Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Toronto would probably like the race but I expect taxpayers there would be displeased to foot a bill for it. If they could slot it in around Indy it might make sense since the setup work is largely already done. But if they have to do a seperate shutdown and pay a bunch for the privilege? I doubt that would get very far when F-E doesn't generate that much publicity.

·
Registered
337 Posts
But haven’t you noticed how amazingly boring their races are, much like Indy city circuits? No where to pass. I’ve tried really hard to like F-e, but it’s not happening. At least a real track might show what the drivers are capable of.
If you only watched a few races in the first couple of seasons Speed/FOX Sports Racing with a ton of commercials, it doesn't help.

Back then, it was pretty much 50/50: Half the races were very exciting, the other half were just ok, like F1 you know. But since they switch to the Gen2 car in 2018, nearly all races are exciting. Also, having a commercial-free broadcast available now helps to enjoy it. I don't think a "real" track would change the quality of the show. The Mexico City E-Prix (Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez) isn't different to others events. I think the show will also be the same this weekend at Valencia's Circuit Ricardo Tormo. I won't be surprise, next month, to see the Monaco E-Prix being more exciting than the Monaco Grand Prix (FE will use the same layout as F1, except for Sainte Devote).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Toronto would probably like the race but I expect taxpayers there would be displeased to foot a bill for it. If they could slot it in around Indy it might make sense since the setup work is largely already done...
But even if it used some version of the IndyCar circuit it would require another July weekend of the site and the buildings like the trade centre and stadium not being available for other events, and would presumably have to involve Green Savoree Toronto, the promoter of the IndyCar race.
It seems a Toronto City Councillor who was an "environmental geoscientist" requested that a committee look into a Formula-E event, though specifying "at no cost to taxpayers" which would seem to be the unlikely part without the big corporate sponsorship required to pay for it.
The federal government had some kind of goal of using Downsview Park (which includes the 'commons area' on the west side of the airfield) to showcase and "implement green technologies", so they might be on board with facilitating it to be used.
IndyCar and IMSA (with LMDh) will be hybrids in 2023, while F1 and WEC (LMP1 hybrid) have already been for some time now, and Nascar may be doing it, to the consternation of its fans.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The City of Vancouver will be voting on a motion to allow promoter One Stop Strategy Motorsports to have a Formula E race in the False Creek neighbourhood where the Vancouver Indy had been from 1990 to 2004 when it was no longer able to attract enough corporate sponsorship to avoid losing money. I'm not sure how OSS Group intends to pay for the Formula E event, as there appears to be no mention of a corporate title sponsor.
Edit: Approved.
Vancouver City Council approves FIA Formula E car race starting in 2022 | Urbanized (dailyhive.com)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Harvester, it must have gotten lost in the mix, but I had asked why manufacturers were losing interest in Formula E? I'm curious as to what is driving that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Harvester, it must have gotten lost in the mix, but I had asked why manufacturers were losing interest in Formula E? I'm curious as to what is driving that.
Audi is leaving and going to Dakar Rally and back into the top level of sports car racing (LMDh in IMSA and WEC), with this saying "it is understood that the top brass at Audi feel that Formula E has already served its purpose, now that the world has begun the transition to electric cars." BMW is also looking at LMDh, though Porsche appears as though it may continue being involved in Formula E but also LMDh as well.
LMDh “Very Appealing” for BMW Amid Continued Discussions – Sportscar365
Why Audi is walking away from Formula E - The Race (the-race.com)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Audi is leaving and going to Dakar Rally and back into the top level of sports car racing (LMDh in IMSA and WEC), with this saying "it is understood that the top brass at Audi feel that Formula E has already served its purpose, now that the world has begun the transition to electric cars." BMW is also looking at LMDh, though Porsche appears as though it may continue being involved in Formula E but also LMDh as well.
LMDh “Very Appealing” for BMW Amid Continued Discussions – Sportscar365
Why Audi is walking away from Formula E - The Race (the-race.com)
Thanks. So it's more about the evolution of things(ie F1 going back to V12s would not get any manufacturers) as opposed to Formula E itself.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts