Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it starts next weekend. Is anyone in Canada going to be showing the races?

2015-2016 FIA Formula E Championship - Official FIA Formula E Championship

To date, Formula E has already signed multi-year deals with FOX Sports, ITV, China's CCTV-5, Canal+ in France and Japan's TV Asahi with details of more television rights coming soon.
For those who don't have access to FoxSR, the races usually show up on YouTube, or Formula E's website a few days after the event. Also RDS.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
RDS will air the first race (Beijing, China) Sat 13 Sep 2014, 10:25am. During the Italian Grand Prix, the announcer mentioned that RDS has acquired the broadcast rights. Since RDS is TSN's french sister, I imagine TSN will also follow suit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
jlet: not necessarily, RDS has a bit more racing programming that isn't carried on TSN (World Rallycross, DTM, MotoGP, and now apparently FormulaE)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yup it is on live on Speed. Unfortunately, I hear Rogers has dropped Speed. Fortunately, I have Shaw and they still carry it. So I highly doubt TSN will be showing it.

·
Registered
689 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's listed as 1:30-3:00am MDT on Speed Canada in the Shaw Direct guide.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah that's what it shows on my Shaw Cable guide and then repeated a few times through the week, Saturday is going to be a late night for me, stay up to watch Formula E and then at 3:30 AM MDT is the Port Adelaide Aussie football game.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Mandatory 1 minute, 49 second pit stop to change cars when the battery runs down! Not a great race, with few passes, just a bit of stupidity at the end with a terrible move by Prost. We'll see how they do on a better track, one that's not square with 4 90 degree turns. I didn't see any graphics where the driver got into 5th gear.

There's a good overview of the cars here: http://www.wired.com/2014/08/formula-e-2/

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Wait, they change cars when the battery runs down?
Ya they are sooooo behind ..

With R/C racing I just swap batteries when they go flat ;)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What channel was this Formula-E on?

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RDS & Speed (for those who still have it)

I just sent Formula E an e-mail advising that most of English Canada currently cannot watch their races and that they may wish to negotiate with someone like TSN or SN. Others interested may wish to do something similar.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wait, they change cars when the battery runs down?
Yes, the batteries weigh 772 lbs, so a battery change is out of the question.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
How many of these battery / car changes are required during the course of an average race?

Maybe I'll have to try and catch one of these races on-line (we are cord cutters) to see if it really works. I used to follow automobile racing much more closely but the never ending commercials on US races completely turned me off to them and I lost the F1 races when I cut the cord.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Anyone know where the race can be downloaded from?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How many of these battery / car changes are required during the course of an average race?

Maybe I'll have to try and catch one of these races on-line (we are cord cutters) to see if it really works. I used to follow automobile racing much more closely but the never ending commercials on US races completely turned me off to them and I lost the F1 races when I cut the cord.
The races are short, less than an hour, so 1 change is expected. In fact, each driver has 2 cars. The rules for set-up must be interesting. I can see a lot of R&D going into battery longevity, as I believe as of next year, the teams will be able to modify or replace the batteries.

The actual pit stops were very boring in the last race, with most teams getting the change done in a minute or so, then waiting for the signal from the team member with the stop watch for the OK to go. Prost, who led throughout, was the only one to hit exactly 1:49. The others were all over by 2 or more seconds.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
It was nice to be able to DVR it from Speed and watch it on Saturday. The FIA seems to want to push this series. They put the whole thing up on Youtube. If I had known they were going to do that I would have just watched it that way without the commercials they slammed into it on Speed.

I thought it was interesting. Weird sound, yeah, but the racing was pretty good. Lots of pretty high-profile names from F1, Indycar and Sportscar racing. I think it's a good idea to do all the races on street courses as that plays to their strengths - cornering and maneuverability - and downplays the weaknesses - low power and therefore slow speed on the straights.

I liked it enough to watch more events. I haven't seen a schedule, but since they started in Sept. I assume the other 9 races will go through the fall/winter.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts