Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently this was announced last week but I didn't see it.

Starting last week, iPad owners can download Fortune, Time, and Sports Illustrated free on their iPad if they have a print subscription.

I sub to Fortune and SI so this is great news. Recently several other pubs I subscribe to (the Economist and Businessweek) did this so now I have 8 digital magazine subs through Zinio on my iPad and 4 that I get because I'm a pad subscriber.

Combine that with Globe sub and my Kobo reader app and I now do virtually all of my reading on the iPad.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find all my magazines represent excellent value. The Digital editions along with the Print edition makes them an even better value in my mind.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The New Yorker adopted this practice as well this week. Alternatively, $60 gets you a year's iPad subscription as well as access to their online web archive of past issues. Good enough deal to get a subscription from me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I only wish that Canadian magazines, such as Macleans, would consider doing this. Even subscribers to their print editions are forced to pay $2.99 per issue for an iPad version of the same issue, which is far too much in my opinion.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly despite the huge amount of subsidies poured into Rogers Media by the government, I still can't find one of their magazines I want to subscribe to!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Starting next week, you will be able to download Golf Digest for free if you already have a paper subscription.

BTW - What Golf Digest has done with their app is the best magazine app I've seen so far.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem now is we have to get a second iPad since no one can get first one from me because I am always using it.

My wife can never read the paper or her National Geographic subscription.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mappy... what is it about the Golf Digest app that you like (compared to other magazine apps)?
It's the integrated video's. For instance, I found the 2011 Equipment Guide very cool. Video's, 360 views of clubs, the sound each new driver made, etc. Each download is huge because of it however.

To be clear, it's my fav but I'm far from being a huge consumer of magazines on the iPad. I have used the Zinio app and the Economist app. Those magazines appear to be not much more than pdf versions of the print editions. Golf Digest tries to utilize more of the media features available on a tablet.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
National Geographic is similar. Lots of Video and interactive features but it typically is about a 100MB download vs about 15 to 25 MB for average magazine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts