Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Formula E will return to London (UK) on the last weekend of July 2020, on what likely would have been the Montreal date had that continued to be an annual event.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2019/february/london-e-prix
The track will run around the outside and partly inside ExCel London, an exhibition centre that looks like it's approximately the same size as the Enercare Centre, the trade centre at Exhibition Place in Toronto.
I wonder if it would be possible to fit a suitable Formula E layout entirely inside it, which could therefore be used during winter?
The Monaco ePrix layout appears to have been the shortest one so far at 1.76 km (1.09 miles).

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Around the Enercare Centre there are a lot of streets/parking lots that could be "tented" over somehow if the track needed some space outside in the winter. May be even possible to run them through a larger building at Exhibition Place nearby. Probably too expensive though for Formula E.

Would be cool to have a race go through BMO Field in Toronto - one thing I thought would be cool for the track in Sochi, Russia would have been to have it go through the Olympic Stadium near the track. It would be a larger version of the baseball stadium section at Circuit Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I haven't seen any news in several months regarding the Formula E vs Montreal lawsuit.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/city-council-meets-5
Formula E tends to go to non-traditional locations/tracks - I think they would setup there own street track elsewhere.
The Berlin Formula E race is at Tempelhof Airport. I wonder if something similar could be done at Downsview Airport in the north part of Toronto? It's not downtown, but there is a TTC subway/GO Train station there now.
This company already sponsors a FE team and has its headquarters north of Toronto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_International
http://www.magna.com/formula-e

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Downsview would be a good venue for the Indy race as well - at least some proper run-off areas can be built compared to the downtown Indy circuit.

I don't get the economics of FE yet - my concern with a Toronto race would be the cost of re-paving to FIA standards, building the circuit, paddock, etc. would cost a lot compared to the revenue it would bring in. If it was a football stadium, Doug Ford would be all in - but for a FE temporary circuit, I see it as a tough spend for the provincial government and I don't see the city spending anything after what Montreal went through.

If Indycar (or another series) and FE could get together and share the costs, it would be beneficial for both to setup something together.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Norris McDonald is hoping Exhibition Place and Ontario Place (which actually was Toronto's answer to Montreal's Expo '67 on Ile Notre Dame and other nearby islands) are redeveloped with consideration of not only continuing the Toronto Indy but also possibly being used for other racing, including Formula E or F1.
http://www.wheels.ca/news/ontario-place-redevelopment-is-a-motor-sport-opportunity/

The provincial government did say "we will consider a broad range of ideas, from sports and entertainment landmarks" for Ontario Place, though I'm not sure that suggestion of racing would go over well. If anything, I think it's more likely that new development would end up squeezing the Indy out of Exhibition Place.
On the other hand, it appears that Downsview Airport will continue for the foreseeable future.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/de-havilland-brand-to-fly-again-after-sale-by-bombardier-1.5160496
It may present a more realistic opportunity for some kind of semi-permanent racing venue to be used on a couple of weekends every summer, though similarly there has been no indication that the new owners of the property would want it. The largely empty space immediately surrounding the runway, particularly on the north and west sides, has mostly industrial areas (as opposed to residential areas) adjacent to it, with the nearest houses and condos farther away than at Exhibition Place, so presumably noise complaints shouldn't be a huge concern from people living near the airport.

I wonder if billionaire Carlo Fidani (of real estate development company Orlando Corporation), owner of Mosport, could take an interest? In one sense he would be competing with himself, but he could probably easily keep Mosport's present major races (Nascar Trucks, etc.) there, while having IndyCar (and/or Formula E, etc.) in Toronto, while using events at both venues to promote each other.

·
Registered
337 Posts
FYI, here’s the number of commercial breaks I’ve noticed during TSN’s broadcasts of FE’s world feed for the Diriyah E-Prix:

Race 1
Pre-Race Show (1 hour): 1 break
Race (45 min + 1 lap): No commercials
Post-Race Show (~30 minutes): 2 breaks

Race 2
Pre-Race Show (1 hour): 2 breaks
Race (45 min + 1 lap): No commercials
Post-Race Show (~30 minutes): 1 break

·
Registered
337 Posts
Qualifyings will be stream on TSN's website and app now.

So, here's the schedule for this Saturday's Santiago E-Prix:

Preview Show & Shakedown
Friday from 2:50 pm ET on ABB Formula E's YouTube Channel

FP1 5:55 am ET on ABB Formula E's YouTube Channel
FP2 8:10 am ET on ABB Formula E's YouTube Channel

Qualifying
Live from 9:45 am ET on TSN.ca & TSN App
Delayed to 2:30 pm ET on FOX Sports Racing

Race (Green at 2:03 pm ET)
Live from 1:00 pm ET on TSN5
Live from 1:30 pm ET on RDS
Delayed to 3:30 pm ET on FOX Sports Racing

·
Registered
347 Posts
This article claims there is an attempt to bring a Formula E event to Vancouver as soon as 2022. But remember there was a similar story regarding Toronto a couple of years ago that woud seem to have went nowhere, and the Formula E lawsuit with Montreal has not yet been resolved.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Having been kicked out of Montreal after one year and the ensuing lawsuit still not resolved, then having failed to get Toronto interested, followed by Vancouver, Formula E is supposedly again hoping they can arrange something in Toronto according to Norris McDonald, although he annoyingly fails to provide details. I can't see the city being willing to pay for this on their own, and Magna International seems to be losing interest in Formula E, along with manufacturers like BMW and Audi.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having been kicked out of Montreal after one year and the ensuing lawsuit still not resolved, then having failed to get Toronto interested, followed by Vancouver, Formula E is supposedly again hoping they can arrange something in Toronto according to Norris McDonald, although he annoyingly fails to provide details. I can't see the city being willing to pay for this on their own, and Magna International seems to be losing interest in Formula E, along with manufacturers like BMW and Audi.
View attachment 11979
I hope Toronto tells them to pound sand. Formula E getting paid tax dollars to have a race? Screw off.

Wonder why those manufacturers are losing interest?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Send them to Mosport. Or whatever it’s called now
Unless Formula E has suddenly found a corporate sponsor to give them millions of dollars to fund a race, which would seem even more unlikely after this past year, I don't think it's happening anywhere in Canada.
And, maybe like when the Village People had garbage thrown at them at Mosport (if I remember correctly) when they were strangely in the lineup of the Canada Jam rock fest there in 1978, I don't think it would be a suitable venue for them. Formula E wants their events to be in cities, not out in farm country.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Unless Formula E has suddenly found a corporate sponsor to give them millions of dollars to fund a race, which would seem even more unlikely after this past year, I don't think it's happening anywhere in Canada.
And, maybe like when the Village People had garbage thrown at them at Mosport (if I remember correctly) when they were strangely in the lineup of the Canada Jam rock fest there in 1978, I don't think it would be a suitable venue for them. Formula E wants their events to be in cities, not out in farm country.
But haven’t you noticed how amazingly boring their races are, much like Indy city circuits? No where to pass. I’ve tried really hard to like F-e, but it’s not happening. At least a real track might show what the drivers are capable of.

101 - 120 of 128 Posts