Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of many reasons why you can`t trust the CRTC to look out for consumers.

Quebecor Inc. (TSX:QBR.A)(TSX:QBR.B) is pleased to announce the appointment of Françoise Bertrand to the position of Chair of its Board of Directors. Ms. Bertrand has been a member of the Board since 2003. She is also Chair of the Compensation Committee and a member of the Corporate Governance Committee. The appointment is effective immediately.

Françoise Bertrand is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec (FCCQ). She previously distinguished herself as Chairperson of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission and Chief Executive Officer of the Société de radio-télévision du Québec (Radio-Québec).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Yet another example of the 'good old boys' network in action and rewarding one of their own again. Any guesses as to where the current CRTC chair is going after his term? (Clue: It starts with B and rhymes with hell.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
makes sense they would not want to upset their future employers by making decisions that negatively affect them.

Sorry sad state of affairs I must say...time to throw the baby out with the bathwater and abolish the CRTC.:mad:

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
It's a board appointment, that's not the same as being an employee.

For the record, she's also on the Board of Directors for FIDEC. She's also been gone from the CRTC for a decade. She has a day job (CEO of Fédération des chambres de commerce du Québec).

Business people get appointed to Boards all the time. For the record, Brian Mulroney is also on the Quebecor board. If there's an argument to be made that it is somehow inappropriate for her to on the board, then isn't the same true of the former head of government that empowers the CRTC?

At some point, people are entitled to earn a living. Public sector senior management and executive job pay like crap compared to the private sector.

Not all of Quebecor's business interests even fall within the sphere of the CRTC (Osprey Media, Sun Media, Canoe, TVA Publishing, Media Pages, and all their retail chains have nothing to do with the CRTC).

If she left the CRTC directly for a job with Quebecor, concerns would be valid. If she left and received a Board appointment immediately, concerns would be valid. A decade later? Not so much.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
JohnnyCanuck, are you saying that board members don't get reimbursed? I don't care how long it takes, it still reeks of insider back slapping and conflict of interest. The whole concept of company CEOs and owners serving on each others' boards is often little more than an insider network to engage in questionable business practices. As for Brian Mulroney, didn't he just barely skate on a charge of illegal influence peddling at one time? It just shows where Canada's major corporations stand in the ethics department.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Of course they get reimbursed and get a stipend.

My point about 10 years is pretty simple. Even the most stringent non-compete clauses expire after 12 to 18 months. What right does anyone have to restrict her livelihood a decade later? Why would anyone ever go into public service if that was the case?

If you're telling me that by taking a public sector job I was forever limiting my ability to do my work back in the private sector again, the public sector would never have the benefit of my services. Myself and many others.

Mulroney was just to illustrate a point. Should Heenan not be allowed to offer Jean Chretien (and Pierre Trudeau before him) parternships because somewhere in the vast list of clients one of Canada's pre-eminent law firms may be a public sector company? Your expectations aren't reasonable.

·
Registered
532 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts