soccer Channel) studio shows. Yes they could theoretically add in some FSN studio shows, but there also would be no rules keeping them to only airing FSN content. They would not be able to air other FSN content because of regional restrictions and current broadcasting rights in Canada.

·
Banned
844 Posts
Anyone have any updates on FSWC, is it shutting down or not?!

I noticed that they have started airing French league & Europa league matches now, looks like Shaw is already in control of Canwest and its channels. I think this might just be programming to fill in the schedule for September although there has been no official announcement from Canwest on the future of this channel and the Canwest site still does not list a fall schedule for FSWC so that could be a sign that it is shutting down?!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts